Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roycroft Trophy this weekend

Roycroft Trophy this weekend

The VCC Waitemata Branch event of the year is at Hampton Downs this weekend.
    There will be a huge variety, a few highlights, the "Rubber Duck" Austin 7 with a history many miles long, Brooklands, Muriwai, Roycroft family etc is in the country having been brought over from Oz for the event, the McNair Riley/Moth hybrid, the famous Darracq.
    Others include many Austin 7s, Bucklers, MGs by the swarm, Formula Juniors, Northland Special, etc etc. There are in excess of 70 cars entered and classic motorbikes on top of that.
    Also Jazz bands, classic and vintage car displays, some trade stands.
    Motor sport at its' finest, and FUN.
    Blatant advertising, not really. Both Saturday and Sunday

This is going to be an amazing event, and definitely one of the highlights of the NZ historic racing season.

World Champion
    Fellas, this is an event not to be missed. Went last year, and vowed I would come this year with a car. That hasn't happened, but will be going to watch all the slipping, sliding, and drifting that is missing from racing today. The whole atmosphere of the meeting is quite different to what is normal for today. For one thing, the cars SOUND completely different. The weather is going to be good, both days, according to the forecast. So grab your camera and go. Last year I went both days, but I have to say, that a few of the poor old girls expired on the saturday, so weren't running on sunday, which had a bonus in that you could talk shop with the owners/mechanics while they were fixing. And when did you last hear an AJS 7R, or a Velocette, or a Triumph 750, being ridden hard? Ah, the good old days!!!!!!!

I'll wander along saturday for a look Gerald, see how organised these VCC boys are!!! the forcast is looking great so to avoid the queue's i guess i better get along early, LOL

See you all Sat

Dale Mathers

World Champion
    Dale, with the RELATIVELY small entry compared to the festival, the organisation is of course a bit easier, and the whole meeting is much more relaxed.....not so many 'pumped-up' drivers.[and no bloody E30 BMW's] The only thing that gets me at 'our' meeting is the piss-poor pit advice from the sound system. To make matters worse, I am 1/2 deaf, so have to rely on a runner to keep me up to speed. Will be very interesting to see if there IS a queue to get in. No trouble last year, but the word has got around.

Semi-Pro Racer

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

I attended the Roycroft meeting last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. What appealed was the big variety of cars of all ages. Seeing the Ralph Watson rotary aircraft engine running was another "stand out" memory. I vowed to compete this year. So why have the organisers this year limited entries to cars built before 1960?
    Apart from the 'Rubber Duck' Austin (which I haven' seen racing since the Ardmore Reunion) there seems to be pretty much the same entry as last year except smaller numbers and less variety (no post 1960 cars).
    Personally I can't see any good reason to make a 5 hour trip to see less of the same this year.

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    So why have the organisers this year limited entries to cars built before 1960?
    I think it may be something to do with keeping the event away from the MSNZ red tape. The VCC cuts off at 1960 (cars built before 31 December 1960 or later cars that are the same model of a car first built before 31 December 1960) - post 1960 falls in MSNZ's camp.The Roycroft meeting is run under the VCC. From the entries so far it looks as though it will be the largest grid of front engined Formula Juniors seen here.

[QUOTE=AMCO72;12292]Fellas, this is an event not to be missed. Went last year, and vowed I would come this year with a car. That hasn't happened, but will be going to watch all the slipping, sliding, and drifting that is missing from racing today

Gerald ,Got agree with that ,yes I will to be there on Saturday at least ,like yourself I would love to be there with a car ,I got to admit I have been looking ,but I want something different ,it will come along,just letting you know my interest is still there ,see you around the traps on the week end

Actually rf there are more cars, not fewer, the variety MAY have reduced , but in my personal opinion a field of historic Formula Fords look pretty much the same.
    Not really the organisers as such that have set the date, it's the circuit who are the promoters and it was their wish for the VCC date.
    The missing grids are historic sports and historic FF.
    There are many cars you would not have previously seen, and a few from last year which won't be there. As per my first paragraph, numerically more. Please be positive.

Semi-Pro Racer

Roycroft meeting

Sorry if I sounded negative about the meeting. It certainly wasn't intended to be. I was merely trying to make the point that for someone like myself to spend $500 or more (travel and accommodation) and 10 hours driving, a meeting has to hold the prospect of being quite outstanding. Sorry to say, the thought of a lot of pre-60 cars just didn't hold a lot of excitement.
    Maybe I am symptomatic of what is wrong with NZ motorsport (and perhaps, modern society in general). Unless something is perceived to be bigger, better, more exciting it does not excite us.
    I attended this meeting last year as an official. I stayed in an apartment at the track with a number of officials and organisers from the Waitemata Branch of the VCC. We had a number of good social events, the highlight being the Saturday night at Ron's old "local", the Rangiriri Tavern.
    It was a very memorable weekend and I count myself very fortunate to have been part of it.
    I guess it was too good. For me, that "buzz" could probably never be repeated. So I want something more "whizz bang" next time.
    And that is exactly the problem faced by anyone organising anything in this day and age.

World Champion
    OK, here it is, hot off the press. Have just arrived back home after spending the day at HD taking in the sites and sounds of the Roycroft trophy meeting. As the name suggests there were a few of Rons old warhorses there; Terry in his Fathers Bugatti, and the Marlborough/Thomas special, which doesn't seem to have 'progressed' since last year; however the one that took my eye was the RJR, and this is the car I would have taken home if I was able. It is slowly being rebuilt, all the chassis done, and the Jaguar engine, that used to power the Bugatti when Ron raced it, is sitting in place looking very 'original' That is one mean looking machine, but I suspect the chassis may not be up to Jaguars HP. In the late sixties on one of my visits to Rons collection, when I was looking at an SS1 that he had, I could have bought the RJR for some ridiculous figure like $400, but to my eye then it was just a heap of junk. The guy that owns it now seems to be making a nice job, and will keep the Jaguar engine in rather than the original. Knowing Ron it probably had a Chev 6 in it at some stage. Moving on...... all the cars were parked on the skid-pan which made for easy walking, and fixing, should that have been necessary, and with over 70 entries was a marvelous sight. Some machines I had not seen last year, and although there were one or two breakdowns, these seem to get repaired and were running again later. As I mentioned in a previous post it is the SOUND of these old motors that really is the essence of this meeting, and listening to a straight 8 Alfa Romeo coming up the front straight was incredible. Keeping it company was an aero-engined Riley, Tiger-Moth I believe, which didnt sound as good as the Alfa, but certainly gave it a run for its money. Lap times were not spectacular, but that didn't matter, the two little Bucklers showing the way in that department. Met up with some old mates, Jim was there of course, and I had some good chats to Dale covering most of what we have been talking about on the RS. A big parade of cars took to the track at the lunch break, and as I had taken my old MG 1300 up I got a spot in the parade, and also did my good deed for the day taking Trevor, an old 90 year old, for a 3 lap 'burn'!!!!! I thought he might have been a famous racing driver, but no, and his 'helpers' were very appreciative of the gesture......my pleasure Trevor. The 'crowd' today was fairly small, the weather was fine sunny and warm, and a great day was had by all who attended. So there you go, if you are wondering whether to go tomorrow, GO.

Semi-Pro Racer

Thanks for that.

Thanks for that.
    I'm glad to hear it went well.It is a good meeting and deserves to succeed and grow.

Yep, I'm planning to be there tomorrow - really looking forward to it.

Yes, i agree with Gerald, GO GO GO not to be missed!! tomorrow's(Sunday) looking to be great, although it couldn't have got much better today. This VCC thing isn't me BUT!! i had to go along for a look and i "really" enjoyed myself, i don't know all the makes and models as Gerald does that he mentions above(generation gap) but i can sure appreciate the history with all this and certainly lots of great NZ history amongst all those VCC cars, and boy that straight 8 Alfa sure sounded great and could smoke the wheels of turn 5, yeehar!! most of all i enjoyed catching up with a few blokes as it was all quite leisurely, Neil Tolich, Mike Sexton, Terry Rush, Gerald, Tony, Chris, Jim and a bunch of others, the inside vendor stalls where great to wonder thought and chat, even made a purchase and the 20's/30's style band playing outside just topped it all off, just fantastic!! and to finish the day of Tony took me a few hot laps in his non VCC legal Allard(wasn't allowed to enter as it has post 1960 parts fitted, rules are the rules, LOL). What a day!!

Dale Mathers

Semi-Pro Racer

RJR Special

Several cars carried this name at various times

I think I know which one you mean, but would love to see a photo if someone has one

Semi-Pro Racer
    Gerald and Dale, Thanks for your positive comments about The Roycroft Trophy meeting. As a Waitemata VCC committee member we are quite proud of what a small club has achieved.I had the embarrasment of having my early Buckler "The Blue Brick" being towed in twice behind the classic Ford V8 tow truck. In both races the rotor arm had shorted out. Having destroyed two rotors I managed to finish the next two races with the rotor and cap out of Old Farts Ford ten special while he went to Rangiriri to have a cracked sump welded. Sorry I didnt get to meet you guys but I did get a chance to have a chat with Jim Short.
    Graeme Banks

roycroft

Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    Gerald and Dale, Thanks for your positive comments about The Roycroft Trophy meeting. As a Waitemata VCC committee member we are quite proud of what a small club has achieved.I had the embarrasment of having my early Buckler "The Blue Brick" being towed in twice behind the classic Ford V8 tow truck. In both races the rotor arm had shorted out. Having destroyed two rotors I managed to finish the next two races with the rotor and cap out of Old Farts Ford ten special while he went to Rangiriri to have a cracked sump welded. Sorry I didnt get to meet you guys but I did get a chance to have a chat with Jim Short.
    Graeme Banks
    Hey what gives everone been nice , I may have to change my attitude, one and a half days at HD .its years since I have seen so many real cars .hell I even invited myself into a 1934 Austin 7two seater open car for about ten laps ?? an English gent has owned it 49yrs the last 9 in NZ,over 50yrs, since I was in one of these, man they are real strong little cars .Then Daves prodigey Peter arrived in his ex Auto Restoration Alfa Monza the sound and sight of this car simila to Giddings one .and when you have know idea that we have one in NZ what a wonderfull moment and did he drive well ? on the limit I would think and chased by an absulute work of art the areo powerd Riley ,I was about to coment to a stranger beside me look at the oil its burning when my brain woke up thats wheelspin halfway along the straight!!1.Really words dont describe these two cars.When did you last see a Bugatti parked out side beside a Hispanza?? not to mention the jazz band plus all the old Grannies in period dress! plus a bonus for me Graeme finding a way for my Spyder to take part next yr. with the C Type Jags .what more can a man say??

Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    Graeme Banks
    Yes Thanks Graeme I had a great couple of days ,caught up with a lot of folks I have not seen for a while and kept myself busy,so sorry I didn't catch up with you which was a pity because I might have been able to help with the rotor ,I actually took some down with me that don't burn out,and I guess by next year I will have to find something to race so I am on the other side of the fence

World Champion
    Jim,this guy must have been on the rum too. They wouldn't even let big bad Tony, the OWNER of the track for Gods sake, compete because the Allard had a 1964 split-pin in it somewhere!!!! And it really looked the part. Hey, after yesterdays blast in the past, today I went to display of serious Horse-Power. Forget your smoking tyres and smell of Avgas, this was farting horses and dust. Yes, the NZ ploughing championships held just outside Cambridge. I have never seen such a line up of vintage machinery, lots of demonstrations, and lots of broken-down old farmers remembering when they last drove an old Farmall M. A bit like lots of old broken-down car enthusiasts remembering when they last drove an Austin 7!!!!! The demonstration of 2, 4, and 6 horse teams pulling ploughs was spell-binding. Man those old 'cockies' must have been fit. The serious side was the NZ Championship with competitors from all over NZ.......AND a good crowd of all ages to appreciate all the hard work. As I was wandering around I was thinking about the Roycroft meeting and the type of person it attracted. Didnt see many kids there, our future race-car drivers, and I thought about Dales comment that this VCC stuff didn't really 'do it' for him, and yet he thoroughly enjoyed himself. Well everytime I saw him he had a grin on his face. The blast round the track in the Allard must have been the icing on the cake. Don't hold your breath, I think we may see Dale in a hotted up Rolls-Canardly competing next year!!!!!!! Now to David McKinney's question about the RJR. David, I was only aware of one, but I'm sure you are right in saying that were several over the years. This started life as someone elses special, can't remember who, Jim may remember. Had a Chev 6 in it at some stage, now the Jaguar engine from the Bugatti. Quite a tiny car, which the Jaguar engine seems to overwhelm; Knock-off Jaguar wire wheels, a round, blue painted tank on the back, and the front resembles a wide Bugatti type radiator surround, a bit like the BSA special, and to top it off a very greasy, aluminium padded, original looking bucket seat. Sorry I haven't got a photo, but someone may have. I know that Jim wants this car too, but I'm sorry Jim, you are just going to have to stand in line....behind me. I might be generous, and be like Dave and give you a drive!!!!
    By the way.....a Rolls-Canardly........Rolls down one side of the hill, and can 'ardly get up the other!!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Several cars carried this name at various times

I think I know which one you mean, but would love to see a photo if someone has one
    I couldn't make it to this year's event but here's a couple of photos from last year.
    Name:  2011_Roycroft_501b.JPG
Views: 1221
Size:  187.0 KB
    Name:  2011_Roycroft_502b.JPG
Views: 1079
Size:  192.0 KB

Malcolm.