Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Modified 70s and 80s Saloons - Picture Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    And here is a car I'd only ever heard about, but never actually seen. This is the Chevy Monza, raced by another of the Algie brothers. Rod, which Algie was this? Its a good looking car, but rarely seen. Looking closely, it actually appears as if it might be a road going Monza modified into a race car, rather than a tube-frame fitted with a Monza body, as most Monza race cars were. But either way, I'd love to know more about it. Where is it now?

Attachment 18903
    Yeah that would be my car. It is/ was a stock body 77 Monza Spyder with a Lee Dykstra body kit and 500+hp 355 small block. I raced it from '85 through '89 and sold it to John Learmonth of North Shore, Auckland, to race. He proceeded to strip parts off it to sell and buy more parts and as far as I know it never ran again. I sold it for $15,000 but he only ever paid me $12,500 so if anyone knows his whereabouts....
    I live in Indianapolis, IN USA and have worked Indy car teams for 27 years and now am doing this.. http://members.iquest.net/~aca/

Hello David, been along long time. Loved that car of yours. Wondered what you were upto. Nice looking piece of aircraft, you guy's have been into this for awhile now. What ever happened to your motorbike, that was trick. Bumped into Ian and Barry at Hampton downs last year, good to catch up.
    Do you have any more photos of the Monza and Bike. (not many would know about the bike)

Hi Rod, been awhile for everyone for me. The bike you are probably thinking of was Nevil's FZR1000 (there were a few...), it ended up over here in the US. Only photos I have I need to scan, like most all were from before the PC, will do that and get them up.
    The Plane, the LP1, has been close to a 17 year project from scratch.

Yea remember now, Nevils, was under the stairs in entrance to think your parents place one night we dropped in, mean bit of gear. Didn't he do frame etc.

Pretty plane, had a mate I worked with who started to build one similar, composite and after 2 go's at laying up fuselage he ditched the lot, plug/frame etc.

Here is the Steve Webling Alfa. Is this the same Alfa that was the Coppertone car?

Attachment 18900
    Pretty sure it is.

Ran up against the Alfa a few times Steve and sure it was the ex Coppertone car. Had some pretty good dices back then.

I think the young Webling in FF a couple of years back is his son. Pretty good little peddler like his old man.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Inn reply to the question about this cars whereabouts from earlier in this thread.

[QUOTE=Kiwiboss;4207]
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Peter Meadows Corvette - does it still exist ?

I believe not!! back in about 96 i bought the complete diff, disc to disc out of this car and fitted it to the Hoffman Mustang when i built it as it was a full floater, and its still in there!! i purchased it from Duncan Fox when he was still at Buckland Beach, he said the bare frame was in a towing yard not far way, i drove past and can remember looking thought the yard(as i drove past) and could see the skeleton of a corvette with "Meadows" above the screen!! and even thats more than i wanted to know back then!!

Hope this helps

Dale Mathers

[QUOTE=TonyG;30166]Inn reply to the question about this cars whereabouts from earlier in this thread.

Lyall Martin from Lyall Carpainters along with Bruce Torrance the panel beater that worked with Lyall spent a lot of hours on this body. It was cut down middle and had around a foot put in it, and Lyall painted it. I think when it was damaged in shunt with young (then) Shane Windleburn at Puke some one else did touch up. (there was a reason for this apparently, Maybe Lyall was to busy)

And here is a car I'd only ever heard about, but never actually seen. This is the Chevy Monza, raced by another of the Algie brothers. Rod, which Algie was this? Its a good looking car, but rarely seen. Looking closely, it actually appears as if it might be a road going Monza modified into a race car, rather than a tube-frame fitted with a Monza body, as most Monza race cars were. But either way, I'd love to know more about it. Where is it now?

Attachment 18903
    I had a good look at this car... 1992-3 One of the Algie guys lived just off West Tamaki Rd. I was living near by and heard him as he blasted up and down West Tamaki Rd. What a noise. He was working for Truesports Indy car team at the time.

Found this on the OSCA site, It is 1987 when the North boys ventured South to play.
    Northern team was Ralph Mossman Viva Chev, Willis Commodore Chev, John Coulton Marina Chev and Jim Short Porsche.
    Think this right.
    Front is Kennard Cortina, hidden in behind is Mossman Viva then Willis Commodore, Vigurs Commodore, Munty Capri, Fisher Capri, behind is Coulton Marina (black) Shorty in Porsche and Osborne in RX
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Heres another from OSCA when some south boys visited Bay Park, Black and white back is Brian Friend Torana Chev (ex Harrington) then Aussie Fitzgerald in Porsche, Silver front is Warwick Grey Viva (Holden) then Osborne Camaro followed by Huxford Capri Chev and in the ex Bullivant Capri Chev is I think Cullinane before it went to Baker or other way round.
    What year guys
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Heres another from OSCA when some south boys visited Bay Park, Black and white back is Brian Friend Torana Chev (ex Harrington) then Aussie Fitzgerald in Porsche, Silver front is Warwick Grey Viva (Holden) then Osborne Camaro followed by Huxford Capri Chev and in the ex Bullivant Capri Chev is I think Cullinane before it went to Baker or other way round.
    What year guys
    My guess is December 1980 / January 1981, and Baker would be the new owner / driver

I agree re the ex-Bullivant Capri, this is Baker pictured. The Capri was fitted with McLaren wheels when Baker began racing it, which I assume could have been off the PDL Mustang. But I think you are spot on with everthing else Rod! Good spotting. Great pics !

Sports Sedans Pukekohe October 7th 1984

I found these photos the other day and thought they may be of interest

Name:  G-Addis-Pukekohe-1984.jpg
Views: 1808
Size:  132.9 KB

Name:  Addis-Pukekohe-1984.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  128.0 KB

Name:  78-Monaro-Pukekohe-1984.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  Algie-Monaro-Pukekohe-1984.jpg
Views: 1809
Size:  119.9 KB

Name:  Algies-Alfa-Pukekohe-1984.jpg
Views: 1677
Size:  119.3 KB

Name:  Ian-Algie-Pukekohe-1984.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  101.3 KB

Sports Sedans Pukekohe October 7th 1984

Name:  Woonton-Mazda-Pukekohe-1984.jpg
Views: 1809
Size:  116.0 KB

Name:  Wooten-Pukekohe-1984.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  116.3 KB

Name:  Willis-Commodore-Pukekohe-1.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  110.7 KB

Name:  Mossman-Viva-Pukekohe-198.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  122.8 KB

A couple more from NZIGP 1984

Name:  Grayson-Commodore-Pukekohe-.jpg
Views: 1701
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  Crowe-Starlet-Pukekohe-1984.jpg
Views: 1656
Size:  118.2 KB
    Last edited by BMCBOY; 02-12-2014 at 10:51 AM.

WOW, great pix and they all still live 1984-2014.
    Monaro does not have the side wheel arch covers here.
    Thanks for looking after them for so long and now posting them

Alfetta without door handles.......great photos.

The door handles were stolen when the box of parts arrived in Canada, never replaced.

Wow, these are amazing Ross! Some really great stuff in there. Boy what wild looking cars these were.

Be interesting to know what happened to some of these cars, such as the Brett Willis Commodore and Ralph Mossman Viva.

The Barry Algie Monaro looks good with those smaller rear bubble flares!

Steve, sad to report but Ralphs cars is no more (but bits of it survive in other cars) and Bretts car seems to have gone as well, they have looked but no luck as yet.

Ross, you have some great photos and thanks for shareing, just brilliant.