Thread: NZ Cars - A Cottage Industry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Patrick, don't get me wrong, I admire what you are doing absolutely, but if you are using the list you have published I think you need to restate the position, that it has made it into mass production, or at least intended so.
    You have a number of "one off" cars, many of the de Joux cars being examples.
    Looking forward to the book.

No offence taken. I am very happy to be called to task as it will help the accuracy of the book. In the deJoux instance I was able to interview him about 5 months before he died and yes he did make a few one off cars. However with the cars I mentioned.

(de Joux) Buckler 1956 to 1962: About 6 cars were built
    De Joux Special 1961 to 63: Also know as the ferrari 2 were built.
    de Joux GT 1958 to 1960: 3 were built
    Mini de Joux 1969-1972: 20 cars were built

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Patrick, don't get me wrong, I admire what you are doing absolutely, but if you are using the list you have published I think you need to restate the position, that it has made it into mass production, or at least intended so.
    You have a number of "one off" cars, many of the de Joux cars being examples.
    Looking forward to the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick.Harlow View Post
    No offence taken. I am very happy to be called to task as it will help the accuracy of the book. In the deJoux instance I was able to interview him about 5 months before he died and yes he did make a few one off cars. However with the cars I mentioned.

The de Joux bodied Bucklers are well in excess of this number! In my possession is the upgraded Kelvin Brown book which lists the KNOWN ones, (and it does not have mine!) There were other bodies, but not many, on the Buckler chassis. Both NZ and english built chassis with a number of variants, ie Mk5/6, 90s, DD1, DD2, etc and quite a number of each. The real factory records were lost when Denis Marwood took over the company which later became Performance Developments. Kelvin, with Bruce Sutcliffe has collated much information. PM me if you want more detail. Reality would say, possibly the most prolific car before the Fraser/Chevron/T car/Leitch et al era
    As Trevor says above, please don't let your book fall into the same trap as another NZ book, ie well meaning but falling down on the details.

Always a risk to fall down on the details and you are quite right in that more than 6 deJoux bodies were built. Below is my final paragraph in that chapter which should shed more light.

"Half a dozen bodies were built by Ferris and his friend Jack Innwood, a photographer, in an old single garage just down the road from his father’s home. Ferris still had to keep up his day job as a window designer and he and Jack would work well into the night making bodies under the dim light provided by a Tilly Lamp. However Ferris preferred car styling to car production and the Mk 1 moulds and rights were later sold to Bruce Sutcliffe who made another dozen or so bodies.

Bibliography:
    Written with the help of Ferris de Joux, Kelvin Brown
    The cars of Ferris de Joux by Alan Dick: Classic Driver Issue 24 2008, Pgs 56 to 60
    Buckler History by Kelvin D. Brown: Chapters F and J "

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    The de Joux bodied Bucklers are well in excess of this number! In my possession is the upgraded Kelvin Brown book which lists the KNOWN ones, (and it does not have mine!) There were other bodies, but not many, on the Buckler chassis. Both NZ and english built chassis with a number of variants, ie Mk5/6, 90s, DD1, DD2, etc and quite a number of each. The real factory records were lost when Denis Marwood took over the company which later became Performance Developments. Kelvin, with Bruce Sutcliffe has collated much information. PM me if you want more detail. Reality would say, possibly the most prolific car before the Fraser/Chevron/T car/Leitch et al era
    As Trevor says above, please don't let your book fall into the same trap as another NZ book, ie well meaning but falling down on the details.

I have a solution. Call the book volume 1....

I'll never be able to get enought of this type of book and these types of cars. I want to read about the notable one-offs as well. The Maximum Mini book and blog are great examples of how to collect and publish this type of information.

Not a stupid idea. In my draft folders section their are another 30 odd cars awaiting further research e.g. Fraser; or currently in the too hard basket. e.g.Cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wilkinson View Post
    I have a solution. Call the book volume 1....

I'll never be able to get enought of this type of book and these types of cars. I want to read about the notable one-offs as well. The Maximum Mini book and blog are great examples of how to collect and publish this type of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick.Harlow View Post

De Joux Special 1961 to 63: Also know as the ferrari 2 were built.
    de Joux GT 1958 to 1960: 3 were built
    Mini de Joux 1969-1972: 20 cars were built
    Does anybody have any information on the 1 of the 3 Dejoux GTs that were built in the very early 60s?
    I know Ferris built: (feel free to correct me if I am wrong)
    The Holden Special of which there are pic's of this car here (now red with Holden V8 and sunroof)
    Name:  F deJoux- GT Holden based. 4 seater. Raced by Ferris who is standing in front of it.sm.JPG
Views: 2536
Size:  69.6 KB
    Vanguard Special - Which sold a couple of years back now in Nelson- (was in black and red oxide primer)
    Name:  de Joux.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  18.8 KB
    The 3rd car is what I am interested in and what the history was , does anyone have photos or any information about this machine?