Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 Shelby Convention

Just a small storey about Shelby ,John Olshen we all know he built the coupe .In 1997 I was at what we would call a kit car display held at Anahiam? near Disneyland , over an acre of cars all proudley displayed and the duster going fulltime,Shelby had a site all closed in with a rope, on stopping to chat I mentioned I knew John disbeleive was in there eyes so I pulled out my wallet with one or two perhaps ten photos ,does that look like him beside the special he helped me to build,it quickly went around all the chaps on the stand approx 8 ,next thing I was pulled {almost} inside have a seat !!!they could not do eneough gave me a Shelby calender plus one for John ,no you cant go yet Bob Bondurant ?? will want to meet you, and he,s do any minute,I think thats who,, one of there top drivers anyhow ,over the road was the biggest goup of Fords I had ever seen ,it was there Natiomal day as well,and at this stage I was looking for the French made shocks fitted to the early v8s Huadia??? {that will test Amco} Maserati and Ferrari used then on there GP cars.Cars from Models A to the very latest, just hapend to ask this chap with a 34 hotrod what did they do with the old shocks?Why he asked so showed him a photo I just happend to have ,the same one actually of the Ferrari 500 spec.He went rather quite as he looked and studied the photo, turned out he was the president of the Ferrari Drivers Club!!!

Fantastic images - those cars really do put the emphasis on "muscle" don't they?

Houdaille is the one you are looking for Jum

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    This is CSX 2472. An original Dragonsnake that happened to be autocrossed and road raced for the bulk of it's existence.
    Last edited by OCTARD-USA; 05-01-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post

From Dale M: This Trans Am Mustang went to auction not long after this event, thing the reserve was a Mill? might have been 800K? was expensive anyway but very well restored and a very rare historic car.
    This is Bud Moore Boss 9F02R112074, and did not sell in it's last auction (Russo & Steele, Monterey, 2010).

Because Steve commented on the tyres/tires, I should also note that the Firestones on this car are original, and not the recently offered reproductions.

The restoration effort on this car, most of which was originally performed by Richard Rodeck, is stunning.
    Last edited by OCTARD-USA; 05-01-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Oldfart it looks wrong ,I think the French have a y in there,but then again I find a lot of words are wrong, but as to the shocks on the car when I got it they were Amstrongs or some thing,quite wrong for the Ferrari chassis going by what I had to work to.This morning tea break John, Paul and I were stud examining the plans when John an old hotrodder says you know they look like I had on my old hotrod!! A phone call to ford wreckers and yes they had this one only $100 later it was on the car,the other one was enother storey, I will now spend hours looking for the hoo die thats how its pronouced advert.

Quote Originally Posted by OCTARD-USA View Post
    This is CSX 2472. An original Dragonsnake that happened to be autocrossed and road raced for the bulk of it's existence.
    Thanks Chad, great info. What is autocrossing? Is that where competitors race against the clock around a temporary course made up of cones etc?

Quote Originally Posted by OCTARD-USA View Post

This is Bud Moore Boss 9F02R112074, and did not sell in it's last auction (Russo & Steele, Monterey, 2010).

Because Steve commented on the tyres/tires, I should also note that the Firestones on this car are original, and not the recently offered reproductions.

The restoration effort on this car, most of which was originally performed by Richard Rodeck, is stunning.
    Thanks Chad, yes, agreed, stunning restoration. I didn't know the tyres are original. Amazing! I assume NOS?

Houdaille must be a senior moment looks ok now thanks

Thanks Chad, yes, agreed, stunning restoration. I didn't know the tyres are original. Amazing! I assume NOS?
    NOS, or darn near.
    Last edited by OCTARD-USA; 05-01-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks Chad, great info. What is autocrossing? Is that where competitors race against the clock around a temporary course made up of cones etc?
    Indeed, that is a good description of what folks in the USA call autocrossing. Similar to gymkhana.

Here is a link
    to photos of CSX 2472 at a Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania autocross, back in the day.

More Trans-Am racing Mustangs, these all being privateer entries.
    ex John McComb '66.
    Steve, this is a 1966 Shelby Group II Mustang currently owned by Carl Stein. According to the 2011 Shelby Registry, this is the 3rd 1966 Group II Mustang built. This car was originally raced by Peter Talbert.

Though McComb did drive this car at the Mid-America Trans-Am, it might be a bit confusing to label this the John McComb '66 notchback, because he bought and ran his own car (another '66 Group II Mustang, the 12th car built... According to the 2011 Shelby Registry).

More on the above pictured Hayward Ford liveried, #91 Group II Mustang can be seen here and here.

More on the John McComb, #33 Group II Mustang can be seen here and here.
    Last edited by OCTARD-USA; 05-02-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks for clarifying that Chad. I wondered as the car was presented in its current guise and raced in Historic Trans-Am this could have been the guise in which McComb raced it? McComb also raced a '67 Mustang too didn't he?

On Carl Stein's Group II Mustang, here is a link to an image of how it looked on the cover of the September, 1966, CAR LIFE magazine.

McComb also raced a '67 Mustang too didn't he?
    Indeed. Last I knew, the '67 Group II Mustang originally raced by John McComb was/is owned by Gary Underwood.

Chad, thanks so much. Really great links and info. The ponysite website is an excellent place to visit. I've spent many hours there.

Jim, you would not have had to look too far, they were used on a huge variety of 30s and 40s Fords as well as the Italian exotica.
    Last edited by Oldfart; 05-02-2012 at 07:23 AM.

We found most of the cars originals had been updated and what would you expect to pay if there are so many about???

Semi-Pro Racer
    Steve, You may wish to start a different thread on this but i have just had news that Carroll Hall Shelby, the Texan who created the famous Shelby Cobra and uncounted other high-performance machines that turned the auto world on its ear, and made it a whole lot more fun for 50 years, died in Dallas Thursday night at age 89. He had been hospitalized for pneumonia
    Graeme