Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show & Tell outside Kar Kraft

Show & Tell outside Kar Kraft

Kar Kraft would certainly have been an interesting place to work in 1969 (thereabouts) - Projects like the Boss 429 Mustangs, the magnificent Trans-Am Mustangs and specials like the G7A & President Bunkie's Talladega would make for a fun workplace....

I found these photos on the net a few weeks back while trolling around for Torino Talladega photos. As soon as I remember where they came from I'll post up a link so you all can go there for a better look as the original file sizes were much larger.

I'll post up the two G7A shots so they're all together;

A better shot of the Torino Talladega built specifically for Ford President Bunkie Knudsen. It was unique in a number of ways - colour, interior seats, air con, side pipes and probably a few other minor things. It's certainly a special beast and is every bit as significant as the black Australian XW Falcon GT 428 Cobra Jet that was built for the then Australian Ford President Bill Bourke. I could be wrong, but I think Kar Kraft may have built that car too?

And now one of my all time dream cars - the Smokey Yunick 1969 Boss 302 Trans Am car. If I ever win lotto, I'll be asking Mr Mathers to build me one just like it.... One stunning machine;

Semi-Pro Racer
    ....the suited up guy,with the.."I wouldn't mind driving that" look on his face, is Mr Dan Gurney himself !!!!!!.....

....The photo of the 'Black and Gold'/ Smokey Yunick/ Trans-am Mustang is the same one that is featured in the Moffat Book,published some years ago it incorrectly claims that this is the car Moffat recieved....strange that his KK-Mustang arrived in Melbourne in 'Undercoat'.......

.....and the good news is that at least 'One' Kar Kraft employee Drives the correct make of Car judging by the Little Red Corvette parked at the Curb!!!!!!.......

...regards thunder427/Myles from nowhere!......

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    ....the suited up guy,with the.."I wouldn't mind driving that" look on his face, is Mr Dan Gurney himself !!!!!!.....

....The photo of the 'Black and Gold'/ Smokey Yunick/ Trans-am Mustang is the same one that is featured in the Moffat Book,published some years ago it incorrectly claims that this is the car Moffat recieved....strange that his KK-Mustang arrived in Melbourne in 'Undercoat'.......

.....and the good news is that at least 'One' Kar Kraft employee Drives the correct make of Car judging by the Little Red Corvette parked at the Curb!!!!!!.......

...regards thunder427/Myles from nowhere!......
    No Myles, i read else where that the Corvette broke down outside Kar Kraft and the mechanics couldn't reach the distributor to repair!! LOL

Dale M
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 04-20-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Really great shots Myles, don't you just love the headers on the G7A? Rik sends his regards ,just about talked him into joining us on here even if its just to catch up with you.
    Cheers Dave.

And now one of my all time dream cars - the Smokey Yunick 1969 Boss 302 Trans Am car. If I ever win lotto, I'll be asking Mr Mathers to build me one just like it.... One stunning machine;

[/QUOTE]

Yes Superford, one seriously cool TA Mustang. I had pics blown up of this very car when i was building mine, infact i'd need to win lotto just to build it for myself!! Im at Watkins Glen for the Shelby nationals in June so im hoping it will be there as i've never seen it.

Lots written about these cars today and amazing the tricks the likes of Kar Kraft did to obtain that advantage.

Dale M

Not Kar Kraft but the New Mexico desert. As always seem to pay tomorrows money when i bought it but that soon changed, my Boss is only one of 3 with the same options, a total of 1628, 69 Boss 302's where built. Was still wearing its original paint, i just luv buying them like this!! My American mate looking at the Boss on the trailer thought i was "mad" at the time, LOL

Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Kiwiboss; 04-20-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Name:  Torino (Small).jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  72.8 KBHi Superford, Thanks again for all the grouse shots. Those cars are high on my all time favorites list too. Just in case you don’t win lotto, you could park a similar Torino in a garage of your choise . 390 , 4 Speed, Restoration just about complete ! PM me if your interested !

Its a grouse car, your Boss

Be keen to read the story of your car and pictures of it build.

Semi-Pro Racer
    ......Bunkie Knudsen's tricked up Torino Talladega was a feature car in last mths 'Muscle Car Review',(March/2012),"Knudsen's Talladega", will try to put it up here, good read......regards thunder427/Myles
    Last edited by thunder427; 04-22-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Further Imfo !!!

What an amazing thread! I'm with you guys, Smokeys Boss was just too cool! What was it about Smokey Yunick, his cars were always cool. This car never actually raced in the Trans-Am, I think the only racing it ever did was in the Nascar Grand American/Grand Touring series. More on it here: http://www.ponysite.de/smokey.htm

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    ......Bunkie Knudsen's tricked up Torino Talladega was a feature car in last mths 'Muscle Car Review',(March/2012),"Knudsen's Talladega", will try to put it up here, good read......regards thunder427/Myles
    Does the car still exist Myles?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Does the car still exist Myles?
    It certainly does Steve - as per above it was a feature car in a recent issue of Muscle Car Review - I'll scan it later and post up (unless I'm beaten to it!!). Interestingly it was because of that issue of MCR that was searching for other photos of the Talladega and found all the other photos posted above. I also have a bunch of other photos (all obtained off the net at some point) of both this car and Smokey's Boss. I'll post them up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Parnelli View Post
    Name:  Torino (Small).jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  72.8 KBHi Superford, Thanks again for all the grouse shots. Those cars are high on my all time favorites list too. Just in case you don’t win lotto, you could park a similar Torino in a garage of your choise . 390 , 4 Speed, Restoration just about complete ! PM me if your interested !
    A 390 and a 4-speed is a fantastic combo, and a mightly lookig machine I must say - but I think need a lotto win even to get that!!!!

I've got more photos of these cars so I'll post em up if you're interested.

Here are a bunch more of Smokey's sensational Boss 302;

Outside Kar Kraft;

It only lasted a short time looking like it did above - Under instruction from Bunkie Knudsen, Smokey made some alterations and went Grand Touring racing. Apparently Smokey was not happy doing this and seeing as Bunkie was fired by Henry Ford II on the Friday before the cars first race appearance, it became it's only race under Smokey's control.

Shown below with driver Bunkie Blackburn and in action during the race;

Fast forward a few years and she's been restored back to as-delivered condition;

And a few actions shots post restoration;

and the heart of the beast;

And lastly where she lives today at the 3dog Garage along with a host of other stunning machines of the Ford variety (I have a few photos of these cars too but that's for another thread!), and sitting next to 'her sister' the Bud Moore Engineering George Follmer Boss 302 Trans-am;

and very lastly, my favorite shot of this car;

Interestingly enough Superford, Chris Liebenberg who works for Ross Myers at 3 Dog, purchased the ex Grindly Olds/buick tube frame race car from Steve Ross in Dunedin back in 03, apparently it was an ex Roush 1983 Trans Am Mustang that Willy T Rib's won in that year. I have spoken with Chris several times about this car when in the US.

Dale M

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
    Interestingly enough Superford, Chris Liebenberg who works for Ross Myers at 3 Dog, purchased the ex Grindly Olds/buick tube frame race car from Steve Ross in Dunedin back in 03, apparently it was an ex Roush 1983 Trans Am Mustang that Willy T Rib's won in that year. I have spoken with Chris several times about this car when in the US.

Dale M
    Hi Dale, I do recall reading that a while ago - are they restoring it back to 'willy spec'? There can't have been much left of the Roush car as didn't Don have it bodied & powered as an Oldsmoblie Cutlass or something like that?? Gee haven't we had (and still have) some amazing machines grace our shores. Another car I loved was Mark Petch's Trans Am Merkur that Kayne Scott won several titles in, and was sold back to a collector in the states for more than Mark paid for it back in 1989 / 1990. The 3dog Garage has a Roush Merkur but I can't remember if it's the Kayne Scott car or not, but given your connections I reckon you might be able to find out!!!!

Cheers,
    Jarrod

Quote Originally Posted by superford View Post
    The 3dog Garage has a Roush Merkur but I can't remember if it's the Kayne Scott car or not, but given your connections I reckon you might be able to find out!!!!
    I believe it's presently owned by Steve Schuler, as noted here.

QUOTE=superford;12971]A 390 and a 4-speed is a fantastic combo, and a mightly lookig machine I must say - but I think need a lotto win even to get that!!!!

I've got more photos of these cars so I'll post em up if you're interested.[/QUOTE]

The Torino and Ranchero are owned by my brother , but the Torino needs to find another home to fund the build of a '68 notchback for HMC. And yes, we are always keen to see shots of the good old cars.