Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Kiwi big banger Sports Cars of late 1960s and early 70's

HI there, I have just joined this site. I was wanting some information on a XK120 Jag a friend and I have just purchased.
    The vehicle has been in storage some 50years, it was I believe bought to New Zealand by Jack Tutton who raced the vehicle and then sold it to Sybil Lupp and then she raced it as well.
    We are in the process of doing a full restoration on the Jag. The chassis no is 660112, I believe it has some good racing history. If anyone has any information of photos of this vehicle it would be much appreciated as we are wanting to restore to its original state. I have been told there is a book by David McKinney that has some information on it as well.

The book you need is Racing Jaguars in New Zealand by Brian Watson. He's been advertising copies on Trade Me.

Thank you for that I will try and get the book any help we can is great as we are trying to put the car back to the way it was back in the 1950s when it was raced Thanks again Paul .

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lindberg View Post
    HI there, I have just joined this site. I was wanting some information on a XK120 Jag a friend and I have just purchased.
    The vehicle has been in storage some 50years, it was I believe bought to New Zealand by Jack Tutton who raced the vehicle and then sold it to Sybil Lupp and then she raced it as well.
    We are in the process of doing a full restoration on the Jag. The chassis no is 660112, I believe it has some good racing history. If anyone has any information of photos of this vehicle it would be much appreciated as we are wanting to restore to its original state. I have been told there is a book by David McKinney that has some information on it as well.
    Paul,

Also check out through British Leyland Heritage in the UK, they will probably have its early History, who sold to, etc and when

http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co....hive-services/

The centre was originally BL Heritage, but as BL is defunct, try the above link

looking at how the link saved " heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/archive-services/ " after the www.
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 08-06-2015 at 06:51 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lindberg View Post
    Thank you for that I will try and get the book any help we can is great as we are trying to put the car back to the way it was back in the 1950s when it was raced Thanks again Paul .
    Hi Paul,

My advice would be to try to find the book in a library(assuming you live in NZ) . Without being too unkind to author Brian Watson, it is not a very complete story. He has relied on information supplied by former owners of the various Jaguars, and the only story relating to 660112 is from one Harvey Hingston of (?)Taranaki who bought the car from Arthur Moffat in 1956. Hingston was only about 20 and didn't do much competitive sport with it, maybe a hillclimb and a sprint or so, and seemed to be more interested in out-running the local cop. Eventually he swapped it for a 1956 Ford Customline V8, but doesn't say who the new owner was or when.

I borrowed the book from the Auckland City library system a few years ago) and scanned the pages of interest to me (including the above info).

Good Luck With your search for Info,

Stu Buchanan

There is quite a bit on this car (including several photos) in the book "The Jaguar XK120 in the Southern Hemisphere". It has a good racing history and most of this is detailed in the book. The first recorded race is with the first owner (Jack Tutton) in February 1951 and he raced it nine time before he sold it in February 1953 to Sybil Lupp who raced it on a number of occasions. By late 1954 it was with John Horton who did a hill climb before passing it onto Arthur Moffat and then to Harvey Hingston in late 1956/early 1957 - sold by Hingston in 1959 (a swap with a 1956 Ford Customline V8).

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    I think that was the sorely-missed Fountain, David McK responding to an enquiry of mine about the Climax-engined Rorstan sports car that was slowly knocked up behind the showroom at Stanton Motors but I never saw running. I think Danie Lupp had it for a while. Looked to have some potential : last time I glimpsed it the nicely-fashioned body was still awaiting paint.
    Interesting bit in the attached re the origins of the Rorstan Climax sports racer.
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/14261/lot/221/
    Last edited by Terry S; 08-12-2015 at 07:16 AM. Reason: include attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
    Interesting bit in the attached re the origins of the Rorstan Climax sports racer.
    https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/14261/lot/221/
    Interesting to read the auction houses description of how the Cooper was "reborn".

An original Cooper Climax T53 was bought by Rorstan and cannibalised for Rorstan sports racer.
    The bits that were not needed then sold and assembled onto "a new Cooper-type T53P chassis" plus a whole series of new parts.
    When project complete it has "an up to date FIA Historic Technical Passport".

I don't know about NZ, but I seriously doubt it would be allowed in OZ under our COD process.

Yeah, that's not good compared to some of the shabby reasons they have knocked things back over the years.
    Partly explains some of the reasons disgruntled ex-racers have walked away.

Many thanks, I will have a look at that link. Kind Regards

Thanks very much for that information, appreciated your help. Kind Regards