Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Abandoned, Forgotten, Neglected, Race And Road Cars Thread

Thanks David, that's it! Is it more likely that these are 2 twin cylinder 500s? There are 4 pipes, called Dyna 4 ...?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes, I believe they were 500s

Hi David, not being pedantic, your reply #219 you said 2 single cylinder 500s, is it possible 2 twin cylinder units?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes it is possible. I only repeated what I'd been told

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    The Dyna-Four apparently had two single-cylinder 500cc Lawrence aircraft-auxiliary engines mounted back-to-back. I saw it race once or twice around 1963 or '64 (in dark blue), and believe it was in the Bay of Plenty area a couple of years after that, but haven't heard of it since.

I took these photos at scrutineering for the first Pukekohe GP meeting
    This photo was taken at a Pukekohe CC hillclimb at Ararimu Road, Paparimu around 1964-65. Not sure what colour it was then, or who drove it.

The car's origins seem to be several years earlier. At the NZ Championship Sprint at Aka Aka(Eastern Drain Road?) run on 19 November 1960, Eric Watt set a NZ Class G (751-1100cc) record for the Standing Kilo in a Dynafour Special of 34.62 sec. Not particularly fast, the 500 cc cars of Jeffares and Learnan were a second or two faster, but obviously faster the the existing class record.

Does anyone know who built it or when?

Stu

Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    This photo was taken at a Pukekohe CC hillclimb at Ararimu Road, Paparimu around 1964-65. Not sure what colour it was then, or who drove it.

The car's origins seem to be several years earlier. At the NZ Championship Sprint at Aka Aka(Eastern Drain Road?) run on 19 November 1960, Eric Watt set a NZ Class G (751-1100cc) record for the Standing Kilo in a Dynafour Special of 34.62 sec. Not particularly fast, the 500 cc cars of Jeffares and Learnan were a second or two faster, but obviously faster the the existing class record.

Does anyone know who built it or when?

Stu
    Was it the Dyna Four built by Ted Thompson and Curley Brown (see Vercoe page 110).

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    Was it the Dyna Four built by Ted Thompson and Curley Brown (see Vercoe page 110).
    Quite possibly. Re-reading Vercoes story doesn't help, but Pukekohe programmes from 1963 and 1964 show both Robert Rankin and Garth Taylor entered it as the Dina Four, of 977 and 948 cc capacity. 1960 news clipping refer to the Dynafour Special so maybe they were 2 different cars with very similar name. Pity there isn't a photo of the Eric Watt car.

Stu

Hi While working in the bush the other day,collecting fire wood,I came across the remains of this rusty,trusty,TREKKA???, it look like it rolled,I am not sure if there is a body ,or bones under it??? Name:  P1030133.JPG
Views: 2810
Size:  81.6 KB
    Last edited by markson; 02-10-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: 610

Any one looking for a life long rewarding resto project
    Last edited by markson; 02-10-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: 161

Driving down the road a number of years ago and this is what i spotted on side of road.Me and my son pulled up,got out and took some photos.I noticed some more cars in the distance one of them looked like a Vailant Charger.Also was a guy with a digger and truck in the same paddock,so we went up the drive jumped the fence and headed to the digger driver to ask if we could get better photos of the Merc,when really my interest was the Charger.He was the owner of property and was digging up vehicles that had been buried for a number of years.What i saw was a pile of rusty panels,rear ends,front ends just rubbish.He was taken it to the scrapyard as the price of scrap was good.Havent been down that road since,but pretty sure it all ended at the scrapyardName:  Mercedes treestump.jpg
Views: 2223
Size:  121.3 KB

Here is the rusty ChargerName:  Charger l front.jpg
Views: 2245
Size:  129.3 KBName:  Charger r front.jpg
Views: 2397
Size:  154.6 KBName:  Charger r rear.jpg
Views: 2515
Size:  142.8 KBName:  Charger rear.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  145.7 KB

Wow, that is amazing! Of the 'big three' the Chryslers were always the poor cousins, both in the US and Aus, but now they're demanding really big money for the right cars. This Charger would be worth plenty now if its condition wasn't so bad.

Hey John McKechnie, when most people get an old car out of a shed they take an air tank to pump up the tyres. They don`t usually need an air tank to view the car!!!!

One careful lady owner, low milage, always garaged......

Any idear where these cars are & if they are for sale