Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Mini Sports Sedans - Where are they Now

Will ask Phil for any pics he has as a starter. Was pale blue clubman sports sedan with xflow head. Had some thin red stripes down the side and over the flares.

I do get the red one out a fair bit. I live in Brisbane and regularly take it to Lakeside for a punt. I will be at MRA event in June 30th for a run. (will also be there in April to catch up withsome mates and support Chris Adlam as we grew up together) Unfortunately the MRA event doesnt cater well for a car like this. It cant run with the Grp N boys and is not competitive to run with the sports sedans. I figure I will take it out with the sports sedans anyway just so I can have a strap around the track.

It is a very early car. Was believed to have been imported privately and was already a track car. Jack ran the car competitively before Nelsen took it over setting many lap records and winning class championship in 81. The car was used by Brian Brooke for many years in Appendix J and was blisteringly quick doing a 63.8 in the late 90's at Lakeside. Not bad considering this was on the old narrow circuit and in Grp N trim.
    Last edited by coatesie; 03-30-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Why is it the car ran in App J in the '90s but can't now? Is it because you've returned it to Group C spec?

MINI PHOTOS

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Why is it the car ran in App J in the '90s but can't now? Is it because you've returned it to Group C spec?
    Hi there, just a few photos to add to the thread with more to come soon. Cheers Luke.:)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks for posting Luke. I see a very familiar car there. What year and issue are these out of?

Name:  Winton 80's.jpg
Views: 1860
Size:  42.5 KBName:  Winton1980's.jpg
Views: 1878
Size:  35.6 KBName:  east coast jumper.JPG
Views: 1834
Size:  129.2 KBsome more great old photos.

Awesome photos Luke, thanks heaps for posting.

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Luke,
    Thanks very much for posting the photos. Great to see more popping up.
    That looks just like my old East Coast Mini Challenge jumper that I can't for the life of me locate.

Thanks

Ian

Those sweatshirts must be rare now!

And a few more old shots. Name:  mini jumper.JPG
Views: 1730
Size:  87.9 KBName:  mini hat.JPG
Views: 1706
Size:  92.6 KBName:  mini t shirt.JPG
Views: 1678
Size:  95.5 KB

Weekend Warrior
    Now that's just teasing having that many jumpers and T Shirts. Hopefully we will be able to start all of this again, if I have my way, with the MRA guys.

Thanks

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Yes the car is back in Group C trim. It could be re-converted to group N specs but it means changing a lot of things, including engine, wheels and slicks, removing all decals and some are painted on. Not complaining at all, love the car this way and looking forward to driving it at Wakefield next month. Still trying to hunt down some pics of Phil's old car though.
    It went on to Tim Tritton who then binned it, and converted it into that orange space framed thing that is now on my105 for sale.

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Coastie,

Would be great to see you out there mixing with the boys.
    I hope to be going down for a look and take some photos, so I will come and say hello if I do.

Thanks

Ian

Couldn't believe it. Spoke to Phil as I have always known his car to be blue with red detailing but he said he painted it black with flames on it just before he sold it......low and behold there is a pic of it in the black on page 2.

Quote Originally Posted by mini33 View Post
    Name:  Winton 80's.jpg
Views: 1860
Size:  42.5 KBName:  Winton1980's.jpg
Views: 1878
Size:  35.6 KBName:  east coast jumper.JPG
Views: 1834
Size:  129.2 KBsome more great old photos.
    Great shot at Winton. Frederickson leading, Devlin, Ron Simmonds in the ex Doug Byrne KG Engineering colors,
    and Henry Draper, with Keith Spark next .Great Days.

Color photo is at a wet Calder meeting, with Ron Simmonds leading in the KG Engineering colors, with Keith Spark in the blue car with some unknown cars following.

Here is one I recently found and will restore to race in the new East Coast Series. Its called the Minisprint and was in a shed since 1974 following a minor accident at Surfers Paradise. The original builder/owner still had the car under tarps in the shed.

Weekend Warrior
    That's Awesome, can't say I can ever remember seeing or reading about a Mini Sprint being raced here. Great find, I am sure you will do it justice

Thanks

Ian

Hi all,
    Good news
    The Gulson/Hume Mini sports sedan that I mentioned earlier in the thread still exists.!!!! I spoke to it's current owner the other day. It won't be on the track any time soon. He started sourcing some bits to get it going, and painted it, but then lost interest.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Bally; 02-26-2015 at 02:43 PM.