Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
I wonder if he returned for the Labour Weekend event in October '68, then the Xmas meeting in Dec '68. That would explain the pic I posted above where he is chasing the Spinner Black Camaro pre-Lexington colours. It wouldn't have been Dec 1969, as Coppins would have been racing the Black Camaro by then, and Beechey had been racing his Monaro all year, with the Nova having been sold to John Kay.

I reckon that's it Steve. The Nova was definitely black first time out in Dec 1967, but Spinner Black's Camaro wasn't at that meeting.
As far as I recall, the Nova then went back to Australia, but was used seldom if at all until its' return to Bay Park, painted blue : I tend to agree with the Labour Weekend theory. By then the jig was up, the Nova was heavy and underbraked which Norm had offset first time out with piles of bravado and lashings of opposite lock. Next time out, and for the subsequent Dec '68 meeting, it seemed it was no longer much fun to be steering the old girl. Didn't stop Norm making a legion of fans with his thrilling driving and effervescent personality. Great days...