Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Mini Sports Sedans - Where are they Now

Is that Brian Potts Torana either the ex-Bob Jane or Bryan Thomson car by any chance?

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Is that Brian Potts Torana either the ex-Bob Jane or Bryan Thomson car by any chance?
    I think it was Potts' own work......with, perhaps, some help from Mike Dyer?

Weekend Warrior
    On the subject of race minis l've been wondering if my old shellsport clubman GT is still alive and kicking these days , would love to buy it back . Was sold to a guy in Palmerston North 25 years ago now who's name escapes me and the last time l ever saw the car it was painted white l think . Very light weight body and 2 sets of 13 inch revloutions with it , originally built buy a bloke Silver from Palmerston , then owned by Brian Hartley and then by myself . If anyone knows of this car l'd appreciate a call / text on 027 283 0920 or home 03 215 9493

Quote Originally Posted by xu1nut View Post
    On the subject of race minis l've been wondering if my old shellsport clubman GT is still alive and kicking these days , would love to buy it back . Was sold to a guy in Palmerston North 25 years ago now who's name escapes me and the last time l ever saw the car it was painted white l think . Very light weight body and 2 sets of 13 inch revloutions with it , originally built buy a bloke Silver from Palmerston , then owned by Brian Hartley and then by myself . If anyone knows of this car l'd appreciate a call / text on 027 283 0920 or home 03 215 9493
    Hi John, If it is the Hartley car which had the subframe moved up in the chassis etc, then it went to Lance Evans who amongst other things put a rear wing on it and a KAD 16v engine, it was run here like that for several seasons by Lance and was sold to the States some years ago. Might have a photo of it somewhere

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dekon View Post
    Hi John, If it is the Hartley car which had the subframe moved up in the chassis etc, then it went to Lance Evans who amongst other things put a rear wing on it and a KAD 16v engine, it was run here like that for several seasons by Lance and was sold to the States some years ago. Might have a photo of it somewhere
    Hi , yes that sounds like it unfortunately . Both subframes had been raised in the bodyshell . What a shame , still it was over 25 years ago now since l sold it so l guess the chances were not that good of it still being around . A picture would be much appreciated thankyou !

Cheers John A

Castrol/BMC minis

Name:  image318.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  74.7 KB

Journeyman Racer
    Hi Steve, The Potts car pictured is the ex Judith Durham, Bryan Thomson, Gene Cook, Wayne Myer, then to Potts. After Potts.. to the Lusty's raced by Don Grant for a bit. It was wrecked i think either late 80s early 90s.

Brian Potts did have a 6cyl Torana that Graham Smith later purchased and it was in the same colours. Smithy had a very big crash in it at Oran Park at the 77 ASSC round meeting.

Thanks for that Bondy. When you say it was wrecked in the late 80s or early 90s, was it wrecked in an accident, or was it stripped to build another car as so many Sports Sedans were?

Journeyman Racer
    Thanks for that Bondy. When you say it was wrecked in the late 80s or early 90s, was it wrecked in an accident, or was it stripped to build another car as so many Sports Sedans were?
    Steve, it had a big crash i think at lakeside with John Lusty at the wheel iirc.. There is a pic of it on Facebook, i think its in the Vic Flagmarshalling Group..

Thanks Bondy. Thats a shame, I always liked tat car.

Hi Guys
    Just found the website and spent hours looking at it. So here goes my first post. The Gulson Mini Sports Sedan was mentioned earlier in the thread. The the Hume Brothers (Humes Pipes) ran it for a while. It did hold the outright record at Ararat's "One Tree Hill" Hillclimb. This would have been when they used to run to the top of the hill. This car was offered to me early 90s. I have a pic of it somewhere along with a list of what you got for your money. $9500 from memory, pocket money now but when you're a young fella it was a big outlay. It was just a roller, engine and gearbox had been sold off. But it did come with a heap of spares. Was in Ballarat but where is it now ???? I'll have a look for the picture.
    Regards
    Last edited by Bally; 07-22-2013 at 08:17 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Bally
    Great to see another Mini enthusiast.
    Is this the Super Snooper Gulson car? That would be great if you could dig up any of the photos.
    Hope to hear more from you on this awesome forum.

Thanks

Ian

Name:  Gulcson Mini.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  73.1 KB
    Here's the Gulson/Hume car as I looked at it, probably early 90s. Sorry about the photo quality.
    Regards Bally.
    Last edited by Bally; 07-22-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Weekend Warrior
    Thanks Bally
    Wow BIG front splitter, looks to have been a very neat car though when you saw it last.
    I have a mission for you now ( should you accept to do it ) , to see if you can track it down, or any others for that matter.
    Are you still in Vic?

Thanks

Ian

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    Name:  image318.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  74.7 KB
    I took this photo at Symmons Plains in Mar /Apr 1967.
    They are Bob Holdens Lwt Mini and Cooper S
    He had raced them both at Longford 2 weeks or so previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Bally View Post
    Name:  Gulcson Mini.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  73.1 KB
    Here's the Gulson/Hume car as I looked at it, probably late 90s. Sorry about the photo quality.
    Regards Bally.
    Wow, thats a beast! Thanks for posting this.

Guys does anyone have any pics of a qld mini that was raced by Phil Swinton. It set many records and is still the fastest mini around lakeside at a 58sec run.
    Also thought I would post a pic of my own Grp C mini. While technically not a sports sedan, has been a racer for many years and ran Sports cars closed when it was first made. Car is in its 1980 livery when owned by Ken Nelson. Original owner was Jack Lacey.

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Coatesie
    Hopefully you will get someone on here that may have some photos.
    Very nice Gp C car of yours, do you get out in it much?
    I assume you are in Qld?, if you ever get down this way it would be great to have you run with us in a MRA event at Wakefield Park.

Thanks

Ian

Wow Coatesie, your Mini is stunning! It looks like an early model Mini, when was it first built into a race car?

Re the Phil Swinton Mini, do you have any photos of it you can post?