Thread: 67 Shelby GT350 mustang

Journeyman Racer

Question 67 Shelby GT350 mustang

In my latest AUTOWEEK mag there is an advert for a Mustang for sale here.USA.That states in its history that it was raced in AUSTRALIA.Anyone know who and when raced.car can be viewed on canepa.com.I am curious.

Steve, is this the car? http://www.canepacollection.com/deta...d-5117120.html

Interesting, I'd wondered what happened to that car. Greg Cusack raced it, then Niel Allen took it over before he had his big crash after which he cut right back on his racing. Then Fred Gibson drove it.

Thanks for the heads up Steve, good to know where its at now.

Not a GT350.

Weekend Warrior

canepa

a friend has purchased a few cars from Canepa in the past. He has had nothing but positive experiences when dealing with them.
    This Mustang seems to check out OK. Not sure about the 'Ford of Australia' link. However the rest of the history seems to be in order.....but waay too expensive.

sadly adrian Ryan is no longer with us and FOA has no archive or historical expert to verify the FOA link; maybe Ian Vaughan.

Check this out, I found this on youtube.

The Shelby American Racing Team GT350 SFM5R002 as found in a mexico shed

http://youtu.be/JKuaGUi9P0k

Quote Originally Posted by M10B View Post
    a friend has purchased a few cars from Canepa in the past. He has had nothing but positive experiences when dealing with them.
    This Mustang seems to check out OK. Not sure about the 'Ford of Australia' link. However the rest of the history seems to be in order.....but waay too expensive.

sadly adrian Ryan is no longer with us and FOA has no archive or historical expert to verify the FOA link; maybe Ian Vaughan.
    I don't think this car would be accepted to race with the Historic Trans-Am group as I don't think it ever raced in the Trans-Am in period before making its way to Aus, so it has a more limited use than other similar cars. Then again maybe they'd make an exception. Probably has more historical value in Aus I would have thought?

Are there really only five of the 26 Shelby Mustangs known to exist? Including this car, the Bowdens have one, and there is one in NZ, thats three right there. Surely must be more than two others in the US?

They've found more than 5 Steve, probably haven't updated there list in a while, but yes quite amazing several found there way to NZ and Aus, im sure the main reason was a fastback was considered a B Prodution sports car so a Trans Am coupe was the next best "Saloon" that legal for NZ and Aus Saloon's rules.

As for SFM5R002, huge USA history with this Shelby, i saw it at Steve Volk's museum in Colorado while visiting some years back, quite a time worp.

Dale Mathers
    Attached Images Attached Images