Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Race And Road Car Ads

Awesome stuff guys! These are cool! Hey Bob, you still got that Hart motor? Price looks fair, I won't even haggle on the $3200! Ha ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Awesome stuff guys! These are cool! Hey Bob, you still got that Hart motor? Price looks fair, I won't even haggle on the $3200! Ha ha ha.
    Give ya 3 and a 1/2 Bob

Interesting when you look back on prices ,That was a big sell up at the time to make the move to a Pacific car ,that never happened in the end ,the 416B head eventually I sold it to Rayden Smith ,I vowed I would never sell it ,but It went to a great guy and a good home and he still lets me look at it occasionally
    Most of the other stuff went over time ,I had to beat the punters off lining up to buy the Caball ,the 2 litre TC I still have in my collection,the Waggot crank motor went back to Oz ,interesting the Lotus TC standard bare head that was one of the best standard heads I have ever seen ,I could sell that ten times over in this age and for a lot more I might add ,now if only I still had it all and could sell it tomorrow at todays prices

Semi-Pro Racer

Mr Cuningham

Name:  Russ Cuningham for sale.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  143.5 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  Fisher Capri.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  126.4 KB

Steve, I have been trying to remember the asking price for this, but as it was the start of decimal currency, and dealers were reluctant to call a 500 pound car a 1000 dollar one , 400 rings a bell but wether dollars or pounds i can't recall. The 120 FHC I bought at the same time was 350 of what ever we were dealing in at the time.

Fisher wanted to swap for my 911 in 1988

Semi-Pro Racer

Jag 76

Name:  Jag 76.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  87.2 KB

Semi-Pro Racer

Jag Aussie ad 86

Name:  Jag 150 Aussie 86.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  70.3 KB

I went with my then boss in about '83 to see a red XK 150 FHC that Charlie Conway had for sale, $20 K , it was considered too much at that time.
    Crying now of course.
    Bruce.

And to think I paid the max for a E Type in 81 a serries1 4.2 roadster with hardtop $20,000 40,000miles and 4yrs later sold for a new record $45,000 four yrs. later same car for sale $150.000 never sold finaly went for close to $80.000 3yrs on.today cheep ai $150.ooo and I WISH i HAD IT!!

World Champion
    Bruce302.....I wonder if the XK150 FHC that you saw at Charlie Conways in 1983 was the machine that Rex Day owned. Rexs' was bright red with disc wheels. There weren't many red 150's around at the time, with the not so desirable disc wheels. Rex was a well known member of the Auckland JDC, and at one stage bought the car down to Cambridge to 'my' panel beater to be restored. However on inspection it showed serious rot in all the wrong places, and was going to cost Rex a great deal more than the $5,000 he was prepared to spend, and as the rest of the car was, to put it mildly, a bit of an old dog, Rex went back home with his tail between his legs!!!! Jim you will remember whether Rex traded his car in at Charlies. The time frame is about right.

Sounds like it could be the same car. it must be out there somewhere, and it was pretty typical of what Charlie was selling back then.
    Bruce.

Old Ads

Name:  ZL-1 Ad.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  79.8 KB

Hi Guys,thought you might like this ad from Auto-Action. $16 k might seem cheap in todays money but at the time of this offering you could also buy three new XA-GT,s. The mind boggles........Two genuine ZL-1,s,one careful owner,only driven on Sundays!

Wow, just amazing! Yes, 16K was quite a lot for the time, twice the price of Terry Allans Camaro below, but it had won two ATCC titles, and had a proven record. I hadn't realised Bobs drag car was raced so little. Only four times in two years.

Here was Terry Allans big block Improved Tourer, advertised in early 1971.

Name:  Terry Allan Camaro.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  67.8 KB

Semi-Pro Racer

Huxford Capri

Name:  Huxford Capri 1a.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  113.2 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    Name:  ZL-1 Ad.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  79.8 KB
    ....the Drag Car was the Dark Blue ZL1 #52,that had the motor removed prior to sale,then was later totalled in a 'road' accident,the 427 motor was stored from'73 2002 when it 'fired' up in the 'Famous' #33 ZL1,#7 Camaro......regards thunder427/MJ

Name:  Silcock XK 120.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  118.1 KB
    I looked after this car for many months, when Charlie Conway had it for sale, when he was in Dominion road
    I drove around in it for many a mile, I even done a few laps at Puke in it I sure dont no how Dave ever raced it!!! Graham

Quote Originally Posted by markson View Post
    Name:  Silcock XK 120.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  118.1 KB
    I looked after this car for many months, when Charlie Conway had it for sale, when he was in Dominion road
    I drove around in it for many a mile, I even done a few laps at Puke in it I sure dont no how Dave ever raced it!!! Graham
    As I have said in an earlier post that car should have been put out of its misery long before Charlie got it. It was dangerous to drive at any speed, Graham your are a braver man than I to drive it round Puke.