Thread: NZ Cars - A Cottage Industry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    Name:  Cougar 1.jpg
Views: 2478
Size:  156.0 KB

I know of this car and strongly suspect that it is a copy of the Falcon made in Napier by Peter Pallandine while he was living in New Zealand. Two lots of moulds and about three cars were made. One set of moulds was taken back to the UK by Peter where he made couple of thousand more cars and the other was badly damaged in a factory fire.

I would be interested in hearong more about the Cougar if anybody can help me out?

Quote Originally Posted by markec View Post
    Name:  Cougar 1.jpg
Views: 2478
Size:  156.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick.Harlow View Post
    I know of this car and strongly suspect that it is a copy of the Falcon made in Napier by Peter Pallandine while he was living in New Zealand. Two lots of moulds and about three cars were made. One set of moulds was taken back to the UK by Peter where he made couple of thousand more cars and the other was badly damaged in a factory fire.

I would be interested in hearong more about the Cougar if anybody can help me out?
    J am not sure when PP came to NZ, it would be interesting to know as the Cougar is on the market according to the ad in pre $ days, and memory tells me it was pretty early. I thought he came here in around 63?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    J am not sure when PP came to NZ, it would be interesting to know as the Cougar is on the market according to the ad in pre $ days, and memory tells me it was pretty early. I thought he came here in around 63?
    Peter came to New Zealand for the first time around about 1957 and settled in Gisborne where the Falcon originated. I have attached a popular publicty photo that is quite well known around the world. But what is not known is that it was taken at Gisborne Airport. Peter Faulkner is sitting in the car and was one of three people that worked on the original buck. Peter Pallandine left New Zealand towards the end of the 50's to go back to England and then left England for Australia in 1962.

It is also possible that before he left for England he may have taken the car that would become the Tiki, an Ashly deriviative, down south but that is unconfirmed.

Name:  Peter Faulkner at the wheel of the Falcon.jpg
Views: 1959
Size:  12.2 KB
    Last edited by Patrick.Harlow; 05-12-2012 at 11:34 AM.