Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechanics and those behind the scenes

Semi-Pro Racer

Mechanics and those behind the scenes

I was given an old newspaper clipping yesterday and was asked if I could clean it up and print it, part of it is attached.

Name:  PDL Dave Rick 3a223.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  21.3 KB

Semi-Pro Racer

This ones a little bigger

Name:  PDL Dave Rick 3a3.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  79.7 KB

Come on Dave thats not a Jaguar ..Well today I guess it is!!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  PDL Dave Rick 4a2.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  128.9 KBName:  PDL Dave Rick 4a2.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  128.9 KB

Whats that in post #4 Mark? Is that PDL II?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Sorry the image is not that good, it came from an old newspaper cutting. Yes Steve it is PDL 11, with the designer and major fabricator, Rik Deihl on the left,Pete Pinion next, Bob Stewart then Lyall Williamson.Dave may make some more comment,I was asked only to try and rescue a decent copy of the Images.
    I have changed an identity.Also a spelling error.
    Last edited by markec; 04-17-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: 2 errors

Quote Originally Posted by markec View Post
    Sorry the image is not that good, it came from an old newspaper cutting. Yes Steve it is PDL 11, with the designer and major fabricator, Rik Diehl on the left, Dave Silcock next, Bob Stewart then Lyall Williamson.Dave may make some more comment,I was asked only to try and rescue a decent copy of the Images.
    Sorry Mark it is me in the engine shot but is Pete Pinion in the shot with the chassis. The history of this car is very well told in New Zealand Classic Car September 07. I worked at PDL on my return to Ch CH from Auckland in 1975. I think I was there for a couple of years,and saw the building of the car from start to finish. Apart from the brackets that held the brake fluid containers and secured the side pipes I had nothing to do with the car it self, but did build the motors ,gearboxes and diffs. Jac Mac stated in one posting that you could walk from the yard to the dyno room on 351 C blocks!! This was not the case when I was there and Rik can remember and quote the few failures they had. The engines I built [all the modifications were completed by Rik for PDL 1] were both alloy blocks and the spare stayed in the truck all season. There has always been a host of people taking credit for the building of PDL 2 most of it untrue . The above mentioned magazine tells it how it was, I was there and always thought that Rik never ever got the credit that he deserved for creating such a beast.

Thanks Dave. Much of the credit for that article has to go to Todd Stewart. Todd organised to get Rick, Leo Leonard, and Bob Stewart all at the team HQ and I flew down and spent the day with them. We sat in the conference room around a table, I put my dictaphone in the middle of the table, pushed record, and let them go. It was a really great day, and one I'll always remember, as that is one of my all-time favourite race cars.

Bob was only there for a short time, this was only a couple of months before he died. But he really enjoyed being there and listening to the old stories. Rick thanked Bob for giving him the opportunity to build that car. As he said, Bob didn't give him an open chequebook, but he pretty well trusted him and left him to it, and Rick rewarded him with the finished product, which was world-class. As you say Dave, plenty of people have taken credit for that car in some way, but it was really Rick who designed and built it, and who was almost the forgotten man.

Sean Craig was there to take the pics, including this one: L to R: Leo Leonard, Rick Deihl, Bob Stewart, Todd Stewart, Chris Hyde.

Name:  PDL II.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  85.7 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Sorry Dave, I have changed the identity.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Silcock View Post
    Sorry Mark it is me in the engine shot but is Pete Pinion in the shot with the chassis. The history of this car is very well told in New Zealand Classic Car September 07. I worked at PDL on my return to Ch CH from Auckland in 1975. I think I was there for a couple of years,and saw the building of the car from start to finish. Apart from the brackets that held the brake fluid containers and secured the side pipes I had nothing to do with the car it self, but did build the motors ,gearboxes and diffs. Jac Mac stated in one posting that you could walk from the yard to the dyno room on 351 C blocks!! This was not the case when I was there and Rik can remember and quote the few failures they had. The engines I built [all the modifications were completed by Rik for PDL 1] were both alloy blocks and the spare stayed in the truck all season. There has always been a host of people taking credit for the building of PDL 2 most of it untrue . The above mentioned magazine tells it how it was, I was there and always thought that Rik never ever got the credit that he deserved for creating such a beast.
    ...Totally agree with Davids comments re Rik Diehl,a super talent,I had the pleasure of being T/A (Technical Assitance,which means I stood around all day!!) for Rik when he built a trick set of Boat,over the transome exhausts for Greg Fitzgibbon at 409 Harewood Rd Service Station in and around 1975,I still 'brag' about the 'unbelievable' job Rik did to this day,perfect comes to mind and you have to stand on his toe to get him to talk !!!!............my respect and regards to Rik..................thunder427/Myles Johnson

Semi-Pro Racer
    I'll pass those regards on Myles, I will see him again in a couple of weeks.

Myles, He is coming into the shop this morning so I'll pass it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Silcock View Post
    Myles, He is coming into the shop this morning so I'll pass it on.
    Try and stick around you 2 I will try and get some one to come over and take some DNA and blood, and maybe we can do some cloning, that will help alot of us out when looking for talent to make/repair these old toys.

Hey Rod Rik and I are not going away just yet .Riks talking about taking some time off soon ,and thats from fettling Stan Redmonds Lola, to finish this way over the top hot rod he is building for himself and a Lister Chev he has been collecting parts for for years. I did 10 miles in the blue car yesterday and man its awesome, got to stay around to enjoy that!!!

World Champion
    Thats good to hear Dave. All the pressures and temperatures OK?

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Thats good to hear Dave. All the pressures and temperatures OK?
    Yes alls good Gerald, got a bit of oil smoke on the over run, as its got 6 more cam bearings and the cam lobes are drilled I think we have got a bit of a flood going on in the head. Good news is I have managed to get the carbs to run on a 19 degree angle. Rik arrived yesterday with the Weber book stating 7 degrees is tops but No 8 wire over comes all clever technology!

Great to hear Dave, bet you had a smile after that run. Yes Rik has a bit to do on Stans car. Not good, was there and saw it. Brett Willis who I have been hanging around with said he spoke to Stan the other day he reckoned he was good. What do you think may be your first run in Jag Dave.

Semi-Pro Racer

Wally Wilmott

Name:  Wally Wilmott 1b.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  147.7 KBName:  Wally Wilmott 3a.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  97.8 KB

With Tyler Alexander and Timmy Mayer.
    Last edited by markec; 05-07-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Love the high quality wrench in hand!