Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini Sports Sedans - Where are they Now

Weekend Warrior
    Now thats GREAT Mini Racing. Talk about on the limit.
    We need these guys over here, once a year with our guys at Bathurst and a full grid.
    I bet it would make great viewing for a support race ( 20 laps ) to the V8's.

Another thread I found tonight. The mini racing australia link doesn't seem to work for me though.

www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90282

Weekend Warrior
    I think they changed their name from mini racing australia to motor racing australia.

New web site is here http://www.motorracingaustralia.com.au/

Old web site here http://www.mypage.tsn.cc/shadowdragons/mra/

The supermini association made two submissions to run a field at the Australian GP, one in the early eighties, and one in the late eighties. Both submissions were unsuccessful. I think the category was considered too old and the cars too rough. Would have made good racing though.

Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior
    Some more

Weekend Warrior
    I took these around early to mid 90's Oran Park

Weekend Warrior
    And a few more.

Wow, these are REALLY cool!

Weekend Warrior
    And last ones for now until I can dig out more.

Thanks

Ian

I managed to wipe a few photo's from my Imageshack file, so I'll try again.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Weekend Warrior
    Great pics, so yours seem to be around the early to mid 90's. Do you have any pics from earlier on, say during 80's up till the 90's?

Thanks

Ian

Man I'm just loving these! Car #48 in post #51 is fantastic! Anyone know what became of this car?

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Man I'm just loving these! Car #48 in post #51 is fantastic! Anyone know what became of this car?
    I believe Car #48 could be Sue Ransome. I notice it has a Northern Mini parts sticker on the front guard, so maybe a Victorian car. I'II make a few enquiries to see if I can find out what happened to it.

Thanks Ian & Timbo for posting. Really enjoying this thread. Where have all the cars gone in the photos????

Weekend Warrior
    Hopefully Steve we might be able to find some of these cars down the track.
    I do know where the John Wakefield car is post #47 third pic down ( It's in my garage ) and also the where abouts of the Saintino Di Carlo car post #47 car 55.

Thanks

Ian

World Champion
    lisian......as a Mini driver myself, I would be interested to know the specifications of these cars, engine-wise....heads, carburetors, gearboxes, etc, and the sort of HP they are putting out. Thanks...G.F.

Rookie, Lisian, thanks for that info. Lisian, how about some pics of the car as it currently is?

Weekend Warrior
    Another off topic

Its exactly thirty five years to this day that Len McDonough lost his life at Sandown.
    I found this article today while researching the Peter Manton memorial race

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    lisian......as a Mini driver myself, I would be interested to know the specifications of these cars, engine-wise....heads, carburetors, gearboxes, etc, and the sort of HP they are putting out. Thanks...G.F.
    Hi AMC072

I can only speak for the Victorian Supermini Regulations, but I assume that the other states were the same.

Basically there were 4 divisions, based on a standard mini shell.

Division 1, as most of these photo show, are based on CAMS sports sedan regs at the time. A mini based engine & gearbox had to be used, but internals were free. Normally aspirated or forced induction, even eight port heads could be used (thus the bonnet bulges on some of these cars). The vehicle has to be front wheel driven. We were allowed to run 13” diameter fronts and 10” diameter rears. Stripped out interiors, including most of the factory metal work.

Division 2.
    Front & rear parcel shelves and rear firewall had to remain. Suspension had to be Hydro or Rubber cone suspension, as per the manufacturer. Lower arms could be adjustable and rose jointed. Engines had to be naturally aspirated and no more than 1390cc. You were able to run Perspex windows, and all hang on panels, including the front guards, could be alternative material ie fibreglass. Max rim width was 8”.

Division 3
    Steel body with all steel panels. Modifications were allowed to run a single carby, ie Weber. Standard glass retained. Naturally aspirated and no more than 1390cc. Car had to retain all interior. Max 6” wide rims. Appendix J cars competed under this category.

Division 4
    The same as Division 3 except no LSD or welded diffs, or racing tyres were permitted. Cars had to comply with CAMS category Group 2E Club Cars