Thread: Great site - lots to learn - from a Datsun Z Car fan

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Great site - lots to learn - from a Datsun Z Car fan

Hi all,

I am Mike from Auckland NZ. I have been a long time Datsun Z Club member for over 17years now. Some of the kiwi's of this group might recall our meetings we used to hold in the 90's...lots of fun

Anyway I have always loved cars from the 60-70's era and I guess spending my very early years in Singapore while the family was posted over there - I like some of the odd ball Japanese manufactured cars.

When living there Dad wanted to purchase a Datsun 240z but with 2 kids that was not going to happen - and he did not like the newly released 2+2 versions so he purchased a 1973 Mitsubishi GTO GS-R new in early 74.

Anyway I used to own and race a 240z auto (to begin with) in the late 90's then more recently did some classic trails about 3-4 years back with my 240z I had at the time. I recently picked up unfinished race/targa car project - a 1973 (sold new in NZ Jan 74) Datsun 260z 2 seater.

I have like most kiwi's I guess loved the F5000's and Muscles cars. So that is what lead me to this forum. Then learning about the Under 3L grid I thought excellent I place my newly acquired unfinished project might be able to race. I have some changes to do to the car fit T&C rules (the PO was building the car as a road car with Targa in mind - so it currently has a later model engine between the struts - but that is coming out and one of my original Datsun/Nissan L26/28 will replace it). Other than this engine - easy fix - issue the car is all steel with all bright work waiting to go back on the car - so will fit nicely in T&C rules.

Anyway that is enough from me - I have a car to work on and $$ to save for entry fees once the zed is sorted.

Pic of the car when I got it home from the workshop it was found in.
    Last edited by nzeder; 05-04-2012 at 04:17 AM.