Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiwi big banger Sports Cars of late 1960s and early 70's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Red face Kiwi big banger Sports Cars of late 1960s and early 70's

I have recently finished writing a biography story on West Auckland racing driver Garry Pedersen, of which the first part has currently been published in NZ Classic Car magazine. This brought back many memories of a fearsome array of machinery that appeared through out these years. Sport cars were pretty wild and came in all shapes and sizes. What became of some of these machines is my question. Some have survived like the Russell Greer Stanton Corvette, the ex Tyrell Turtle Continental Special and the ex Jim Boyd, Ralph Smith Lola T70 that was originally owned and raced? by Umberto Maglioli (Italy 1966) has gone back overseas. The Garry Pedersen GEMCO Olds which was based on the Tony Shelly ex Reg Parnell Lotus 18/21 was restored by Gray Mathias, the remains of the GEMCO were last seen at the Bruce McLaren Festival Jan 2010 and apparently were sold to the USA. What has happened to the Grahame Harvey Elfin 400 Chev, the Geoff Mardon/Digby Taylor McBegg Chev and the Jamie Aislabie Sid Mk1, which was originally the Heron Daimler V8 that Norris Miles drove at one stage. Also there are other cars like Danie Lupps Rorstan Climax, Glen McIntyres Wilmac Fiat, does anybody know.

Sid MK1 and the Heron Daimler that Norris drove were two different cars,I have some photos of the latter.The Wilmac I owned briefly in the late 70's when I traded it on Rhubarb 3 which I was selling ,the Fiat motor went into Rhubarb 3 ,some parts ,shocks etc went to a friend who was / is restoring a Brabham,the chassis and body were onsold ,I believe unfortunately it has probably been dumped

Semi-Pro Racer
    I believe the Rorstan-Climax is alive and well and living in Dunedin.
    The McBegg was taken to the tip after an accident at Ruapuna, but I believe has since been "re-created" - someone might know more about this than I do.
    The Elfin 400 was still in the Auckland area in the 1980s, but I haven't heard of it since

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    I believe the Rorstan-Climax is alive and well and living in Dunedin.
    The McBegg was taken to the tip after an accident at Ruapuna, but I believe has since been "re-created" - someone might know more about this than I do.
    The Elfin 400 was still in the Auckland area in the 1980s, but I haven't heard of it since
    Does anyone know which "Rorstan Climax" Davis was referring to? I wasn't aware any survived.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Gerard, but where is this car now? Assuming this is the Scuderia Veloce 250LM that Andy Buchanan raced in NZ during the 1966/67 season, winning the NZ Sports Car Championship? Am quite certain its pictured here in Australia.

Name:  ferrari250lm.jpg
Views: 6905
Size:  121.2 KB

Photo by Mike Feisst

Semi-Pro Racer
    It went back to Oz. Last I heard of it the car was in the US, but that's probably 15 years ago

Harking back to two other unaccounted sports cars from the 1970-73 era. There was a rear engined 3.5 V8 Oldsmobile sports car, I think driven by Lyn Johnson if I remember and might have been based in Christchurch. This might have had Begg origins and could have been built from some of the remains of the first Begg sports car that Brent Hawes was killed in at Ruapuna in 1969. I think it was initially converted into the Begg spaceframe F5000 car that Leo Leonard drove briefly before being converted into the sports car. Am I correct in this and what might have become of this car? Another car that also comes to mind was the very pretty red Heron Twin Cam driven by Gary Deakon? Thanks Dave McKinney for your update on the Heron Daimler of Norris Miles, the McBegg and the update at least to the 1980s of the ex Grahame Harvey Elfin 400

Semi-Pro Racer
    Leo's F5000 Begg contained some parts from the crashed sportscar, but the rest of it was rebuilt as a sportscar raced by Rod McElrea as the Elmac, though later owners reverted to the Begg name. Last I heard (2007) it was with Neville Brumby in Gore

The Heron 1500 was built by Ross Baker in Rotorua: he located the remains in Taupo in 1989 and bought them, though whether the car has been rebuilt I don't know

Andy Buchanan lives not far form me and is very good friends with my neighbour. He still drives Ferrari's.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Sorry to hi-jack your thread Gerard, but where is this car now? Assuming this is the Scuderia Veloce 250LM that Andy Buchanan raced in NZ during the 1966/67 season, winning the NZ Sports Car Championship? Am quite certain its pictured here in Australia.

Name:  ferrari250lm.jpg
Views: 6905
Size:  121.2 KB

Photo by Mike Feisst

No doubt that's the car, Steve. Not only is it carrying a set of Scuderia Veloce decals, but I reckon that's Andy Buchanan himself standing behind the green Datsun.

More info on the above 250 LM here, thanks to Mike Feisst and Allan Dick:

"The Scuderia Veloce car – chassis #6321 – as far as I know, is part of the Ralph Lauren Collection.

According to Road & Track magazine:

The 250 LM in the Ralph Lauren collection had an extensive and successful racing career in Australia. Chassis 6321, it had a dozen wins in the highly competitive racing Down Under. Among those wins was one in the Surfers’ Paradise 12 hours in 1966, co-driven by a young driver just beginning a brilliant career: Jackie Stewart.”

The car is also listed on the Ferrari 250LM Register
    (www.ferrarilife.com/register) – although their entry doesn’t mention Ralph Lauren.

Here’s a photo of the car in the Lauren collection". Allan Dick

Name:  !cid_3387216147_37711445.jpg
Views: 4946
Size:  50.2 KB

Heron Daimler 1967 when I worked on it when Norris Miles drove it

Sorry this such a old faded photo,it is from 1967 when I worked on the Heron when Norris Miles raced it I never drove the car in a race but I did get to drive it at Pukekohe at the time I thought it was ok ,but from what I know now from my own later cars it was over tired and under powered ,it really needed a alloy Olds and a decent gearbox in it ,that Citroen box was a shocker,no good on downchanges.You will notice in this photo it has not got those added on alloy bits to cover the wheels,that are in the other photo on here

Name:  Top.jpg
Views: 4297
Size:  112.5 KB

Another photo of the Heron.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    Another photo of the Heron.
    Roger thanks ,yes no bits of tin over the wheels in that photo,thats how I remember it the first time I ever saw it down in Rotorua and how it was when we got it

The Lola T70 when Jim Boyd had it and a couple of earlier evocative sports car photos.

Here is a photo of the Graham Harvey Elfin taken at Pukekohe.

Semi-Pro Racer

Ross Baker

If you do a "Google" search 'Ross Baker+Heron' you will find a website dedicated to "Heron" cars. On the home page there is a 'Links and contacts' in the index. If you look there you can email Ross. He may be able to help re whereaouts of some of the cars.

Here is a period shot of the GEMCO being unloaded off its trailer at Pukekohe

Here another photo of the GEMCO sports car