Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: imformatin required

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by markson View Post
    Attachment 8176Attachment 8177

Photos of side window Graham
    ......markson,I've been building and pulling cars to bits for tooooooo long and that 'chrome' roof rail mould was barking at me,I think I may have it!!!!.....the windscreen angle was near vertical which made me think E-Type...My 2nd Guess ,thinking price and availabilty in NZ.....HK,HT,HG Monaro,then modified......the 1/4 window is most definitely 'Home-Grown'.......'google HK Monaro........regards MJ

Hi MJ I appreciate your input .The trim is definitely factory ,it is to well made to be custom made, but seems a little wide to have come from a car,could it be aircraft??? The window its self looks to me to be custom made ,My guess is that the frame is a modified early MINI Deluxe ,my MINI COOPER had the same type of frame and fixing hinge Graham

Name:  P1090269.JPG
Views: 914
Size:  108.8 KB
    Almost 2in wide Graham

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  P1090269.JPG
Views: 914
Size:  108.8 KB
    Almost 2in wide Graham
    ...caravan door garnish,industrial fridge doors and possible the boat manufactures......MJ

Hi MJ I will have a look and see if i can see any F&P stampings on them, might be a bit of the edging trim off an old Laminex table top, or a bit of a Men's old Urinal. LOL Graham
    Last edited by markson; 05-03-2012 at 03:47 AM. Reason: add to

Semi-Pro Racer
    Hi MJ I will have a look and see if i can see any F&P stampings on them, might be a bit of the edging trim off an old Laminex table top, or a bit of a Men's old Urinal. LOL Graham
    .....YES!!!!....the laminex table edge and the back edge has been folded for the 'wind' strip,now 'm feeling better,just felt I had seen that molding some where ,now I know...my Mum's yellow laminex kitchen table !!!!.....regards MJ

Hi MJ If you have a real close look at the back edge, where the weather sealing rubber strip fits, you will see that it has been welded on
    Regards Graham
    Last edited by markson; 05-03-2012 at 08:30 AM. Reason: add to

Hi All .Well this must be one of the rarest cars built in NZ, a real mystery.After several emails to and from, Mr Gordon Hook ( Satiator) thanks for that contact, it looks like I am back down the Bolwell track, someone suggested a AC Cobra coupe prototype,(LOL)
    . Graham
    Last edited by markson; 05-04-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: addto

Semi-Pro Racer
    .....Graham,check if the fibreglass is 'hand-layed' or 'chopper gun',Bowell used the chopper- gun method in the lay-up process,in other words if it was hand- layer you would see straight lines where the sections of f-glass where overlayed, chopstrand has the look of one continuous sheet .....just the start of another 'clue' ......MJ

Hi MJ It seems to have a combination of both ??? Graham

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  papers2.JPG
Views: 1576
Size:  161.6 KBName:  papers.JPG
Views: 1149
Size:  194.8 KB

Graham has provided the ownership papers for this car. What is interesting is that it was a one off car registered as a Markson.You couldnt register a one off make now days as if its not a make already in the computer they dont want to know. The mileage is also interesting as the car seems to have had little use.The sexist ones amongst you may also find it interesting, for a one off handbuilt car, that the first and last registered owners were woman.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    .....Graham,check if the fibreglass is 'hand-layed' or 'chopper gun',Bowell used the chopper- gun method in the lay-up process,in other words if it was hand- layer you would see straight lines where the sections of f-glass where overlayed, chopstrand has the look of one continuous sheet .....just the start of another 'clue' ......MJ
    Not the way I have ever made up hand lay in sections, I have always patterned the pieces, and was "taught" to make the edges soft rather than cut straight in order to blend more gradually and alleviate exotherms, however my Buckler is made up with squares.
    I earned my living for a number of years with lightweight laminates, the "dashboards" on the Harrier jumpjets were very particular on no straight line joins.

Hi Oldfart
    I know a bit about cars, but an awfull lot about fibreglass Google pocock racing shells wiki history. Just wish I new a little more about this MARKSON Regards Graham

May be things have changed in the last twenty years,but Bakers herons were called Skodas on the papers, my Short Spyder in 1990 was reg, as a Cortina as we kept the don. car reg.Then one day heading home on to the motorway at Penrose a cop got in behind me and just on dark ,I actually thought it may be a tow truck going by the roof lights.I changed lanes he followed ,eventually he pulled me up.He knew my name ect ,he had phoned cars reg to his base and was told a 72 cortina station wagon,after a chat about this and that he told me the cost had come down from around 5 or6 thousand dollars to 4 or 5 hundred to reg a new car.So when the current reg ran out I got new plates and no.About a yr. later I was driving same stretch of road when this cop car pulls along side with his loudhailer {and they are loud} I undid my leather helmet pulled out earplugs and defiantly stuck my head out{bloody cops always pick on sportscars} I see you have a new number he said with a smile!!!

Hi GEEBEE It is also interesting to note that the last owner, who was the fourth owner after the Burrows, was also a lady
    I can see a little reverse psychology ( DARLING I have just brought this car for US for your Birthday ) Graham
    Last edited by markson; 05-06-2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: edit

World Champion
    More pics from John L's excellent Bolly Blog site
    http://wwwbollyblog.blogspot.com.au/
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hi Oldfart
    I know a bit about cars, but an awfull lot about fibreglass Google pocock racing shells wiki history. Just wish I new a little more about this MARKSON Regards Graham
    We won't play "one upsmanship" Olympic qualifier Tornados were one of my successes, and I did do quite a few bits for British Aerospace in the 80s too.
    Interesting to note that the Markson has lever arm front shocks. Not the latest technology in the late 60s!
    Last edited by Oldfart; 05-06-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Oldfart Not only lever arm in the front but telescopic shocks as well. Why the lever arm shocks were there is a mystery.
    GB

Semi-Pro Racer
    [QUOTE=Oldfart;13534]Not the way I have ever made up hand lay in sections, I have always patterned the pieces, and was "taught" to make the edges soft rather than cut straight in order to blend more gradually and alleviate exotherms, however my Buckler is made up with squares.
    I earned my living for a number of years with lightweight laminates, the "dashboards" on the Harrier jumpjets were very particular on no straight line joins.[/QUOTE

.....Oldfart,rest assured I agree with you fibreglass method as I to have been working with F/glass since 1961,but have found that most 'specials' have very 'poor' fibreglass skills employed........my thinking was that the Bowell being of a professional manufacture where as a 'One-off' special build might show an amature level of application.

Story for Oldfart,Guy walks into my shop some 12months ago,of a rather 'Loud' nature,no consideration of the discussion's taking place,just announces.."Myles Ive bought a 63 Corvette in bits,I'm going to rebuild it,like I'm over those 'Prima-dona' panel beaters any body can repair a Corvette, as they are only FIBREGLASS !!!!!!!!,I subjested that the thing with the sun shinning through it was a DOOR,feel free to use it and dont let it bang you on the arse on the way out !!!!!!,he then asked had he offended me ????,I kindly reminded him that I had spent 40yrs under the delussion that fibreglass done well was an 'art form',who was he to belittle my efforts especially in front of people I may be trying to extort money from for my skills/craft/efforts.........given credit ,he did appologise!!....funny he's been back 5 times since for assistance/help/advise................Oh Well,Its the World we live in...MJ

Hi BRY3500 Let John L know through his Bolly Blog ,that if he has to walk Bare Arsed to Oodnadatta if he is wrong ,then i'll be with him.Also I will provide the sunscreen, hats, and beers Graham