Thread: A harder question

Semi-Pro Racer

A harder question

Obviously the Ross Greenville question was too easy. I had intended 'drip feeding' a question each day till someone got the correct answer. But Michael got it in one.
    SO
    A more difficult question. When Ross finally returned to NZ he brought with him a sports/racer called a "Campbell". It was not finished when he sold it, he thinks to someone in Te Awamutu or Te Kuiti or thereabouts. He suspects it never raced.
    Anyone know of it?

Semi-Pro Racer
    You're right, RF - that's harder

OTTOMH I don't recall a sportscar from that area

Campbell's Garage, IIRC, was a London area business Ross was involved with, possibly in partnership with George Henrotte

World Champion
    rf.......you have obviously talked to Mr Greenville about this mystery car. As you seemed to have stumped NZ's foremost Motoring Historian, for the moment, there is not much hope for the rest of us. Could you give us some more details/clues.....like the era the car was built, and was it a sports racer. Ross Greenville, one of the lads from Morrinsville did his racing a long time ago, and has now obviously 'retired' to Fiji where he lives a less aggravating life than motoracing. A car with an interesting name like 'Campbell' surely hasn't been lost to the system, and as we have all noticed, it is amazing what comes to light on this forum.

Semi-Pro Racer

Ross Greenville

AMCO72 you are quite right. Ross is living in Fiji (along with a lot of Kiwi expats). He can usually be found in the company of these guys at their local bar. The other ex racer of the group is Bill Leckie.
    Ross was so entertaining and so forthcoming with information that we simply ran out of time to pursue some lines of conversation, including details about the "Campbell". All I know is that it was a sports/racer.
    Fortunately I have a good friend who drinks with him regularly so I will get some more info on the car.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Just had an email from Ross. He actually brought 2 cars back. One was called a "Kiwi" and was based on parts of the Mk4 Gemini. Ross spoke very highly of the Mk4 whih he considered to be a car way ahead of it's time. It was in one of these that he had his big crash at Aintree in which he lost his left leg. He does not know what happened to the "Kiwi.
    The "Campbell" was just a chassis and running gear and Ross sold that to Roly Levis in 1966.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I remember him racing the Kiwi in the UK, but didn't realise he'd brought it back to NZ. If it raced, I guess it would have been after conversion to FF, and under another name

Cue Russ Cunningham