Thread: Leadfoot Festival

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    The A40 Special and the Lola Mk2 (that unfortunately retired after two runs with clutch problems) plus the GeeCeeEss which Donald Suckling drove.

Any photos would be appreciated.
    only 1 of your A40, none of the Lola - did this only run on Friday?, and a sequence of the GeeCeeEss
    at the 2nd hairpin.

Cheers
    MS
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoSmith View Post
    only 1 of your A40, none of the Lola - did this only run on Friday?, and a sequence of the GeeCeeEss
    at the 2nd hairpin.

Cheers
    MS
    Thanks - nice photos. The Lola only ran on the Friday and had clutch problems - it didn't like being slammed into 1st gear to get up the hill.

Here is a photo of the Lola (somehow I've ended up with two photos??)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by RogerH; 03-29-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Go hard, son !
    I feel the urge to paint eyes on the headlights, though....maybe too many cartoons as a kid...
    Yeah its got funky looks hasnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Hey Greg, that must have been a real blast! Love the pics Martin, thanks for posting. Greg, where did you get the period race suit and helmet? Was the car on cross-plies or radials? Kind of look like radials to me.
    Yes it was a real blast Steve! The period suit and helmet was what Tony Thacker brought over with the car. Yep - radials.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoSmith View Post
    It certainly looked like a lot of fun from the otherside of the tape.
    Thanks it sure was.

World Champion
    I just know I'm going to get shot down over this one, but here goes.....In MY opinion, the Guys and Gals that drive old open-wheel race cars and sports cars should be required to wear open-faced helmets. Steve commented on how great the driver of the El Caballo hot-rod looked in his period suit and helmet...and another shot a bit later of a driver of an old 'something'...possibly an Aston, looked equally period in his flying goggles and leather covered helmet, and the GeeCeeEss driver and others. I have always thought full-face helmets look slightly ridiculous on drivers of older cars......yes yes yes...I know there is the safety thing and all the rest, but come on fellas, fork out another $200 on an open-face Bell and you will really look the part. As it is now, the whole image is ruined......Stig especially so.

Once again I'm with you on this one Amco especially if your in an old saloon ,what the hell do you need a full face helmet for. When I drove my Cooper Vincent I used a full face, with such a tiny screen its the only way one could see.

World Champion
    Would really like to have oldfarts comments on this, as it is the VCC boys who I am thinking of here. Actually, in the event of a crash both styles will give the head reasonable protection, it is the neck that is the problem, and with the extra weight of a full-face, the neck is going to come in for some serious shaking. I always thought that the full-face idea was developed for the motorcross riders to stop all the shit getting thrown in their face, and then it went from there. Bike helmets are constructed a bit differently from car helmets anyway, as they are designed for a ripping or skidding action. I am sure I was born in the right generation, when we rode Triumphs and Nortons in a T shirt, shorts and jandals, and I'm still here to tell the tale!!!!!!!....Lucky ???......probably, as we used to regularly sit on 80 to 90 mph between Lincoln College and Christchurch back in 1959, 20 miles of sheer bliss; can still here the 750 Bonneville as I write this!!!!!! The modern generation of riders will never know the thrill that that sort of riding gives. Perhaps only farmers on their quad bikes get the same feeling.......I think it is called 'Shooting the Breeze'.