Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ Cars - A Cottage Industry

NZ Cars - A Cottage Industry

Greetings. I am in the process of just finishing a book on the history of New Zealand manufactured cars. It has been almost 10 years in writing/research stage and now it is almost ready to publish. For a car to get in the book it has to have been mass produced in New Zealand by a New Zealand manufacturer such as Fraser, Almac or deJoux. There is a chapter on the Trekka, our most well known car, and a chapter eachon the two cars attempted by Roly Crowther. What started as a relatively simple project of about 20 known cars now encompasses more than 80 and there are still some I have missed such as Ching or Cougar but I had to stop somewhere. In all instances I was able to either interview the cars creator or a person that had first hand experience in its production such as the Falcon or Jarvie.

I am hoping that somebody out there can help in the supply of some quality pictures that I can use in my book. Full credit will be given of course. So to test the water has anybody got any quality pictures of any cars built by Cliff Everson. I have plenty of his EMW but lack pictures of his Eagle, the Cherub and a 7 type car of which I have attached samples.Name:  R Gray- Everson Eagle 2 s.jpg
Views: 8098
Size:  117.1 KBName:  D Everson- Open Top s.jpg
Views: 7384
Size:  163.1 KBName:  D Everson- Everson Cherub. This picture was taken in June of 69 s.jpg
Views: 8087
Size:  135.5 KB

Greetings Patrick,

For a car to get in the book it has to have been mass produced in New Zealand by a New Zealand manufacturer such as Fraser, Almac or deJoux.

You have advised that your selection is limited to mass produced cars, whereas you have mentioned several which were one off prototypes. Please clarify exactly what is being covered.

It would be of considerable advantage it you could to list those already covered so that you can be sure of receiving all the information and pictures which are out there. Incidentally some fifteen or more years ago, I purchased a new in box, Subaru FF1 engine from Roly Crowther, which had been destined for his car, but was never used.

Wishing you all the best with your project,

Trevor.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Patrick, Congratulations on your first book which I have on my birthday list. I will look forward to another. I received an email in 2002 from a chap who said he owned an Everson 7 I can give you his contact off line. He did however offer the following information.

The Cliff Everson Lotus 7s

The ‘old’ 1500 motor went into the second of three Lotus 7 type cars that Cliff built in 1962. He had read an article about the Mallock U2s and had worked on a couple of Lotus 7's and the idea of a cheap, fast, fun road car that could be club raced looked good. So after a brief measure of the overall dimens¬ions, Cliff set to and built a basic jig for a car of his own design He thought that the Lotus chassis was rather too basic and wasn't all that keen on parts of its suspension, pedal assembly and sundry other items either.

For his cars the chassis were triangulated with the floor form¬mg a stressed member, and by rearranging the new suspension the cockpit ended up slightly wider and more roomy. While the overall outside dimensions were similar to the Lotus 7, the structure of the car was quite different, and by checking one of the completed cars, registered as Lotus 7 Replicas, on his chassis machine, it was found to have considerably more torsional rigidity while sacrific¬ing a weight gain of about only 301b. A worthwhile trade-off, Cliff figured.

The front suspension was a fabricated double wishbone set¬up with some anti-dive geometry built in and used Standard 10 drums on the first car and Triumph discs and uprights on the subsequent two.

Again the motors of the cars were specially built up from various Ford blocks and compon¬ents. At this point one could get carried away with all manner of interesting details about the cars design, con-struction etc, but as this is a brief resume I will just have to say that they went very well.

The third car was sold in com¬ponent form and all three are recognisable by a swage line that runs over their wheel arches. With a new home to get sorted out and a young family on the way, Cliff didn't keep his very long either, but made sure he thoroughly enjoyed it in the meantime, especially after sorting out its tendency toward too much initial understeer in the wet, and fine tuning the engine.

After that followed five Mini Moke type vehicles, two of which Cliff and Stan built together. The old Cherub name was re-adopted for them. All components, except the Mini mechanicals, hood and trim were built within their work¬shops, and as an added feature had opening side pontoons that could be used as tool boxes.

A small midget type car that Cliffs father Ernie built was on Trademe last year. That was the Everson Cherub

Graeme Banks

Semi-Pro Racer
    Patrick Recently Heartland TV reran a program called Sundays World from 1978 covering NZ cars. They covered The Carlton,Crowther Toiler Ute, Trekka, Terra (400 built) Anziel Nova, Rotarymotive (another Crowther attempt), De Joux, Magnum Spectre, Steel Bros Lotus, Buckler, and Eureka. As a Buckler owner I think that make warrants mention as very few came ito the country completely built up. The majority were built here. Graeme

Try checking with the Welington Kit Car Club

How about this DeJoux?

I shall try and track down that Heartland TV programme. All of the cars you mention Ihave researched and placed in my book apart from the Carlton which I could not find out enough about. The Anziel Nova was never made here. The buckler is in the book with the deJoux body. The Rotarynotive was going to go into a car called the Crowther Sedan which Roly Crowther made an excellent attempt to get into production and makes an interesting story.

Is this model the same as yours. If so it is pretty rare and is only one of three cars builtName:  F deJoux- 2seater GT Vanguard based s.JPG
Views: 9909
Size:  41.5 KB

Ok you asked for it. Hope it is not too boring. The cars covered are....
    Key
    ### = Some data but not enough to put it in my book
    !!! = Know absolutely nothing about it
    All others are fully researched and written up.

Acorn Marcie (1985), Acorn Schroeder (1986 to 1999), Alfa Vee (1987 to 1989), Almac 427SC (1982 to current), Almac Clubsprint (2002 to current), Almac Sabre (1994 to 2010), Almac TC/TG (1986 to 1991), Amero GT (1974 to 1977), Amero Corvette (1982 to 1995), Amero California (1993 to 1995), Alternative Cars Swallow(1993 to 2003), Alternative Cars T Car (1983 to current), ###Anziel Nova (Not produced in NZ), Asco Aura (1984 to 1988), Aspen Aurora (1976 to 1985), Aspen Siris (1988 to 1994), Auckland Cobra (1983 to current), ###Beatie, Briford Sports (1982 to current), !!! Carlton (1922-1928), Cheetah (1988 to 1990), Chevron Classic (1984 to 1987), Chevron Aprisa (1995 to 2005), Chevron Cypher (1996 to 2005), ###Ching, !!! Classic Car Developments (1992-present), Countess (1990 to 2008), ###Cougar, Crowther Sedan (1968 to 1970), Crowther Toiler (1976 to 1978), !!! Dennison (1900–1905), De Joux Buckler (1956 to 1962), De Joux Ferrari (1961 to 1963), De Joux GT (1958 to 1960), De Joux Mini (1969 to 1972), Dixon Saracen (1980 to 1993), DUZGO (1974 to 1979), ###ESC, Escartus (1978 to 1982), Everson 7 (1961 to 1963), Everson Cherub (1964 to 1969), Everson Eagle (1982 to 1983), Everson EMW 6 (1984 to 1989), F40 Silhouette (2003 to 2006), Falcon Shells (N.Z.) (1957 to 1960), Ferrari Daytona (1987 to 1989), France Dart (1965 to 1976), France Mercedes 500K (2000 to current), Fraser (1988 to current), Grahame Berry Lotus 7 replica (1994 to 2000), ###GT40 NZ, GT40 Replication (1987 to 2002), Heron MJ1 (1983 to 1985), Heron MJ2 (1987 to 2002), Hulme (2004 to current), Ibis (1987 to 1989), Jarvie (1956 to 1958), ###Jaguar XK120 replica, Lapponia Cars (1978 to 1983), ###JBA Falcon, ###Leitch, !!! Lindsay (1903?), Lynx (1985 to 1988), Magnum Spectre (1976), !!! Marlborough (1912–1922) thence Carlton, Manx Buggy (2004 to current), Mararn (1981 to 1997), Maserati (2003 to 2008), McGregor (2001 to current), McRae 550 Spyder (1989 to 1997), ###McRae Speedster , !!! Methven (1903), Mistral (1957 to 1964), Murtaya (2009 to current), Platinum Speedster (1999 to 2003), ###Parana, ###Puma, Purvis Eureka (1977 to 1988), RD Wasp, Replicar Developments. (1990 to 1994), Redline Performance (1999 to 2007), !!! Reid (1903-1906), Roberston Lotas (1988 to 1990), Robertson Panache (1989 to 1992), RWC Cobra (1995 to present), Sam Lyle Saluki (1981 to 1995), Sam Lyle SL (1999 t0 2003), Scorpion (1984 to 1986), Short Spyder (1990), ###Southern Raider, Steel Brothers Lotus Super 7 (1973 to 1978), Steel Brothers Lotus Super 907 (1978 to 1981), Taipan (1977 to 1990), ###Tachos Falcon, ?? ### Tiki, Tom Morland Detomaso Pantera (1983 to 1990), Tom Morland Corvette (1986 to 1990), Tom Morland Firebird (1986 to 1990), !!! Topliss (1904), !!! Trailmaker 1970s, Treka (1966 to 1973), Tron Trontach (1988 to 1997), Tron Mountach (1989 to 1997), Tull Saker Sprint (2000 to current), Tull Saker SVS (1989 to current), Tull Saker Sprint (1992 to 2001), Wilco 7 (1992 to 1996), !!! Wood (1901 to 1903)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Greetings Patrick,

For a car to get in the book it has to have been mass produced in New Zealand by a New Zealand manufacturer such as Fraser, Almac or deJoux.

You have advised that your selection is limited to mass produced cars, whereas you have mentioned several which were one off prototypes. Please clarify exactly what is being covered.

It would be of considerable advantage it you could to list those already covered so that you can be sure of receiving all the information and pictures which are out there. Incidentally some fifteen or more years ago, I purchased a new in box, Subaru FF1 engine from Roly Crowther, which had been destined for his car, but was never used.

Trevor.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick.Harlow View Post
    I shall try and track down that Heartland TV programme. All of the cars you mention Ihave researched and placed in my book apart from the Carlton which I could not find out enough about. The Anziel Nova was never made here. The buckler is in the book with the deJoux body. The Rotarynotive was going to go into a car called the Crowther Sedan which Roly Crowther made an excellent attempt to get into production and makes an interesting story.
    The Carlton was made around 1921 and in a short time they went bust. I understand the Gisborne branch of the Vintage Car Club have restored the only surviving example. They would know more about the company than anyone. gisborne@vcc.org.nz would get them.

HI Patrick I taped it the other night if needed give me a call am in the book under my real name ,dont think will be a lot of use hoping you are ok am in Tokoroa again

Hi Trevour.

All the cars mentioned either made it into mass production in some form or other apart from the Crowther Sedan and the Lappionia which did everything but make into mass production. For the purpose of this book apart from the two mentioned "mass production" means two or more with the intention of mass marketing it.

Most do not know of these cars. Hence a simple project turned into a massive project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    Greetings Patrick,

Trevor.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Patrick Surprised you cant get enough data on the Leitch for the book. Barry Leitch should not be hard to find in Invercargill. Not only did he produce a number of Lotus 7 type cars but also the Lotus 23 try b.leitch@es.co.nz
    Graeme

Patrick, I am surprised you say the Anziel was not made here. It certainly was, and was tested by Motorman (my Mum ordered one) and one of them is still seen occasionally on the road up here, still run by the Gibbs family!
    likewise you mention Tiki and Falcon, but have omitted the far more prolific Buckler.

You are quite correct that the Anziel was tested here. It was a car brought over from overseas but as best as I am aware no car was actually produced here. The Buckler was a chassis which had a range of different bodies and I have included its story as a deJoux Buckler. Which raises the old question of, is a car a chassis or a body? Was the Trekka a Skoda or was it a Trekka etc? Is the Lynx a 7 type car or is it a Triumph Herald? But I am not going to head down that road of thorns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Patrick, I am surprised you say the Anziel was not made here. It certainly was, and was tested by Motorman (my Mum ordered one) and one of them is still seen occasionally on the road up here, still run by the Gibbs family!
    likewise you mention Tiki and Falcon, but have omitted the far more prolific Buckler.
    Last edited by Patrick.Harlow; 05-08-2012 at 07:11 PM.

I knew when I published that list I would get into trouble. The main reason Leitch did not make it into my book was through lack of time to research it and due to its size which is now ballooning to around the 240 pages mark. There are already a lot of 7 manufacturers in the book.

However I never said that the current book would be my last book. I am a great fan of New Zealand made cars as is evident in the book I published last year called "Alternative Drivestyles" which was about blokes building cars in their sheds. A couple of Leitches featured in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    Patrick Surprised you cant get enough data on the Leitch for the book. Barry Leitch should not be hard to find in Invercargill. Not only did he produce a number of Lotus 7 type cars but also the Lotus 23 try b.leitch@es.co.nz
    Graeme
    Name:  2011 Cover s.jpg
Views: 7136
Size:  127.2 KB

Thanks. I have been in touch with him.

He is currently trying to dig out some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    Patrick, Congratulations on your first book which I have on my birthday list. I will look forward to another. I received an email in 2002 from a chap who said he owned an Everson 7 I can give you his contact off line. He did however offer the following information.

A small midget type car that Cliffs father Ernie built was on Trademe last year. That was the Everson Cherub

Graeme Banks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick.Harlow View Post
    Is this model the same as yours. If so it is pretty rare and is only one of three cars builtName:  F deJoux- 2seater GT Vanguard based s.JPG
Views: 9909
Size:  41.5 KB
    That's the one. It was owned by my brother back in the 60s. I recall that it had a Vauxhall engine, but the engine was running hot so my brother sold it. Great looking car and it you look at the panel work, there's no deflection, the sign of a master fibreglass craftsman.

I also recall that the seats were mounted on the floor so you sat with your legs pretty much straight out in front of you. It wasn't the most comfortable of cars.

Keven Lamb had one with a vangard mtr,he was a close friend of Ferris ,he also tuned Rod Coppins Jaguar based down the bottom of Mangerie by the water

Semi-Pro Racer
    Pirhana (Napier)- a Lotus 7 clone. Originally started by Lance Bayliss. Sold to Stu Pykett. Lance also built a "one off" single seater of the same name with a big bike motor.
    Gulf (Takapuna)-yet another Lotus 7 thingy.
    Heron (Rotorua) Ross Baker
    MER- a line of about 6 racing cars
    Valour-racing cars only
    McQueen-Formula Vee racing cars