Thread: NZ Cars - A Cottage Industry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    That is a very "beggared about with" car. Nice basic shape with no real period features left!
    Considering there wasn't much of the original car left when I purchased it. Only the body shell. No floor, no chassis & from the boot back missing. That is a pretty cheap comment.
    Last edited by Puma; 11-28-2019 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Considering there wasn't much of the original car left when I purchased it. Only the body shell. No floor, no chassis & from the boot back missing. That is a pretty cheap comment.
    Really? The original was Ford 10 based. Minilite type wheels are nothing like what it would, or could have had in period. The widened arches are nothing like what it had.
    A restorer has choices to make before they start, like original, or using the shell to create something "sort of new". If it was you Puma, who did the rebuild you made a choice, keep the shape and use newer components. That does almost automatically mean that you had almost no period components as per my comment, which even Patrick Harlow, the author agreed with.
    I have been working on a Buckler here in the UK, originally built by Allan Staniforth, author, and suspension guru. i have chosen to build it just as he did. That means rough, gutless and skinny Ford 10 wheels. It's as it was. I could have gone for crossflow Ford, or MX5, and more sophistication. That would have killed it's originality. Neither of us is right, nor wrong, but we must accept whatever others say.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Really? The original was Ford 10 based. Minilite type wheels are nothing like what it would, or could have had in period. The widened arches are nothing like what it had.
    A restorer has choices to make before they start, like original, or using the shell to create something "sort of new". If it was you Puma, who did the rebuild you made a choice, keep the shape and use newer components. That does almost automatically mean that you had almost no period components as per my comment, which even Patrick Harlow, the author agreed with.
    I have been working on a Buckler here in the UK, originally built by Allan Staniforth, author, and suspension guru. i have chosen to build it just as he did. That means rough, gutless and skinny Ford 10 wheels. It's as it was. I could have gone for crossflow Ford, or MX5, and more sophistication. That would have killed it's originality. Neither of us is right, nor wrong, but we must accept whatever others say.
    Actually the car original was on a space frame with Austin A35 running gear.
    I found all this out about the car after It had been built into what it is today. Original or not. Who cares. I built it to use & have fun with.
    If you really want to get technical it should have been on an Austin Seven chassis Considering the body was Ashley.