Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini Sports Sedans - Where are they Now

Weekend Warrior

Smile Mini Sports Sedans - Where are they Now

Hi Guys
    So I thought I would start a thread close to my heart. Mini Sports Sedans. Chasing the where abouts of the People, Cars or Both if I got that lucky
    For me would be primarily in Australia, but I will never knock back any from Anywhere.
    The ones I remember from growing up and being involved would be -
    Ross Whittig
    Paul Gulson
    Darryl Gretrix/ John Kinealy ( KG Eng car )
    Peter Farr
    Neil Mason
    Alan Braszell. Vic.
    Jane Taylor
    Steve Jagger
    Ex Barry Jones Car
    Dean Gall
    I'm sure there are alot more that will spring to mind as this all goes along hopefully.
    I hope to be able to get in contact with some if possible, just to have a talk and add photos, info, etc to my collection.

Thanks

Ian

Yeah, awesome idea! Although not officially classified as a Sports Sedan, Don Holland raced this Mini in Sports Racing Closed, the precursor to Sports Sedans.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 3820
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 3672
Size:  82.4 KB

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Steve
    That would be correct, this is the car that Fred Sayers now owns and I think is still racing over there in the NZ Southern Festival of Speed at the moment.

Ian

Semi-Pro Racer
    I saw this one although again not a Sports Sedan, running with the Group C's at the Lakeside 50th bash last year. Has the name Battersby on it and was immaculate. I assumed it must have some early Touring Car significance from the early days.

Last edited by TonyG; 03-11-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Bad spelling

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Tony,
    Thats John Battersby's Group C Car, a local mate to where I am. He also has an Nb Mini that his son now runs, now that John has the Group C car to play in.
    Great photos by the way, anymore Mini's?

Thanks

Ian

Semi-Pro Racer
    Just some of the Group N's. Thought I took more of the Mini's at Lakeside especially the Gp C car but I was wrong.

Semi-Pro Racer

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Tony
    Car No 270 is John's Nb Mini with his son driving.
    How long have you been taking photos?
    You haven't got any from the 70's and 80's of Mini Sports Sedans have you?

Thanks

Ian

Semi-Pro Racer
    Hi Ian
    Started taking photos 40 years ago in NZ but gave it away 20 years ago when I got married and moved over here. Just started again a couple of years ago when I bought a digital.
    Sorry thats all I have mini wise.
    Cheers
    Tony

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Ian,

And I though I was the only one interested in the history of the Supermini's and Mini Sports sedans. I don't have a lot, but happy to share what I've collected.

I believe the Gulson car still exists. It was run by the Hume Brothers for a number of years. They were unable to sell the car as a whole, so the 13B rotary and Hewland transaxle were sold off separately. I tried to buy the rolling shell a number of years ago, but the price was out of my league. I need to follow this up.

I think the KG car was destroyed at Amaroo. Henry Draper would know what happened to the remains. I've actually though about making a replica of this car.

Photo by C.Cracknell

Another Victorian Andrew Nicole's car I am lead to believe was destroyed in the Kinglake fires

Here's another

This car was parted out by friends of mine. I've ended up with the adjustable front end. Who knows what happened to the shell & logbook.

Toby Tylers car is still in good condition. Photo taken at a mini show two years ago

Steve

Weekend Warrior
    Here's some photos I took at Minifest 91

Steve Evans

Bill Stevenson

Unknown

Here's some more

Photo by C.Cracknell. Date & location unknown

Photo by R.Cook Date & location unknown

Photo by R.Cook Date & location unknown

This thread is fantastic! Thanks heaps for posting your pics guys.

Hi, I was wondering if the large flares that these cars use are still made and available ex Aussie??

We have an ex aus super mini that races in classics here that has them on. They look fantastic!

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Rookie
    Maybe there are only 2 of us that care .
    Great pics you have, I believe you have the ex Ray Molloy Car? Great resto you have done from what I have seen on another forum, its a credit to you.
    I hope you may be able to get up to Wakefield Park to have a run, with a bit of luck my car may be ready at the same time.
    I didn't realise the KG car was destroyed. I have copy of about 5 -6 races from 1981 at Amaroo Park that I play over and over.

Thanks

Ian

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Minihaha
    I think there are probably a few guys here that have moulds for the flares you are after.
    Shouldn't be a problem to organise some when you need them.
    Thanks

Ian

I care! I have been keeping an eye out for info on the Aussie superminis since there was an article in Fast fours and Rotaries in about 1992/3 ( when they were worth reading! ). More recently we've been getting your Mini mag that has articles on them. They are all very cool minis with all sorts of mods we didn't see much of over here. Please share links to good sites that have more info and pics.
    I am looking to start building another racecar using superminis as inspiration. Please fuel the motivation!!! :0)

Awsome, thanks Ian.

That Andrew Nicole Mini clubman looks LHD but the wiper is on the RHS???

Weekend Warrior
    The Late Peter Stoddart

Weekend Warrior
    Would this be Bill Thompson??