Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Roycroft Trophy this weekend

Journeyman Racer
    Was funny to go to the Classic Racing at Hampton Downs today with the '32 and get directed to the "modern vehicle" parking. So went and parked where we were directed and noticed a few other hot rods in the "modern vehicle" parking. Those damn hot rodders haha! Some neat old cars and bikes racing though!

World Champion
    There you go David....the RJR...last year. All the suspension on now, jag engine in a trial fit, and sitting on it's wheels.

World Champion
    By the way, it has got a very strange rear-axle/suspension. Had to study it for some minutes to decide how it worked. Every bar seemed to be working against every other bar, with half-shafts from the fixed diff. Never seen it before. Bodywork to come but under -tray in place.

Gerald, I did genuinely enjoy my day at VCC yesterday and your knowledge of some of the vehicles i found most interesting, offcourse as a teenager in the early/mid 70's my memory is of the big banger saloons at Baypark, hence my fondness these days of "Saloons" particularly American Muscle so its more about that generation gap and our own personal memory's of good times, and when i say "its not me" i can say that about most other forms of Motorsport too, mostly the "Modern" forms, one visit to the V8 Supercars at Hamilton was enough for me and wont be going this weekend either, whereas i will make a point of going to VCC again next year, relaxing and enjoyable, i guess for each individual its where one finds the "most" enjoyment, and i enjoyed it.

As for entering VCC, Hmmm lets see, Hotted up Rolls-Canardly? nar wheres that rule book, Hmmm how can i manipulate the rules to give me that unfair advantage? I KNOW!! i'll join VCC and change its direction so i can race what i want, yeah thats the one, look out!! LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL.

Dale Mathers

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Gerald, I did genuinely enjoy my day at VCC yesterday and your knowledge of some of the vehicles i found most interesting, offcourse as a teenager in the early/mid 70's my memory is of the big banger saloons at Baypark, hence my fondness these days of "Saloons" particularly American Muscle so its more about that generation gap and our own personal memory's of good times, and when i say "its not me" i can say that about most other forms of Motorsport too, mostly the "Modern" forms, one visit to the V8 Supercars at Hamilton was enough for me and wont be going this weekend either, whereas i will make a point of going to VCC again next year, relaxing and enjoyable, i guess for each individual its where one finds the "most" enjoyment, and i enjoyed it.

As for entering VCC, Hmmm lets see, Hotted up Rolls-Canardly? nar wheres that rule book, Hmmm how can i manipulate the rules to give me that unfair advantage? I KNOW!! i'll join VCC and change its direction so i can race what i want, yeah thats the one, look out!! LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL.

Dale Mathers
    I find myself going to the NZ Festival of Motor racing, the Leadfoot Festival and now the Roycroft Trophy this weekend and really want to build an early style hot rod for classic motor racing. Sure we have the Morrari project but a neat little Model T or Model A roadster also appeals. Then I watch the Muscle Cars run and want one of those too.
    As for the modern stuff, Supercars are like watching taxis race. I heard they dont want Muscle cars, F5000s etc as supporting races as they dont want to shift the focus of the spectator!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Thanks for the RJR explanation (and photos) chaps

This'll be the car that started life in 1954 as the SH Special, with one of Hec Green's RA engines. Roycroft ran it briefly with a Chev 6 in the later '50s before swapping it for the Jag engine. Last rear-suspension mod I heard of was the fitting of a transverse-leaf set-up

I'm not sure if any of Roycroft's speedway midgets were called RJR Specials, but the one he converted for hillclimbing around 1948 (Ford B4) was, and of course the Bugatti-Jaguar was frequently entered as the RJR Special. I have a feeling that at least one of his later creations, long after he'd retired from front-line racing, was also called an RJR

What a disapointment that none of the names here, who have posted that they went along came and introduced themselves to some of us taking part.
    I would have loved to have met you guys, and in all honesty the prospect of that was the major inspiration to continue to get the car down there when the proverbial was hitting the fan in the middle of last week.
    Much discussion was had on the vintage saloon concept. Keep your eyes open

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    By the way, it has got a very strange rear-axle/suspension. Had to study it for some minutes to decide how it worked. Every bar seemed to be working against every other bar, with half-shafts from the fixed diff. Never seen it before. Bodywork to come but under -tray in place.
    If you think the suspension is strange now, you should have seen how it was before Peter Benbrook started to do the minor changes to improve it, but keeping "true to the spirit'. It used to TOTALLY bind under very little travel.
    How about the RA that was on display? A superb resto of the Hec Green car being undertaken by Richard Anderson.

I am sorry but its rather hard to meet someone who you dont know there name!!

World Champion
    Oldfart, no excuses I'm afraid. I didn't have a programme, so wasn't sure who belonged to who, and whenever I strolled past the Ford 10 camp, everyone seemed to be engrossed in something in the engine bay. Being of a very shy and retiring nature, I was unwilling to butt-in and disturb the train of thought. And I still do not know which car was yours! When I took old 90 year-old Trevor for a few 'hot-laps' during the lunch break in the MG 1300, I was just wishing that it was an eligible vehicle for the VCC race; sort of like a super-sized Mini. As for Greg in the 32 being directed to the 'Modern' car parking, what a hoot. The two guys that were stopping 'moderns' from parking in the display area on saturday, were of an age that should have known better. I managed to sneak up by leaving the seal and crossing the stones. I did see them gesticulating wildly but I kept going, and wasn't challenged. Being the Hot Rod guru that you are I can imagine you constructing a neat Model T racer, with about as much bodywork as a chassis racer. As you know there are a lot of 'performance' options for a T, and with wire-wheels would really look the part, and wouldn't be the slowest off the blocks. First find your T. And talking of performance, couldn't the 'Rubber Duck' go. At one stage I saw him get past the V12 Lagonda..... cheeky devil!

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    I am sorry but its rather hard to meet someone who you dont know there name!!
    Fair enough, but I did say I had a Ford 10 special with a hideously ugly roll bar, and there was only 1 that fit that description! Of course Gerald the Ford 10 brigade had their heads under the bonnets! FORD = Fix (or other words) On Race Day. Mine developed a tiny hairline crack in the sump so I got flagged and did not manage to get an effective repair done. Very frustrating to see the other cars out there, most with oil drips under them in the "pits".

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    What a disapointment that none of the names here, who have posted that they went along came and introduced themselves to some of us taking part.
    I would have loved to have met you guys, and in all honesty the prospect of that was the major inspiration to continue to get the car down there when the proverbial was hitting the fan in the middle of last week.
    Much discussion was had on the vintage saloon concept. Keep your eyes open
    I went to the Buckler camp to enquire after you but was told that your Ford had a problem and was back on the trailer so didn't really know where to go from there. Feeble excuse I know, but I did try.
    Next year

World Champion
    Oldfart, I could have walked along the lines of cars asking people....'are you an old fart'. I would probably have got my arse kicked. Now don't tell me you are the owner of an incredibly ugly pale blue Ford 10 that was for sale? My friend 'beowulf' got all interested in it, but I said to him that if he bought it, it would be the end of a beautiful friendship!!!!! Getting back to the 'RubberDuck'......could someone tell me how Mr G.C.Smith got INTO that incredibly tight cockpit. He was a BIG man, and the ballectic contorsions necessary to get in would have been something to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Oldfart, I could have walked along the lines of cars asking people....'are you an old fart'. I would probably have got my arse kicked.
    haha - the thought occured to me as well

I'm supposed to be painting the lounge but 'er indoors is looking the other way so here's a quick taste

Yes, that's the one!
    Beowulf could do wonderful things with it, have I got a deal for you!

Yes not my dream car but would like to know all about it

Maybe "the roaring season" t-shirts may have helped with introductions.

World Champion
    They would undoubtably have helped IF we had bought one. But a bloody old skin-flint like me, didn't. But is an excellent idea. Could have stuck my VCC badge on as well, but you have to get up close and personal to read it, but at least you would spot it as a VCC member and go from there. But good thinking woody!

May be if we had stood close enough we could have guessed?/ and by the way all these coments about that old lady driving the 1906car she is not that old 60 actually and she had it sideways at least once,I dont mean coments on here but some said 80yrs. at the hillclimb she was 70 some other meet a very brave lady and talentet?!

Can we have some more pics please?