Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: NZ Cars - A Cottage Industry

I do have his contact details Ross if you want them. Cheers, Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Hollings View Post
    Met a guy at xmas that used to own this car in the 50/60,s tereabouts,ford 10 motor,interesting when he described it to me over a couple of beers he said it looked like a XK120 Jag......oh well !!!
    So what is the car learned friends ?????Name:  Ching.JPG
Views: 3754
Size:  15.0 KB
    Alan Watson of Auckland built the original Ching during the early 50s. Later starting with this body style he and three friends would mass produce a car, which is clearly an evolution, called the F10 special. (See NZ Cars – A Cottage Industry and previous page) Alan sold this car which was just called a special to Noel Ching of Nelson in 1955. It is believed that a further four or five cars were made by Noel over the next three years.

Unfortunately I was not able to unearth enough information to include it in my book but your car may be the third or fourth that is still in existence. Pretty amazing for such a rare car.
    Below I have attached pictures I have of others.
    Name:  Ching ford_special_1-08_a.jpg
Views: 4020
Size:  22.9 KBName:  John Wilson6.JPG
Views: 3817
Size:  53.2 KBName:  Doug Moody Ching Ford 10 Special 1.jpg
Views: 4359
Size:  143.3 KB

Hello Patrick,

I have been reading this informative thread and I'm interested in the Cantwell Puma and the Tiki as I believe that they both are derived from Ashley 750 bodyshells.

I have the built up the "Ashley Laminates Sports Car online Vehicle Registry and Vehicle Archive" website: http://ashleylaminatessportscar.weebly.com

One of the webpages features the "Cantwell Puma" that's in the USA and I am wondering if you have details on any others that may still exist in New Zealand or anywhere else and do you have any details about Frank Cantwell, the builder.

Also the Tiki appears to be constructed on the same bodyshell, maybe Ashley 750 or Falcon Mk1, do you have any details on this car other than what appears in this thread.

Have you come across any other Ashley cars, 750's, 1172's or Sportiva's whilst researching for your book, if so I would be very interested to hear about them.

Hope you can help me with some news about Ashley's in New Zealand, Thanks.

Name:  Ashley 1962.jpg
Views: 3758
Size:  130.5 KB

I am pretty sure that you are correct with the Puma and the Tiki being derived from the Falcon Mk1. After leaving Ashley Laminates Peter Pellandine took with him the Ashley that became the Falcon Mk1. When Peter moved to New Zealand I am pretty sure that he bought a Falcon Mk1 body with him to use to gain some capital to settle in New Zealand. I believe that Peter sold a mould to Tiki and at a later date Frank Cantwell got hold of one of these bodies and took a mould off it. However this is just rumour and I have no evidence to support it.

As far as other Ashleys go I have yet to come across one and the couple that I have I believe are derivatives of the Falcon Mk1. Still if I can help you out in anyway let me know.
    Last edited by Patrick.Harlow; 02-15-2014 at 06:51 AM.

Ching sports car

To my great surprise I have seen both the red and yellow Chings in person .
    I have been in the passengers seat for a ride in the yellow car in the late 70s early 80s
    I understand the grey primer pic may be a car that was or still is in Puke Auckland .
    I have had a ching since the midd 70s and still do .
    I didn't know about the Watson connection or how to tell one from Noels cars .
    Mine has a tubular chassis with Ford 10 cross members solid beam front no sign of the swing axle conversion .
    I have pics if anyone is interested and would very much like to hear from anyone who has info or cars .
    Many thanks
    Mark

Hi Mark, I have sent you a pm which you will find under notifications.

Cheers, Bruce

Can anybody help me with any information about this car. Apparently it is one of two. Possibly built on a Triumph Herald chassis.
    Name:  priestleys@xtra.co.nz020 (Small).JPG
Views: 3498
Size:  90.0 KB
    Name:  priestleys@xtra.co.nz022 (Small).JPG
Views: 3265
Size:  87.6 KB

Could it be this car? The shape of the windows certainly fit.

Name:  Vadis 1.JPG
Views: 3220
Size:  130.1 KB
    Name:  Vadis 2.JPG
Views: 2870
Size:  57.5 KB
    Last edited by Milan Fistonic; 03-01-2016 at 03:53 AM.

This looks a little like the Duzgo in post 185
    I wonder who copied who ?? Markson
    Name:  Trekka copy.jpg
Views: 2737
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  duzgo.jpg
Views: 3084
Size:  139.0 KB
    Last edited by markson; 03-02-2016 at 01:55 AM.

Anyone know what make this body shell is ???Markson

Name:  body shell.jpg
Views: 2624
Size:  17.8 KB

ching . sonata laboratories

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick.Harlow View Post
    Alan Watson of Auckland built the original Ching during the early 50s. Later starting with this body style he and three friends would mass produce a car, which is clearly an evolution, called the F10 special. (See NZ Cars – A Cottage Industry and previous page) Alan sold this car which was just called a special to Noel Ching of Nelson in 1955. It is believed that a further four or five cars were made by Noel over the next three years.

Unfortunately I was not able to unearth enough information to include it in my book but your car may be the third or fourth that is still in existence. Pretty amazing for such a rare car.
    Below I have attached pictures I have of others.
    Name:  Ching ford_special_1-08_a.jpg
Views: 4020
Size:  22.9 KBName:  John Wilson6.JPG
Views: 3817
Size:  53.2 KBName:  Doug Moody Ching Ford 10 Special 1.jpg
Views: 4359
Size:  143.3 KB
    attached is post from forgotten fibreglass about brian fords sonata car/s in chch . wondering if he has found this site or if this site knows of his cars .
    http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/f...comment-168747

Dunedin 1984 - a full view of a car and it's engines.

Have been advised by Ross Osborne from Dunedin who is a member of Austin Healey Car Club that this is a Furi - Jaguar powered. built by the Bennett Brothers ..

The Car
    Name:  Dunedin Festival 1984 #57  Special Sports - Jag powered !! CCI24112015_0002 (800x536).jpg
Views: 2385
Size:  137.9 KB

The engine - Supercharged Jaguar
    Name:  Dunedin Festival 1984 #58 Jag with Supercharger - the Special !! CCI24112015_0003 (800x539).jpg
Views: 2582
Size:  127.7 KB

Is anything else known about the vehicle above.??
    Also can someone enlighten me what this car is - from the programme of the 1984 Dunedin Street Races.
    The " Crowe Special " Race #76 Driver R Shand year 1960 and engine 3800 cc, so could be a Jaguar

Name:  Dunedin Festival 1984 #82 Programme Race 2 Sports Cars  -Annie Swain.jpg
Views: 2462
Size:  124.4 KB

An interesting article on the NZ car industry in the late 70's. The deJoux Mini GT, Steel Brothers S4 and Buckler all make an appearance.

Hi Paul
    Did you say somewhere on here you had a tiki car or part of ?
    I am interested in any and all information
    Cheers Joe

Hi Joe,

There was someone on here who had part of a Tiki but it wasn't me. My only connection is that I spotted one on the roof of a building in Lyttleton and posted it here although the Photobucket debacle has made the picture-link invalid. If you trawl back through this thread you should find them. Otherwise contact Patrick Harlow, he'll likely know.

Cheers,

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick.Harlow View Post
    No offence taken. I am very happy to be called to task as it will help the accuracy of the book. In the deJoux instance I was able to interview him about 5 months before he died and yes he did make a few one off cars. However with the cars I mentioned.

(de Joux) Buckler 1956 to 1962: About 6 cars were built
    De Joux Special 1961 to 63: Also know as the ferrari 2 were built.
    de Joux GT 1958 to 1960: 3 were built
    Mini de Joux 1969-1972: 20 cars were built
    Does anybody have any information on the 1 of the 3 Dejoux GTs that were built in the very early 60s?
    I know Ferris built: (feel free to correct me if I am wrong)
    The Holden Special of which there are pic's of this car here (now red with Holden V8 and sunroof)
    Name:  F deJoux- GT Holden based. 4 seater. Raced by Ferris who is standing in front of it.sm.JPG
Views: 2499
Size:  69.6 KB
    Vanguard Special - Which sold a couple of years back now in Nelson- (was in black and red oxide primer)
    Name:  de Joux.jpg
Views: 1910
Size:  18.8 KB
    The 3rd car is what I am interested in and what the history was , does anyone have photos or any information about this machine?

There was what looked to be a deJoux GT body being disposed of on the Facebook group 'Race Cars in Sheds' about six months ago. They were giving it away but someone had cut the roof off for kicks....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6261.../?query=dejoux

Thanks Paul,
    Its a shame these cars get chopped up
    Cheers

Name:  gp3.jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  78.6 KB
    My old Maran sold years ago....................wish I hadn't