Thread: Quentin Toebes

World Champion

Quentin Toebes

Hi all. I have just been talking to Robin Greenland in Pokeno, and he tells me that Forum member Quentin Toebes is in the intensive care department of Waikato Hospital fighting for his life.
    He had been competing at the Taupo raceway in the weekend in his ex Brian Innes Cooper S, and at the end of the day had had a spa. Quentin has had a 'bung' leg since childhood, after he was knocked from his bike by a car, and it has always been liable to infection. Anyway it looks as though he has picked up some terrible lurgy from the spa which has ripped round his body at alarming speed. He was flown from Taupo to Waikato and apparently his heart stopped beating for some time, and had to have extended CPR. His prognosis last night at 9pm was not good.
    Will keep people up to date as I hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Hi all. I have just been talking to Robin Greenland in Pokeno, and he tells me that Forum member Quentin Toebes is in the intensive care department of Waikato Hospital fighting for his life.
    He had been competing at the Taupo raceway in the weekend in his ex Brian Innes Cooper S, and at the end of the day had had a spa. Quentin has had a 'bung' leg since childhood, after he was knocked from his bike by a car, and it has always been liable to infection. Anyway it looks as though he has picked up some terrible lurgy from the spa which has ripped round his body at alarming speed. He was flown from Taupo to Waikato and apparently his heart stopped beating for some time, and had to have extended CPR. His prognosis last night at 9pm was not good.
    Will keep people up to date as I hear more.
    That is terrible news - the second person I have been told about in such circumstances. A timely reminder to enjoy life to the full as none of us knows what is round the corner.

My heart literally goes out on this one ,having been in the same position myself ,I was lucky thankfully ,yes we don't know how fragile life is until its taken away ,the worst thing with these infections is you go from a normal situation to critical in real short order ,its quite frightening really when you sit down and think,my thoughts and feelings are with his family
    Last edited by bob homewood; 05-14-2012 at 08:41 AM.

World Champion
    I'm sorry to have to report, that Quentin Toebes has died today at Waikato Hospital. It was going to be touch and go, as his heart had apparently stopped for over 30 minutes yesterday, so even if he had come out of the coma his quality of life would have been very suspect. So, Ciao Quentin. I had some good dices with you on the track, you have taken your final Chequered Flag, and I will always think of you when I'm out in the Mini. We have lost one fierce competitor, and Mini enthusiast par extrordinaire.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    I'm sorry to have to report, that Quentin Toebes has died today at Waikato Hospital. It was going to be touch and go, as his heart had apparently stopped for over 30 minutes yesterday, so even if he had come out of the coma his quality of life would have been very suspect. So, Ciao Quentin. I had some good dices with you on the track, you have taken your final Chequered Flag, and I will always think of you when I'm out in the Mini. We have lost one fierce competitor, and Mini enthusiast par extrordinaire.
    WOW, very sad indeed Gerald, only meet Quentin a few times and a damn great guy!!

Regards to his family and friends, RIP

Dale M

Weekend Warrior
    Have just heard and am shocked and saddened to hear of Q's passing ...in the early 1990's Q (was his nickname) and Graeme came along to the Restoration Night Class at Wellington Polytech ....one of the most enthusiastic and positive people I have had the pleasure to work with ...I remember Quentins passion for motor racing was clear when his son Timo was born . Nine of us went out for dinner at the end of the year and we had a quick tally-up at Q's instigation to see how many cars we owned collectively and , much to Q's delight and amusement it was 67 !! but there was always room for one more Mini .Sincerest condolences to his family ...Q is someone I will always remember , respect and like and I wish I could have caught up with him one more time.

World Champion
    Tintech, I obviously didn't know Quentin as well as you, but he and I used to cross-swords from time to time on the race track. He was what I would describe as a 'fun' guy to be around. Nothing was too much trouble, and if things had gone wrong with the Mini, which they frequently did, there was no procrastinating, the car would be up on jacks, and torn to pieces in jig time. A real enthusiast, and a great ambassador for the Mini marque. I don't know what will happen to the Cooper S, but it wont be the same with someone else behind the wheel......they have got some big shoes to step into.

Quentins funeral will be held in the Wesley Church hall in Taranaki Street at 4pm on Wednesday 23rd May.

A great friend and an exeptional enthusiast who will be sorely missed by his family and friends - particularly from the classic car and Mini fraternity.

Graeme Farr