Thread: NZ Cars - A Cottage Industry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Hollings View Post
    Met a guy at xmas that used to own this car in the 50/60,s tereabouts,ford 10 motor,interesting when he described it to me over a couple of beers he said it looked like a XK120 Jag......oh well !!!
    So what is the car learned friends ?????Name:  Ching.JPG
Views: 3777
Size:  15.0 KB
    Alan Watson of Auckland built the original Ching during the early 50s. Later starting with this body style he and three friends would mass produce a car, which is clearly an evolution, called the F10 special. (See NZ Cars – A Cottage Industry and previous page) Alan sold this car which was just called a special to Noel Ching of Nelson in 1955. It is believed that a further four or five cars were made by Noel over the next three years.

Unfortunately I was not able to unearth enough information to include it in my book but your car may be the third or fourth that is still in existence. Pretty amazing for such a rare car.
    Below I have attached pictures I have of others.
    Name:  Ching ford_special_1-08_a.jpg
Views: 4040
Size:  22.9 KBName:  John Wilson6.JPG
Views: 3837
Size:  53.2 KBName:  Doug Moody Ching Ford 10 Special 1.jpg
Views: 4379
Size:  143.3 KB

Ching sports car

To my great surprise I have seen both the red and yellow Chings in person .
    I have been in the passengers seat for a ride in the yellow car in the late 70s early 80s
    I understand the grey primer pic may be a car that was or still is in Puke Auckland .
    I have had a ching since the midd 70s and still do .
    I didn't know about the Watson connection or how to tell one from Noels cars .
    Mine has a tubular chassis with Ford 10 cross members solid beam front no sign of the swing axle conversion .
    I have pics if anyone is interested and would very much like to hear from anyone who has info or cars .
    Many thanks
    Mark

ching . sonata laboratories

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick.Harlow View Post
    Alan Watson of Auckland built the original Ching during the early 50s. Later starting with this body style he and three friends would mass produce a car, which is clearly an evolution, called the F10 special. (See NZ Cars – A Cottage Industry and previous page) Alan sold this car which was just called a special to Noel Ching of Nelson in 1955. It is believed that a further four or five cars were made by Noel over the next three years.

Unfortunately I was not able to unearth enough information to include it in my book but your car may be the third or fourth that is still in existence. Pretty amazing for such a rare car.
    Below I have attached pictures I have of others.
    Name:  Ching ford_special_1-08_a.jpg
Views: 4040
Size:  22.9 KBName:  John Wilson6.JPG
Views: 3837
Size:  53.2 KBName:  Doug Moody Ching Ford 10 Special 1.jpg
Views: 4379
Size:  143.3 KB
    attached is post from forgotten fibreglass about brian fords sonata car/s in chch . wondering if he has found this site or if this site knows of his cars .
    http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/f...comment-168747