Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ Cars - A Cottage Industry

This ad drove me crazy when I was a kid! Got one in the end...

Name:  maran.jpg
Views: 2428
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  maranblack.jpg
Views: 2369
Size:  48.3 KB

As with a lot of cars of this type, I never quite finished it as University needed to be paid for....

The Manta was enjoyed though...

That Manta is an interesting looking car. The front looks like it was styled on the McLaren M8B Can-Am, and the rear looks like it was styled on the Lola T163 Can-Am.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wilkinson View Post
    This ad drove me crazy when I was a kid! Got one in the end...

Name:  maran.jpg
Views: 2428
Size:  31.5 KB

Name:  maranblack.jpg
Views: 2369
Size:  48.3 KB
    I remember the first time I saw one of these, parked outside the little corner shop near where I lived. I was just a kid and my friend and I just stood there gawping, thinking this must have been fastest machine ever built. Then the owner jumped in, started it up, and the VW Beetle motor chugged into life, and I couldn't have been more disappointed! But boy, they are a pretty car.

Re Publication

Patrick,

Your book is a great project and is very much worthwhile. N. B. You will be creating a lasting historical record.

The idea of two additions, with the first in advance advising of a second, as has been wisely suggested, makes a great deal of logical sense. This provides the opportunity to amplify detail and if necessary correct any blues via the second addition. What is more from a commercial point of view, you should be able to bank on second addition sales equalling the first, as you will have created a captive market. Modern printing methods make this an ideal approach.

A word from one old and hopefully wise. When even a slight doubt exists, use terms such as, advice indicates that, it was reported in, as I understand it, etc. Definitive statements are not essential within such a publication and if you decide on two issues, you have the opportunity to carry forward further advice and detail, regarding an interest which has already been established e.g. under a heading "Addendum".

Having been there and done it, if you send me a PM I can give you some valuable tips regarding saving costs in respect of publication.Click on ----- http://ralphwatson.scienceontheweb.net/index.html ---- I trust that you have a good publication programme installed on your computer. Meantime don’t hurry the project, take your time, use the valuable information you are collecting here and get it right. Most important, enjoy what you are doing.

Sincerely, Trevor.
    Last edited by Trevor Sheffield; 05-09-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Recorded hot address

Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  Cougar 1.jpg
Views: 2457
Size:  156.0 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    I believe that Epiglas made a sports car body called the Sonata ( their company was Sonata Laboratories) but I have not come across one in years. Does anyone know of it. From memory it was like a Ching Ford with an A30 grill making it look a bit like a small C type Jag. Graeme

Semi-Pro Racer

C-Type Lookalike.

Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    I believe that Epiglas made a sports car body called the Sonata ( their company was Sonata Laboratories) but I have not come across one in years. Does anyone know of it. From memory it was like a Ching Ford with an A30 grill making it look a bit like a small C type Jag. Graeme

Would this be the body you had in mind? A picture from a Pukekohe Car Club hillclimb at Ararimu Road, Paparimu - 1965 I think. No idea who the driver was or what the car was named. A few years earlier many were just "Ford 10 Special"
    with heaven knows what chassis.

Sorry about photo quality, poor old wide-angle lens was struggling a bit at this distance!

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer
    Thanks Stu You must have a good index system to turn that up in a few minutes.

One use to take part in the relay events taccoc ran also was at Wellington street race

Semi-Pro Racer

De Joux or Vanguard Special IF 9144

Been away from the Internet in the wilds of the Kaipara for a couple of days and return to find this most interesting thread in full swing.

Here is an article from the long-since-defunct 'Auckland Star' of 4 May 1988 re the above.

The car seems to have had a long life on the road for a Special.

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GeebeeNZ View Post
    Thanks Stu You must have a good index system to turn that up in a few minutes.
    It's called a human brain! Almost 70 years old. Remembers this stuff quite well sometimes, but inclined to forget things my wife told or asked me yesterday. A common problem, I'm told.

Stu

Name:  19830403 028-14 Baypark.jpg
Views: 2200
Size:  39.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I remember the first time I saw one of these, parked outside the little corner shop near where I lived. I was just a kid and my friend and I just stood there gawping, thinking this must have been fastest machine ever built. Then the owner jumped in, started it up, and the VW Beetle motor chugged into life, and I couldn't have been more disappointed! But boy, they are a pretty car.
    This one would have sounded a little better, 2.0 litre Datsun powered running in the SCANZ series.
    Phil Martin - Baypark - Easter 1983

Yes I think I was there this day ,thought it a joke that this yellow car was starting on pole!!but it just cleared out....I think it may be the same car Tony Herbert rebuilt the Lotus chassis back into a single seater?

The Ching body was run as a Mistral by Wayne Sattler {Taranaki??} ,he did 2.16 in prac..at Manfield fastest car did 1.36 David Childs Buckler.races next day was on the Ohakia airfield 1982?

Apparently Rhubarb 2 wearing Rhubarb 5's Mararn body...

http://www.can-am-cars.com/productca...&idproduct=562

Name:  1974rhubarbb_1340_detail.jpg
Views: 2236
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  1974rhubarbaweb_2263_detail.jpg
Views: 2070
Size:  10.9 KB

Name:  1974rhubarbc_1487_general.jpg
Views: 2200
Size:  15.3 KB

I know of the Pirhana and have lots of pictures but not the story. Lance Baylis of Napier is a possible avenue of investigation. Thanks.
    Name:  Pirana Saxby11.JPG
Views: 2284
Size:  178.4 KB

Know of the Gulf too and have a couple of pictures but was trying to find it in New Plymouth.

Thanks Also
    Name:  Gulf 7 Moult1.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  43.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rf84 View Post
    Pirhana (Napier)- a Lotus 7 clone. Originally started by Lance Bayliss. Sold to Stu Pykett. Lance also built a "one off" single seater of the same name with a big bike motor.
    Gulf (Takapuna)-yet another Lotus 7 thingy.
    Heron (Rotorua) Ross Baker
    MER- a line of about 6 racing cars
    Valour-racing cars only
    McQueen-Formula Vee racing cars

Not a stupid idea. In my draft folders section their are another 30 odd cars awaiting further research e.g. Fraser; or currently in the too hard basket. e.g.Cougar

I have a solution. Call the book volume 1....

I'll never be able to get enought of this type of book and these types of cars. I want to read about the notable one-offs as well. The Maximum Mini book and blog are great examples of how to collect and publish this type of information.

As requested here a re pictures of the front and back of the deJoux GT. Ferris deJoux when I showed him this picture wanted to know who had butchered the back window. Originally it had a curved plastic rear screen. No idea what happened to the moulds though.

Name:  P Needham- Ferris never liked what had been done to the rear of this car.jpg
Views: 2257
Size:  46.1 KB
    Name:  R Gray .jpg
Views: 2222
Size:  91.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    ...I think I just Fell in Love!!!!!!!!!!!...No I'am sure I'am in love..just love the FC Holden head light surround/s,Patrick I'm another that will buy 'your' book,but only If you can tell me where in can get a body shell,...Shano, I totally agree with your comment ,body is 'Perfect',just love that 'up and over' on the front wheel arch,would like to see a 'rear shot' to see if they got that end as 'right' as the front is.......my only change would be the 'Bloody horrible 'slidding' sun roof......why do people buy an MGB/GT's and fit one of those atrocities,( go around a righthand cnr and your best girl gets a free shower while wearing her ''new' red dress,see how much fun that evening becomes,this 'IS' experience talking !!!),if you want a 'convertable,just buy an MGB!!!!!...........Patrick,thank you for opening this thread,never thought I would be 'lucky' enough to be in love in my 66th year, that lil Red car is Beautiful!!!!!.....I'm thinking 327 and muncie,Jag arse end, the 'chrome wires' can stay!!!....regards thunder427/Myles
    Last edited by Patrick.Harlow; 05-12-2012 at 02:13 AM.

Would you be interested in sharing those pictures with me?

My old blue bomb from years back..