Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bill Stone

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Yes and no, Geeb. By this time the RGR was usually entered as a Cooper, as it was by later owners
    As you say David, yes and no. In later times it has always been known as the RGR, at least since the early 90s. Now gone back to the UK and known as that. Ron informed us in the 80s that he was told by Coopers (before he brought the car back to NZ) that it was so different from any Cooper that he must not use the name.

Semi-Pro Racer
    It was called a Cooper for many years, until reverting to its proper name for historic racing

Ron raced it as the RGR in the UK for two or three seasons before taking it to NZ

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    No way of knowing if this is the event shown in your photo but Bill Stone shared fastest time of the day at the 14th November 1965 Chamberlain Road hillclimb driving number 24 in Class I (0 - 1500cc Racing Cars).

He shared a time of 38.0sec with R. Maddox, a name I don't remember.
    I went back to my other photos from the same hillclimb and found following Jim Boyd photo. Boyd set fastest time at the ACC Gold Star hillclimb on 3 October 1965 at Chamberlain Rd - 36.2 sec vs Bill Stone's 36.5 for second-fastest. I have 2 other Cooper photos from same day which could be Steve Boreham or Maddox (or somebody else..). I could put them up but wouldn't want to go too far off topic. Must be 3 October I think.

Stu

Boyd was at Renwick on Saturday 13 November '65(see quote), and while Bob Homewood or someone will tell us how they made it from the South I to Auckland overnight once, Boyd doesn't seem to have done so.

Class indicators ( I and H etc) were only used at Gold Star Climbs?? True/False??

Look at the size of the crowd at top of picture!

Stu ,put them in the hill climb thread ,I am not sure of the class indicator question ,maybe David can help ,got agree with the crowd ,it could pull a good crowd in those days and it even had a good PA coverage on the top corner area ,a couple of times I was there they had to open a extra paddock up for the spectator cars

Semi-Pro Racer
    Can't help with the class lettering question. It certainly wasn't used often

Sorry to read here about the passing of Bill (i have not been on the forum for a long time army race season has now started) he was great guy
    I met Bill around 11-12 years ago when he was working for Paul Stoddart European Aviation race team and Paul had recruited him from BAR ( Nee Tyrrell F1 team) after Paul ahd bought the 99 BAR cars and parts.

I have the ex Reynard Factory F3 F3000 car parts and had not long before read the Reynard story and had already read the March story when I went to see Bill about some of the European collection F1 cars they wanted to sell

Bill was telling me some his his side of the March story and then SABRE fabrications and his tie up with Adrian to form Reynard race cars and later leaving the company returning to NZ in the early 1980's and later coming back to the UK and Adrian hiring him again !

Bill then told me how he later went to work at Ray Mallock Racing and then onto Tyrrell F1 and then being incorporated to BAR F1 and back with Adrian again !!

Bill also raced Classic Saloon cars in the UK in a morris minor and i told him that i recall his name in the results and the story of how he lightened his Mogey shell by rubbing the paint off and he left the car outside to oxidise.
    1 week later he would come back and lightly rub it with wet n dry back to bare metal and leave it repeating the process many times for the next month or so!!

Before we embarked on the factory tour to inspect the F1 cars i pulled out my Reynard story book and said can you sign it.
    He looked at me as if to say are you serious??
    I said "you think I am taking the pish? I am being serious you are a founder member of Reynard racing cars and i want you to sign my book and you are technically and F1 driver!!"
    "NOW you are taking the pish !! " he laughed and signed my book and he told me nobody had ever asked him to do that before !!

A year later Bill finally officially retired and returned to NZ
    Bill was an unassuming but interesting guy to talk to and we will not see his type again

I wonder if this thread is the place to now post more photos and info or whether a separate thread is required??
    Yes I know Im behind you guys, i like warm beer and it rains a lot here too.

Semi-Pro Racer

An Article from 1968

Name:  Bill Stone 1.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  150.9 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    The latest Classic Driver has an excellent write up on Bill's career

We are not racing people but knew Bill and Susanne in the UK and were even on holiday in Maderia with them when Bill proposed to Susanne. We are very saddened to hear of his passing. As everyone said he was a great bloke and they were a lovely couple.

I have bought the ex works March 708/ 718 that Bill raced in the UK to restore- i agreed to buy it a year ago once i had found out about it.
    My plan is to rebuild it and come to NZ with it and do one of your festival weekends or 2

As you no doubt know, the car was referred to as the 'Starch' - the STone mARCH - I assume unofficially.

Please feel free to keep in contact about this - will this be for the 2014/15 Howden Ganley Festival? Our Old Fart FF group will be only too pleased to help.

yes the cunning plan is to get down for that
    of course need some $ to restore car in 6 months so its ready to ship in time
    i dont consider myself old but i can sure Fart and i have some FFords amongst other cars

Name:  chassis front.jpeg
Views: 812
Size:  102.7 KBMarch FFord as imported dismantled and now stripped sandblasted
    Last edited by driftwood; 08-25-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Update on the March of Bill Stone
    Chassis now sandblasted ready to carry out the repair work.
    I have made contact with Martin Lucas who has given me some good "intel" Bill passed to him on their days together racing and some photos from Mrs Stone.
    Once I get the chassis repaired I can plan the rebuild and start looking at the viability of coming to NZ HD with the car

Name:  sandblasted.JPG
Views: 661
Size:  148.6 KB