Thread: NZ Cars - A Cottage Industry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    Pirhana (Napier)- a Lotus 7 clone. Originally started by Lance Bayliss. Sold to Stu Pykett. Lance also built a "one off" single seater of the same name with a big bike motor.
    Gulf (Takapuna)-yet another Lotus 7 thingy.
    Heron (Rotorua) Ross Baker
    MER- a line of about 6 racing cars
    Valour-racing cars only
    McQueen-Formula Vee racing cars

I know of the Pirhana and have lots of pictures but not the story. Lance Baylis of Napier is a possible avenue of investigation. Thanks.
    Name:  Pirana Saxby11.JPG
Views: 2311
Size:  178.4 KB

Know of the Gulf too and have a couple of pictures but was trying to find it in New Plymouth.

Thanks Also
    Name:  Gulf 7 Moult1.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  43.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    Pirhana (Napier)- a Lotus 7 clone. Originally started by Lance Bayliss. Sold to Stu Pykett. Lance also built a "one off" single seater of the same name with a big bike motor.
    Gulf (Takapuna)-yet another Lotus 7 thingy.
    Heron (Rotorua) Ross Baker
    MER- a line of about 6 racing cars
    Valour-racing cars only
    McQueen-Formula Vee racing cars

Have you included MER, Maramata Engineering built 5 or 6 single seat race cars and 3 sports cars in the late '60s. all except 1 had rear mounted Mini endines. I wrote a breif history a couple of years ago for Historic Racing Drvers Magazine, which I could send you if interested. The then owner of Matamata Engineering, Alan Pepper is still arround as well..

Quote Originally Posted by Ekwah View Post
    Have you included MER, Maramata Engineering built 5 or 6 single seat race cars and 3 sports cars in the late '60s. all except 1 had rear mounted Mini endines. I wrote a breif history a couple of years ago for Historic Racing Drvers Magazine, which I could send you if interested. The then owner of Matamata Engineering, Alan Pepper is still arround as well..
    No. I have never heard of this car and yes I am interested especially if the three sports cars were intended to be road legal as this is the focus on my book.

My book is now in its final draft so I am now doing all those little tidy up tasks before it goes to the publishers in February of next year. The aim is to have it on book shelves for Fathers Day and Christmas 2013.

Hi,
    A friend of mine owns serial #2 Cherub(Moke look-alike) and has the original rego papers showing one of the Eversons as the first owner. He never knew what it was until I sent him the information from this forum.

Regards
    Al
    Last edited by Alasdair Brass; 03-22-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdair Brass View Post
    Hi,
    A friend of mine owns serial #2 Cherub(Moke look-alike) and has the original rego papers showing one of the Eversons as the first owner. He never knew what it was until I sent him the information from this forum.

Regards
    Al
    That sounds amazing. The book went to the publishers two weeks ago with a very poor quality picture of the Cherub. If you can give me your friends contact details I will follow up as I don't think it is too late yet.