Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Modified 70s and 80s Saloons - Picture Thread

World Champion

British Super saloons

no details on this one
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Semi-Pro Racer
    Might be Mick Hill? in the VW beetle

Hey Bry, thanks heaps for posting these. I LOVE '70s British Super Saloons. They were an incredible combination of sedan and single seater parts and technology, and the end results were amazingly creative. Not all of them worked well, but most were really interesting. The John Pope Magnum Aston Martin is one of my favourites, although I don't think this car achieved the results that were hoped for. Ian Richardson ran a Chevy V8 powered Corvair. Then there was the V8 DAF etc.

The survival rate of these cars is pretty low, as is any sedan based formula in which cars are built using parts scavenged from old single seaters. Eventually the single seaters gain value again with collectors, and the parts are taken back again from the sedans.

But there is a revival for these cars taking place, and a really good field was assembled at Mallory Park recently:

World Champion
    Yes Steve - A great class of Racing with some GREAT cars. I know that this is a picture thread, but as you have posted a vid ,,i couldn't resist
    Last edited by bry3500; 09-13-2011 at 07:33 AM.

World Champion

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Yes Steve - A great class of Racing with some GREAT cars. I know that this is a picture thread, but as you have posted a vid ,,i couldn't resist
    This is cool. I wish they could have held it a little longer so we could see it launch.

World Champion

Brilliant. Thanks Bry. Just to confirm, that is the Mick Hill car as in the middle of the grid in post #162?

World Champion
    Right ...thanks Steve - I was wondering

World Champion

There is some real quality in that field. A pair of BMW M1s, a couple of DRM BMWs. Looks like a couple of Camaros too and an IMSA RX7. Real eclectic mix. But I'm struggling to find out any info on it.

World Champion
    Finnish Super Saloons I think Steve

that is not peter thurston there thats maurice lyon in the mk1 there he is the guy who built it with barry costello
    peter just had it from 1992-2009 he did very well in it but ran her down badly poor old girl was battered
    maurice is at oulton park there racing in the northwest gt's
    ive since rebuilt it an raced it check out www.allcarequipe.com
    or lee costello racing on facebook

World Champion
    Algie Afetta

QUOTE=lee costello;5611]that is not peter thurston there thats maurice lyon in the mk1 there he is the guy who built it with barry costello
    peter just had it from 1992-2009 he did very well in it but ran her down badly poor old girl was battered
    maurice is at oulton park there racing in the northwest gt's
    ive since rebuilt it an raced it check out www.allcarequipe.com
    or lee costello racing on facebook[/QUOTE]

Lee, thanks for that info and the website link. Great to see the car is in good hands. It looks stunning! I vaguely seem to recall it featured in CCC magazine some years ago (10-15 years ago at a guess). I think it was black and pink at the time, but could be wrong?

Good to see more of the Super Saloons being restored and raced again. Some very exciting cars were built for this class. Did any of the V8 Capri's survive?

Here is an old CCC cover from 1974.

Name:  ccc.jpg
Views: 5472
Size:  127.2 KB[

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Algie Afetta
    Yeah thats good isn't it. I've been trying to get a copy of the full races from Bay Park and Manfield. Not having much luck though.

World Champion
    Re Bay park and Manfield ..I'll ask Iain Eggleton, he may have footage

Thanks Bry. I know there is at least one member on here who has copies, but, them finding the time to to have them converted to dvd and then copied is the issue.

Talk him into it Steve, i would pay for a copy.

Ive got a copy I think, I'll double check and let you know. If so I was going to make a DVD up of a heap of early/mid 80's OSCA races along with some N.I. races and a wigram race to play and sell copies at out OSCA 40th Reunion night, Nov 5th.