Love that bit about a couple of mil in the bank! The guys I race against are very down to earth (includes pensioners and even AMCO72 now and again!) and I am not sure what the average age is these days, but I know it has always been over 50. What we are finding now is that as guys retire, most do not have a vast nest egg and whereas when they were working, a major mechanical could be fixed within a couple of weeks or less, now they may be out for months or even a season.

Oldfart is correct in that we have to look at broad issues and the whole shooting match has to be a balance. It doesn't matter whether it is a tier 1 meeting or a classic/historic meeting.

That balance has to cater for the interests of a) drivers b) promoters c) officials d) spectators.

Having worn all 4 hats at various times, I know only too well you will always upset someone or disappoint someone.

Having been stuck on a marshals post for a NZ GP a fair few years ago, I can remember vividly the abject boredom of about 9 starters and being stuck on a post in the middle of the back straight at Pukekohe. Small grids are a curse as the promoters lose out, the spectators lose out and the officials/flaggies lose out. I am not sure that the drivers are too keen about the small grids either, so for me, one of the biggest priorities is that most grids are a fair bit fuller than what we have seen in recent years. Thank goodness Muscle cars and the GT1 were televised.

I think Jim #147 is totally underestimating the negative vibes that these small grids create. Sorry, but I wouldn't cross the road to watch a race meeting where most grids are under 15 and would consider that paying to watch is a rip off. Dale is correct, there are many other places competing for our hard earned dollar (or pension), so a promoter who tries to encourage one specific class as it grows is acceptable, but a meeting where the majority of classes are small is for club meetings where costs can be trimmed by eliminating such expenses as a pro commentator and PA system, advertising etc and the entry fees have to cover all expenditure. Televising is expensive and like Dale, I would hope that our committee wouldn't waste the money on it again as they did try it few years ago and it proved to be a total waste of money - though one of the sponsors thought it worth a gamble.