Thread: "Only Driven On Sundays"..Buying an 'old' Race Car,Cost ,Commitment and Bullshit !!

Semi-Pro Racer

"Only Driven On Sundays"..Buying an 'old' Race Car,Cost ,Commitment and Bullshit !!

...Christchurch,back in the 60's, I caught up with my friend at the 'local' hotel after work one Tuesday night,where he was very animated with regard to the fact that he had just found a 'Sports Car' in Ashburton on his drive back from Timaru,was slightly ticked off that his Dad (who was just the best Mentor and friend to me!) wouldnt cover his palm with the extra cash or give him time off work to immediately go and pick it up...at the table sat a couple of our friends wadding thru a 'Jug' each,all of us where taken in by the Find,probably all thinking..."How Come I can never find a special car like this.just the chance"...money was a thing that would stop most of us in those days (Nothings changed in 40yrs!!)

Well all calmed our friend down and planned a Saturday 'Pay and Pick-up' safari to Ashburton,leave time was to be around 8.00 (incase we had a 'Big' Friday night!)...this Car was a 'Real' rare Sportscar with Triumph TR2 running gear,(Named after a 'Bird'????!!!!)........Come Wednesday one of the 'Table' crew at the 'Bar' was missing in Action,off the social 'Radar' so to speak,Thursday,still no sign of our missing person,come Friday he drove in to my Friends 'Servo',driving the 'Sports Car'..."look what I just Bought"!!!.........The Air was 'BLACK',restraint was required to save 'our' friend from spending the rest of his life behind bars for a crime of Passion...."I kill the barstard",comes to mind........the 'crack' in the friendship exists till this day,oh !!!you can 'Superglue' the Crystal back together,the Crack will always be there !!!

So how do you get to be in the 'right' place at the right time,remember the heading..The Cost,The Commitment,its some times better to pay a more and get a lot more, than pay less and get nothing.....the Bullshit !!!,just remember there is plenty of that,its a bit like looking for the engagement ring the dog ate,you have to sift through it to find the real Gold!!!......

So talking about Gold!!!...Look under, The Roaring Season-'Wanted,Period Race Cars 'For Sale !!.......No Bullshit!!!

regards.thunder427/MJ......Would you buy a 'Used Car' from this man !!!!!:co
    Last edited by thunder427; 04-01-2012 at 11:00 AM.

World Champion
    thunder427, I'm racking my brains here to think of a rare sports car with TR2 running gear!! And named after a bird no less. Hang on, it's just come to me.....Swallow Doretti. Howzat!!!!!!!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    thunder427, I'm racking my brains here to think of a rare sports car with TR2 running gear!! And named after a bird no less. Hang on, it's just come to me.....Swallow Doretti. Howzat!!!!!!!
    ...Extremely well Done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...top of the class!,you can go home early today!....regards Myles

World Champion
    Myles....its only a couple of old Ferry Road boys that would know such an obscure car. How are you my friend? You haven't been posting so much these days, well not like last winter anyway. You must be too busy making money!!!!!

One in Auckland I know of!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Myles....its only a couple of old Ferry Road boys that would know such an obscure car. How are you my friend? You haven't been posting so much these days, well not like last winter anyway. You must be too busy making money!!!!!
    AMCO72,things are fine this end,not sure about 'the making money' sentiment,seem to be spending it before I get it lately,you know the odd 'Speed Part' (that i might neeeeeeed!)reminds me of that Quote!!"whats Junk"??...something you throw out 3days before you need it !!!.........I was thinking after your 'Ferry Road Boys' quote how many times I must have driven 'Up and Down' that road,to Sumner,parked around on the road to 'Taylors Mistake', Mr Chromie was the local Sumner Police dept.(all in one) the Cave Rock Hotel,'Cave Rock' its self,which is Now damaged, I believe,'Shag Rock', thats gone!!!...trying to surf on my, Dennis 'Quane' of Sumner,surf board with out much success (bit like my Guitar Leasons!! , ambitious, but no talent!!!).... the night when my buddies, after dropping me of in Papanui,they heading home to Sumner,rolled the Morris Minor at the new Tunnel /Ferry Road Roundabout,'Black Ice',then tossed the 3 unbroken 1/2 gallon Jars in the Estuary river before the LAW arrived,which didn't (probably tucked up in bed at 2.00 in the morning!!).........thanks for that 'flashback', that was fun........regard to yourself,I'll try and write more often,thunder427/Myles
    Last edited by thunder427; 04-01-2012 at 01:50 PM.