I wonder if this safety stuff deserves another thread. Along with a lot of people out there I grew up with races like the Waimate/Dunedin street events, where a couple of hay bales at the base of a lamp post were basically there to indicate danger - not to be hit unless you wanted to hurt yourself. I think that even now should the organisers be prepared to run the same course with the same safety features that there would be a lot of drivers prepared to race.
Illegal to ride a push bike with out a helmet, and on and on, to 5+ airbags in your car. I am well aware - having been around motor racing in the 60's - that there is great danger in motor racing. Every racing Drivers wife was asked "Dont you worry about all the risk?" when they were being interviewed. Having said all of that, I put on my helmet and do up the seat belt every time I race nowadays. I would not be let out the gate if I didn't, but I have the option of undoing the buckles once I am out there - but I don't - and to tell you the truth I think I drive faster because of it.