Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usernames?

Usernames?

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    but I shure hope this site does not get like the ten tenths
    Prompted by this comment,I thought I would throw this question out there. I have pretty much stopped visiting ten tenths now as it has turned into quite a shitfight on several of the NZ forums.On my last visit I was having a pleasant enough discussion with someone about placement of fuel tanks, and some big head jumped on calling me a "self appointed engineer" or something to that effect. I don't need personal attacks, and have not been back since.

Over here everyone seems like quite a level headed bunch. Question to Steve Holmes especially, and everyone else, (and I know many are doing this already) how does everyone feel about using their real names on here, instead of a nom-de-plume or nickname? I know many of the people who post on here use a nickname, but make it quite obvious to all who they are, which is a good thing. It may just make the plonkers think twice about joining, as I am sure this site is going to become very popular. And being "popular" means the inevitable riff raff will want to come along and give us their 2c. Just my thoughts, what do you guys think?

Conrad Timms
    Last edited by conrod; 04-07-2012 at 10:29 PM.

World Champion
    Conrad, I bought this very subject up with our administrator right at the start last winter. I suggested that if you just want to browse through the site using a nom de plume that was ok, but if you wanted to post..ANYTHING...your real, given name, should be available in the new members part. I like to know WHO I am a 'having a vigorous discussion' with. Steve obviously knows the identity of everyone who joins, but the rest of us don't. I have posted close to 500 pieces and have 'put my foot in it' a few times!! Some posters use their proper name, I dont, but can easily be identified by looking up on new members list. Steve told me he was happy the way it was......is that still the case Steve?

World Champion
    Of course, Steve can remove stuff that is posted that goes beyond what is right and proper, but he can't be sitting at the computer all day policing what is written. He has removed stuff before today, and given those responsible a tune-up, but I sense that he would rather let unfortunate comments from people, riff raff as Conrad calls them, get sorted out by forum members, rather than wield the big stick. However, he is the BOSS and what he says goes!!!!

Steve who?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Read View Post
    Steve who?
    Some guy with the username 'Steve Holmes', but we've no idea of his real name.

Real name might be John Holmes ????????????

World Champion
    This story is getting a bit like Sherlock Holmes. Will the real Holmes please stand up!!! Where is the fella anyway......must be at the beach; hasn't posted for a while.

Conrad, thanks for your concerns. I've been a long time visitor/member on various motoring and motorsport related discussion forums for years, which is perhaps the reason I'm happy for members to have Usernames that hide their real identity. I do prefer people provide a little info about themselves when they first join, but this isn't compulsory. But the fact someone doesn't post in the Intro section, doesn't mean they've come here to cause trouble.

One of the best forums, currently, in my opinion, is the Jalopy Journal/HAMB, for traditional hot rods: www.jalopyjournal.com The HAMB has just over 170,000 (one hundred and seventy thousand!) members, with a large portion of them having Usernames that have no relation to their real identity. But the behaviour there is generally very good, with the longer term members, and the Administrator keeping things in check. New members join, see how well others behave, show some respect to fellow members, and this snow-balls. The whole process works very well. Any members who act like dickheads, are soon shown the door. I plan to run The Roaring Season the same, and although we have only a small membership thus far, the behaviour of our members and the subject matter are both really impressive, and this sets the tone for new members who join.

I want people to enjoy themselves when they visit this place, and I really enjoy the piss-taking that takes place between people like Gerald Fogg (AMCO72) and Jim Short, as this shows there is a relaxed nature about the place, where people are comfortable.

And don't worry, this place won't become like some of the other discussion forums you've mentioned. For a start, in my experience, bad behaviour in motorsport discussion forums is far more rife when the subject matter is modern motorsport, as very little knowledge is required before people consider themselves an expert, and start mouthing off when they should really just shut-up. Historic racing, and motorsport history, does tend to attract people who have a more genuine interest in the subject matter, where the community itself is more close-knit, and the people generally better behaved.

People often become very brave when hidden behind a Username that doesn't reveal their true identity, and will suddenly gain the courage (for want of a better word) to speak to others in a way they wouldn't have the guts to do if they were face to face. But that hasn't happened yet on The Roaring Season, and if it does, that person will be shown the door.

World Champion
    Thanks Steve for that. That said, I still like to KNOW who I am 'chatting' to. Jim and I have known each other for donkeys years, so a bit of 'piss taking' as you call it is OK. I have had a similar feeling of ease with others, as I can feel that they are on my wavelength....Dave of course, and thunder427, Miles, when the forum first started. I think we had each decided how 'far' we could go with the 'insults' and not offend the other guy. I have enjoyed, so far, most of the stuff on RS, some of it has annoyed me, and I have put my foot into discussions I should have left alone. Never mind, keep up the good work......remember what Henry Ford said.......'you can't build a reputation on what you are GOING to do'......How true.

Gee Amco a mistaka I make you not seroius please disregard the white powder {only flour] in that envelope that should arrive tomorrow or next day and dont even open the get well card due mon next old buddy

Thank you for the reply Steve (and others!) This is a great site, and long may it remain so. I guess being a site that is dedicated to Motorsport History means that its users tend to be more "mature" than other sites that are of more a general nature.

I myself have been involved in Motorsport at a professional level for over 20 years, and although I have been involved to the very top (world championship) level, most of my work now centres around historic racing cars, as that is where my interest lies. Having said that I am "only" 43 years old, and with a few exceptions struggle to get excited about many of the modern classes of Motorsport.

And although there will always be big ego's wherever there is motorsport, Historic racing generally has a lower number of these compared to modern classes, as most of us now realise we will not be getting that call from Ron Dennis any time soon!

Conrad

And i thought all the time Mr Short was serious, bugger!

Thank you Rod good to see you young folks still have some respect for your Idols [mr} had a good catch up with Ralph at Taupo.Hard to beleive at first didnt recorganise each other told me how you played up at P I

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    Thank you for the reply Steve (and others!) This is a great site, and long may it remain so. I guess being a site that is dedicated to Motorsport History means that its users tend to be more "mature" than other sites that are of more a general nature.

I myself have been involved in Motorsport at a professional level for over 20 years, and although I have been involved to the very top (world championship) level, most of my work now centres around historic racing cars, as that is where my interest lies. Having said that I am "only" 43 years old, and with a few exceptions struggle to get excited about many of the modern classes of Motorsport.

And although there will always be big ego's wherever there is motorsport, Historic racing generally has a lower number of these compared to modern classes, as most of us now realise we will not be getting that call from Ron Dennis any time soon!

Conrad
    Thanks Conrad, have you done an intro just to say hello and tell the other members a little about yourself? http://www.theroaringseason.com/foru...-Yourself-Here

Exactly why do some not wish to post under their real name? What is the problem? What is your problem?

A name does not provide a means of identity, dangerous within cyberspace. Surely concealment when passing comment indicates a lack of intestinal fortitude. When reading posts I am inclined to react accordingly.

Trevor Sheffield.

Good Ralphy, He told you Jim about me keeping an eye on them and keeping them inline, now you know how hard that can be.

Hi Trevor do you remember meeting me Epson motor show??

Sorry Jim, I do not.

What was the date of the show? It would have to have been way back in time.

Semi-Pro Racer
    ....About 1971/2 I was in Shepperton,aprox 2hour/plus drive from Melbourne,meet 3 'Aussies' friends of the family I was staying with,'Ocker','Pigpen' and ''Dirty Jeff,over a couple of Saturday 'arvo beers, I volunteer to pick up the 'Likely Lads' and drive them to the Annual Dance/Ball at the Town Hall,around 7.30 as arranged I knock on the front door!!!!!....Smart looking Lady comes to the door,whom I immediately assume is the Mother of one of the Trio!!!.......I am dumfounded!!!!...what are thier real names???????...who do I ask for????

"Oh!! HI!!!,You must be Myles,you've come to pick-up 'Ocker','Pigpen' and 'Dirty Jeff'......"Phew,I'm glad you said that ,I dont believe I know thier real names",I stammer, relieved, of the hook!!

'Oh, I dont know why we as parents bother giving them names,you send them to school and they come home with new names they will be known as for the rest of thier live,we as parents just give up"!!!!!!

Tags, Nicknames,can be a bit of fun for EG; 3 guys arrived from NZ around 1980,Peter, Paul and Gavin,thier friend had asked me to buy a 'panelvan',a good one, as the 'boys' where heading to West Australia/Perth and the plan was to 'round trip' and sell the P/Van,cashed up head home to NZ............well I had the 'Signwriter' signing up a 'drag' car I had just 'Custom painted' so I got him to write on the 'Tailgate'...wait for it !!!!..."Peter, Paul and 'Mary' on tour'......ever since the 'Gavin' factor has been known as 'Mary'....I never ever get Christmas cards !!!!..............

This is a 'Fun Forum' and I like being 'thunder427'...thunder for 'Thunder Road'/my bussiness...427 for my most favourite Camaro......and if I am answering my 'Ferry Road' friend AMCO, I enjoy signing off with Myles,as we are/have become friends.......thanks to the openess of The Roaring Season Forum..........lets keep it 'Optional' !!!!........regards thunder427/Myles
    Last edited by thunder427; 04-13-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling!!!!!!!!!

1990 car show Short Spyder and Paton on Alan Dicks stand.. man and women stop to look he mention he raced some yrs back .What is the name,yes I remember a Morgan was it not made this man very happy someone remembered ! perhaps my mem. is worn like the rest of me regards jim