Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Abandoned, Forgotten, Neglected, Race And Road Cars Thread

World Champion
    Ferrari,Maserati, what other brand is famously is red and Italian? 2 words

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    OK.....last guess. A Maserati 300S..... can I see the 'Trident' on the clutch pedal? My eyes are buggered...too much knitting!!!!

World Champion
    OK.......Alpha-Romeo........1900

World Champion
    Giulia

OK.......Alpha-Romeo........1900
    What happened to the "last guess"?
    And it's Alfa, you been pinching Jims' pills?

World Champion
    Yeh...... why do I always want to spell Alfa, Alpha.... And talking of spelling. It was suggested that we might purchase a dictionary from beowulf. I'm sure he would be happy to sell one, but are we any better off. If you don't have a pretty good idea of how a word is spelt you are no further ahead. Even getting one letter wrong in a word can throw you miles off the hunt. Take a word like 'pseudonym'....you would be hunting forever under 'S'... Spell check, on my computer anyway, is geared to American spelling, and even words I know I have got right are often underlined. Other words don't even figure in USA talk......'UNDO'...a simple little word stamped on the face of a splined wheel nut. It completely baffled the American owners of Jaguars when it appeared in the early 50's. Also...'FITTED'....if you read American writers, like Lee Child for instance, it will always be 'FIT' even though it sounds very wrong to English readers. So, sorry oldfart, I will take less of the pills and see if my spelling improves....lol

You lot are not very fair I have the same problem Jacky Stewart has added to this is my age ,if I stop to check I forget what I was trying to say and with everyone around me using texing and twitter someone has to lead the way,plus the way to combat brain shutdown is to create words and sentences were you have to think ,,Ask Beowulf if he has any of my books I produced on the subject several years back,now all have a happy day

Also...'FITTED'....if you read American writers, like Lee Child for instance, it will always be 'FIT' even though it sounds very wrong to English readers.

Lee Child is a Brit who tries to use the local doggerel, Fit being a much used word here (as a verb) but sometimes he goes overboard - in one of his earlier books he used "is all" ad nauseum but eased up in later releases. Shoot, we could start a thread on American racing grammar alone, a lot of racer quotes are really enjoyable reading if you like that sort of thing (or not).....

World Champion
    Amerikiwi.....I do like that sort of thing because it it different to what we are used to. Yes your right, Lee Child is a Brit, but sounds very American in his writing.......'have a nice day'....is something he doesn't use, because his victims are definately NOT going to have a nice day! Now Jim, wasn't Jackie Stewart dislexic? I don't think you are dislexic, well it doesn't come out in your writing anyway.....if you write dyslexic as.....lyscedic, then you may be dyslexic. Your grandchildren have been teaching you too much text-speak...ie no capitals, comas, or full stops. But hey, as Steve says, this is not English as a second language class, just get it down and we will work it out. Now we have gone so far off subject, that a rap over the knuckles will be coming from someone.
    Amerikiwi......start a thread on American racing grammer and lets have some fun.

World Champion
    I checked with beowulf Jim, and the first printing of your book was sold out! Awaiting permission for a reprint with added material. It seems oldfart that I must have a big build-up of Jim's Little Pink Pills, as my spelling is still suspect.....dislexia instead of dyslexia.
    Visual Dyslexia.....characterised by number and letter reversals, and the inability to write symbols in the correct sequence.

Yes sorry about the reprint we are using the same folk that did the BMc scrapbook,July Aug we hope!!!

World Champion

More

Btw The Tractor isn't a car but it's a Porsche so it scrapes in I think...
    Attached Images Attached Images       

World Champion
    The Porsche tractor has been 'arcticised'.....all the air intakes blocked to try and keep it warm in a cold climate. Don't look at the MK 7 Dave......good spare engine for someone. Now that primer painted machine in the bottom corner......could it be a Monteverdi?

Wow, a very sad looking Dodge Daytona or Plymouth Superbird there! Amazing! Those cars are worth mega-bucks these days.

World Champion
    It's a superbird Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, a very sad looking Dodge Daytona or Plymouth Superbird there! Amazing! Those cars are worth mega-bucks these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Got an address? Myles and I could save that!!!!!!!!!!

World Champion

Monteverdi_375/4/

only about 20 made of this model..
    The Porsche tractor has been 'arcticised'.....all the air intakes blocked to try and keep it warm in a cold climate. Don't look at the MK 7 Dave......good spare engine for someone. Now that primer painted machine in the bottom corner......could it be a Monteverdi?

World Champion

alloy bodied 1952 Austin A40 sports

Basket case

World Champion

1970 Plymouth Superbird 440

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemonza View Post
    It was on Ebay for $45,000

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Plymout...item2a12a71e29

World Champion

1970 Plymouth Superbird 440

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemonza View Post
    It was on Ebay for $45,000

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Plymout...#ht_1544wt_933

Amerikiwi.....I do like that sort of thing because it it different to what we are used to. Yes your right, Lee Child is a Brit, but sounds very American in his writing.......'have a nice day'....is something he doesn't use, because his victims are definately NOT going to have a nice day! Now Jim, wasn't Jackie Stewart dislexic? I don't think you are dislexic, well it doesn't come out in your writing anyway.....if you write dyslexic as.....lyscedic, then you may be dyslexic. Your grandchildren have been teaching you too much text-speak...ie no capitals, comas, or full stops. But hey, as Steve says, this is not English as a second language class, just get it down and we will work it out. Now we have gone so far off subject, that a rap over the knuckles will be coming from someone.
    Amerikiwi......start a thread on American racing grammer and lets have some fun.
    I will get some quotes together, don't know that it deserves a dedicated post though? By the way, I have to admit that I'm a dyslexic atheist, don't believe in Dog...