Thread: Bill Stone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Here is what I posted earlier today on TNF

He was there at the start of March, Reynard and BAR - he raced Coopers and a Brabham in NZ before heading off to seek his fortune in Europe in 1968.

A McLaren M4A in F3 form wasn't his best move (that came when he married Susanne Mallock) but the BT21 showed his promise behind the wheel.

Sadly Bill has gone - his struggle to beat the dreaded cancer ended this morning peacefully. He hung on a lot lot longer than the medics had predicted - he remained 'Mr Positive' throughout the ordeal - always firm of handshake and unwavering in his optimism.

Bill rebuilt a Mallock Mk6B and raced it hard it historic races here. In January 2011 he drove a Formula Ford at the Chris Amon Festival - he last raced a FF in 1970, a March 708 he'd modified so much it was nicknamed 'Starch'.

His great buddy Martin Lucas offered Bill his Lotus 69. I was unable to compete because my Crossle had a problem - but it was worth not being out there just to watch Bill. It rained..and rained and rained. Bill was a fair way down the grid but as the race went on and rain got harder, the magic came out. He was over 70 and fighting cancer yet he just picked off car after car. When it was over, Bill - with the #24 he'd raced with since the 60s, was second.

It was the drive of the meeting.

Godspeed my friend

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    His great buddy Martin Lucas offered Bill his Lotus 69.
    Amon Festival Jan 2011.
    Name:  2011_NZFMR_528b.JPG
Views: 1403
Size:  128.4 KB

Malcolm.