Howard, I had forgotten the wire-wheel issue. Any vigorous cornering would almost certainly end up with buckled wheels, especially if you lightly brushed the curb, and this was made worse by the sticky-ish tyres. I think that with technology today we have an advantage over the old days......better wheel bearings, crack testing components, much better machining etc, and I would like to think that a present day restorer of a car being used in VCC events and others, would take advantages of all the improvements available. But as someone pointed out, the origin of some of these parts is dodgy to say the least, but if that is all that is available, your stuck. We had a CV joint, of unbranded manufacture, seize on the Mini during the Festival....down the front straight at 130+ MPH......a very unpleasant and dangerous happening. Fortunately there was no one else around me, as the car was heading for the wall, and there could have been a nasty pile-up. We now use good second hand CV's for 1100's made in Canada, and I feel much happier, and we also use a very special industrial grease, far better than the crap that comes with a new kit. As is being pointed out by others, we not only have to ensure our own safety, but also the safety of other competitors, and I hope we are all thinking the same thing, as things can go horribly wrong in a fraction of a second. Sometimes I think that the best safety precaution that we can employ is 'less lead in the right foot!!!!!