Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Allcomer Saloons

New Zealand Allcomer Saloons

Not sure why it is this forum has been running for a year now and nobody has started a thread dedicated to the Allcomer saloons! Anyway, time to put that right, so if you have anything Allcomer related, including photos, race program entries, results, lost and found info, etc etc, post it here, and we'll build ourselves a database.

I'll kick off with a neat photo supplied by Bob Homewood. I'm pretty certain this is one of the preliminary races prior to the big championship race at the opening round of the 1967 NZ Saloon Car Championship, but if anyone would like to set me straight, please jump in. Robbie Franicevic would be starting this race from the rear of the grid in the Custaxie, and finished third, behind Paul Fahey and Jack Nazer.

Name:  546515_10150734599768288_814918287_9588276_735926943_n.jpg
Views: 3182
Size:  157.1 KB

Here is the program from that same event, again supplied by Bob.

Name:  522486_10150759272908288_814918287_9646926_1577192430_n.jpg
Views: 2967
Size:  159.5 KB

World Champion

Brent Hawes

The 'Hardtop' Tojeiro Jag as raced at Wigram 1966
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Another supplied by Bob, this is just after the start of the race shown above, with Jack Nazer leading the Mustangs of Paul Fahey and Ivan Segedin.

Name:  544767_294124623999780_100002067332952_663779_1344084971_n.jpg
Views: 2929
Size:  104.5 KB

This might be handy as it goes with that race and might answer a few questions ,incidentally that race was quite wet ,although the photos don't show it
    Into Champion Curve for the first time in the big All Comer race and Jack Nazer's Lotus Anglia led Fahey,Segedin,Frank Radisich,and Neil Doyle,with one lap gone there was a tussle for the lead between ,Fahey ,Nazer,and Segedin,followed by a gap to Doyle,Rod Coppins in the ex Fahey Anglia and Radisich,Coppins assumed fourth place,while with the rain increasing Nazer moved into the lead on lap 3,the white Mustang then retaking this position shortly after,meantime Francevic was speeding through the field after starting on the back row of the grid and the Segedin Mustand retired,Fahey finally won the race by little more than a second from Nazer,Francevic,Coppins,Doyle and John Rileys Anglia Oldsmobile "

Semi-Pro Racer

5 November 1966 NSCC Pukekohe

The screen-saver on my computer is set up to run through all my pictures on a sort of random process.

This picture appeared yesterday after a period of keyboard inactivity and I just had to find it and post it here!

I must have taken it at almost the same instant as the picture in the first posting. I have 2 versions of the starting grid in 2 programmes, but neither one tallies with this picture. At least Bob Homewood seems to be in his right position, but Robbie Francevic looks like he is planning a big blast around the outside. The full version of this slide shows some very dark clouds to the South, which tallies with the wet track Bob mentions.

Stu

Wow, Stu, that is superb! What a beautiful photo. Thanks for posting it. After researching this event, I'm certain all three pics shown here are of the preliminary race that preceded the points paying race at the opening round of the '67 championship. Franicevic started this one at the rear, but as the starting positions for the main race were based on finishing positions from this race, he started the main race third on the grid.

In the programme page you will see K Hirst with an A90. I had the pleasure of catching up with him again on Sunday and was told a bit about that car. In 67 I joined Thames Valley, and can't remember a thing about it, but "Pipe" Robertsons A40 gave me some interesting rides!

Not sure if this fits the mold or not....
    Name:  Baypark allcomers.JPG
Views: 2649
Size:  107.1 KB

May not have, but Scott Wiseman's winged E-type sure fits the bill!

Red Dawson and Paul Fahey's Mustangs sandwich Norm Beechey's Chevy Nova on the front row, and the Lexington Camaro is driven by Spinner Black. That'd be the same meeting you snapped Grable at, December 1968.

Beautiful photo Allan!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, Stu, that is superb! What a beautiful photo. Thanks for posting it. After researching this event, I'm certain all three pics shown here are of the preliminary race that preceded the points paying race at the opening round of the '67 championship. Franicevic started this one at the rear, but as the starting positions for the main race were based on finishing positions from this race, he started the main race third on the grid.
    Steve yes I have struggled with that photo because I remembered in The main race Bill Bryce and Graham Park were just ahead of me for all of the race and there was no Mini ( Bill Bryce )in that photo,I nearly got past Park at one stage but it was just too wet to see ,I decided a finish was better than being a hero,incidentally that race was for the fastest 30 cars from race 1,2,and 3
    Last edited by bob homewood; 05-01-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Name:  Scott Wiseman EType Jag edited.JPG
Views: 2631
Size:  102.4 KB
    E Type Jag Pukekohe. Is the Zephyr Noel Goodwins in the background?

Another really cool pic. Interesting to see what looks like a spare set of front doors for the Zephyr.

Best photo I have seen of the Wiseman car wing and all

Semi-Pro Racer

Hopefully someone can put some names to those other than Francevich Nazer and Fahey. I believe it is Wigram. Sorry about the sound.

Clyde Collins, Neil Doyle just to throw 2 into the mix. Definitely Wigram

World Champion
    Jim Mullins (brief shot) Frank Radisich, John Ward, Rod Coppins, F Hamlin ? Bill Bryce??
    Last edited by bry3500; 05-02-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Wow, that is just sensational! Where did you find that? Ron Rutherford is driving the white A40. John Ward was racing the ex-Fahey Anglia here, he and Coppins were taking turns during the season.

Hard case the set of spare doors for the Z-Car, if Goody was involved a good move. Wonder if they had a grill and bumper as well.

Then again knowing Goody one set for scrutineering and one for racing.