Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roycroft Trophy this weekend

World Champion
    Yes Oldfart, as Jim says, not the car I would have chosen to take home, but would like to know a bit about it, and as you didn't get much track time maybe you could tell us a little bit about it. Outstanding features were of course the cut down Ford Pop front, the faded French blue paint-job, and the rustiest motor in the pits. To convince a potential buyer you are going to have to do some sharp talking. And talking of ugly roll-bars, yours was one of the very few on the day. Safety thread please note.

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    As for Greg in the 32 being directed to the 'Modern' car parking, what a hoot. The two guys that were stopping 'moderns' from parking in the display area on saturday, were of an age that should have known better. I managed to sneak up by leaving the seal and crossing the stones. I did see them gesticulating wildly but I kept going, and wasn't challenged. Being the Hot Rod guru that you are I can imagine you constructing a neat Model T racer, with about as much bodywork as a chassis racer. As you know there are a lot of 'performance' options for a T, and with wire-wheels would really look the part, and wouldn't be the slowest off the blocks. First find your T. And talking of performance, couldn't the 'Rubber Duck' go. At one stage I saw him get past the V12 Lagonda..... cheeky devil!
    Have you seen the Duffy Livingstone Elminator which was a steel bodied 23-25 T bucket roadster that went road racing in the same era of the El Caballo in the fifties. http://www.streetrodderweb.com/miles.../photo_10.html

I can picture something like this but with a hot rodded Model A engine in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Yes not my dream car but would like to know all about it
    OK, here we go..
    It was actually assembled in Canterbury over the last few years, and I bought it so I would have a car for last years' event because the special I was building at the time would not have been ready. It was built as a multi purpose car, Balcairn Trial, mudplugs, speed events etc. Could readily be road registered, lights etc supplied as would mudguards. Then a few days before the event I discovered no rear brakes. This year it was given no preparation until I realised I had run out of time to complete my Buckler, so I pulled it out of the wood shed (seriously) and hence the valid comment relating to SURFACE rust around the plug cavities.
    All repaired now of course.
    It is a short wheelbase 1938 chassis, E93A front and rear axles, all totally refurbished, bearings, brake linings, shocks, steering box etc. Gearbox rebuilt by Rick larcombe is E93A with bearings, seals, etc etc. Engine is a refurbished 100E, dead stock, so heaps of potential.
    The diff is currently E93A, but there is a new 100e crownwheel and pinion to go with it and raise the ratio for a bit more top end.
    2 sets of wheels, 16 and 15" with near new 165/15s.
    Reason for retirement was a tiny hairline crack in a weld on the steel sump. This did not show at Taupo December meeting! We failed to repair it in situ on Saturday night. It has a new wiring harness with all the lights, horn etc wiring in place.
    Buyers queue up please! Laptimes are around the same as the 3rd or 4th fastest Austin 7s even with the totally standard intake and exhaust. Another manifold with twin SUs and extractor go with the car, I suspect they would be worth a few seconds, as would the diff change.

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    Maybe "the roaring season" t-shirts may have helped with introductions.
    Shame the site crashed when these were on the list for Xmas presents!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Well guys I did wear my Roaring Season Tee Shirt between races and although I got great comments from Jan Mclaren and Tony Roberts didnt get to meet any of you other than Gentleman Jim Short.Even got a comment from one of my mates wife to say the Mclarens round the midrif seemed more stretched than the one round the chest. My highlight of the weekend was winning the pre 1960 handicap race although it had to be stopped 1 lap short due to an oil spill. The Elva head 100E Ford motor in my early Buckler was behaving well on sunday after we got saturdays rotor arm problems sorted.
    Graeme Banks

Got some photos, will post soon.
    It was neat to walk around and look at the history on display. And even better to watch them HOUND around the track. Love some of the angles the drivers get at, more like yacthing, stacking out.
    I was the one who said pointing at the oil under one of the little cars "it is Engish". Thought i better keep moving.

Hell Rod you should know about Fords at least!
    Question for those with knowledge of pushrod Fords.
    Can a 1340 crank be fitted into a 105e (997) block

Semi-Pro Racer
    Just to follow up on Oldfarts question to solve a 1960 dating issue is there any difference between a block stamped 105e and one with 109e cast in it as although 109e was the code for 1340cc I believe there were 105e 997cc anglias fitted with the 109e block. This may sound off topic but it could determine wether a certain car runs at next years Roycroft event.

I actually have a genuine Ford Parts books with dates in it ,so when I get a minute I will find it and look it up ,my memory is the 109E designation came along later about the same time as the 105e engine changed from the hollow crank ,but I can stand to be corrected ,I think also the cam part number changed at the same time although the profile is the same

Semi-Pro Racer
    According to "Wikipedia" the 109E motor first appeared in the 1961 Consul 315. If this is the case it would not be eligible for the Roycroft event as it is post 1960.
    I seem to remember the 109E motor had the same hollow crank as the earlier 997 105E motor. I could be wrong here.These were not amenable to high states of tune. The 1340cc 109E motor was one of the few Ford motors that were rarely modified so they must have some inherent problems.

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    According to "Wikipedia" the 109E motor first appeared in the 1961 Consul 315. If this is the case it would not be eligible for the Roycroft event as it is post 1960.
    I seem to remember the 109E motor had the same hollow crank as the earlier 997 105E motor. I could be wrong here.These were not amenable to high states of tune. The 1340cc 109E motor was one of the few Ford motors that were rarely modified so they must have some inherent problems.
    That sounds like how I think it is ,but I can check ,1340 crank was weak and also the rod angle was I believe wrong ,they didn't like being revved they went bang I know ! but having said that I had a 1475 with steel crank and rods and never had a problem with it ,way back it was quicker than the bigger 5 bearing block I used the same head and cam with around Pukekohe

pretty sure my first Mk1 Cortina (1962 1200 deluxe) had 109e cast into the block. Of course this was also a 3 bearing crank.

The 123E/1198cc engine is better than the 1340 for tuning, was fitted to the Anglia Super and was often bored out to 1298cc in the Allcomer days. The stroke is the same as the 997 so has better rod angles than the 1340 as Bob mentioned and not as much crank whip. The north American Anglia only came with the 1198, guess Ford thought the smaller engine would turn inside out on the freeways... My car is an 1198/106E, the designation for the LHD model and had been sitting in a barn (yep) for 40 years, then 6 months outside.
    Cheers, Grant Ellwood

I would hesitate to use Wiki as an authority on pretty much anything. Good guidelines but for "testy" stuff I think it perhaps a little unsubstantiated. "My" old Buckler, the one which Mark Garmey now has, and it's beautiful, had a 1340 block with the steel crank, and purported to have Cosworth 85mm pistons and went very well.
    We still don't know, can this carank go in a 105e block, are there other differences with the 109E, bore spacings, or bearings sizes, or??

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    I would hesitate to use Wiki as an authority on pretty much anything. Good guidelines but for "testy" stuff I think it perhaps a little unsubstantiated. "My" old Buckler, the one which Mark Garmey now has, and it's beautiful, had a 1340 block with the steel crank, and purported to have Cosworth 85mm pistons and went very well.
    We still don't know, can this carank go in a 105e block, are there other differences with the 109E, bore spacings, or bearings sizes, or??
    The 1340 has such a long stroke it puts too much side stress on the cylinder walls, go for the 1200 crank I mentioned in the previous post. But stick with the 85m pistons, I used used (pardon the repetition) 85mm pistons from Bryan Faloons/Atkins bros in my old club car, revved out to 8500 with the hollow 1200 crank but I made sure the balancing was spot on (hope this helps).

Thanks Amerikiwi but this is not the issue, about what is good, the issue is a dating one. Can a 1340 crank fit a 997 block. It is NOT a question of whether its a good idea, it is "can it be done".

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Thanks Amerikiwi but this is not the issue, about what is good, the issue is a dating one. Can a 1340 crank fit a 997 block. It is NOT a question of whether its a good idea, it is "can it be done".
    Isn't the issue one of the 1960 cutoff date? If so, the question is whether a 1340 crank was around in 1960. I thought the only pre-crossflow Kent engines pre 1960 were the 105E 997cc and 1198cc versions - the 1340cc came later.
    The 109E block, for example, is allowed in Formula Junior racing to replace a 105E block but the resultant engine must not exceed the period allowable capacity of either 1000cc (360kg all up) or 1100cc (400kg all up).
    On this basis, perhaps a 109E block would be OK but not if it resulted in an engine capacity over 1198cc?

Well this is what the parts book says for 1959/60 for the 105E Anglia
    Part no 105E - 6010 Block (Cylinder) assy
    If anyone wants the page from the parts book ,email me

The 109E block came about from what I found out today when the 315 came out in 1961,Ford then appeared to have super seeded the 105E block with the one designated 109E,from studying various sources ,I believe therefore the 109E block is a 1961 block