Thread: Interserie 1971 Imola

World Champion

Interserie 1971 Imola

Can-Am type cars in European championship in the rain.
    Also Italian touring cars and single seaters Imola 1971. Filmed by Roy Pagliacci

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68KAa9hF8EU

World Champion
    Part 2

Semi-Pro Racer
    Bryan, As the owner of a Fiat Abarth 695ss (700cc 90 mph twin cylinder Bambina) I enjoyed those Fiat 500s at the begining. Great Stuff. Graeme

World Champion
    Cheers Graeme, there are more of them on this footage about the 3 minute mark
    Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    Bryan, As the owner of a Fiat Abarth 695ss (700cc 90 mph twin cylinder Bambina) I enjoyed those Fiat 500s at the begining. Great Stuff. Graeme

Semi-Pro Racer
    Many thanks.The black no 145 even has the same Campagnolo wheels as mine.

World Champion

Thanks heaps for posting these Bry, they're just awesome! The saloon races are fantastic and fraught with drama. I have a real interest in the Interserie, because of my interest in the Can-Am. The Interserie ran from 1970 - 75. It was created because of the massive success of the Can-Am in the US, and so an attempt was made for a similar European series.

But of course it was nowhere near as successful as the Can-Am, and the prize money was pretty light by comparison. An example was provided in an old Classic & Sports Car article, in which Leo Kinnunen won the championship in 1971. His total prize money for winning that season was half what his car cost to buy! Compare that to the massive prize money dished out in the Can-Am. The future of McLaren Racing was basically founded on its earnings from Can-Am.

The Interserie was won by a Porsche driver every year, being Jurgen Neuhaus (1970), Kinnunen (1971-73), Herbie Muller (1974-75). The arrival of the Porsche 917-10 pretty much made it a one-horse race. But still plenty of interesting cars, including one of the BRM P154s which raced in the Can-Am in 1970. Several old Interserie cars are still in Europe, including several of the McLarens, the BRM, and at least one of the Lola T222s, racing in the Supersport series.

World Champion
    I have a real soft spot for these cars as well Steve
    here is another film clip by Roy Pagliacci - this one from 1973

World Champion