Thread: Ferris de Joux

Ferris de Joux

Just got this article today and thought I'd share.

I know he hated the name Ferraguar...

Thanks Paul, I lost all those articles in a domestic, now you have got them back for me!

Semi-Pro Racer

Mini plus rotary

Name:  rotary project a.jpg
Views: 2388
Size:  141.9 KBName:  Project Mini a.jpg
Views: 2426
Size:  145.6 KB

I met Ferris only once when I interviewed him for my book which I am writing, currently called, "NZ Cars a Cottage Industry". He showed me around his house. His driveway was lined with brick tiles and every third tile was a famous car marque such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bertone, Maserati, Riley, MG, Bently and Honda. I asked him how a Honda tile made it into his driveway and his reason was, "My wife owned a Honda Civic at the time." End of story.

Below I have added other cars that he made. The one offs.

deJoux was asked to improve the aerodynamics of a Fraser 7 so he did

Name:  deJoux was asked to improve the aerodynamics of a Fraser 7 so he did.JPG
Views: 2258
Size:  27.0 KB

The first car an Austin 7 special

Name:  F deJoux- Austin 7 special finished.JPG
Views: 2242
Size:  24.3 KB

One of his last cars was this pedalcar for his grandson

Name:  Grandsons Buggattie pedal car4.jpg
Views: 2262
Size:  96.3 KB

His Jaguar Special

Name:  Jag Special 11.JPG
Views: 2107
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  Jag Special.JPG
Views: 2143
Size:  18.5 KB

His MG Special at Ellerslie

Name:  MG Special at Ellerslie.JPG
Views: 2277
Size:  28.8 KB
    Last edited by Patrick.Harlow; 05-17-2012 at 05:23 AM.

[QUOTE=markec;14206]Name:  rotary project a.jpg
Views: 2388
Size:  141.9 KBQUOTE]

I tried to read the article but the text is too small. Any chance you can e-mail me a higher resolution picture as I am very interested in the car which is a Crowther Sedan. I took a picture of the car last year. See below.
    Name:  P Harlow- Crowther 6.JPG
Views: 2186
Size:  53.7 KB
    Last edited by Patrick.Harlow; 05-17-2012 at 05:22 AM.

The "grandson car" is still in much this state with a fairly well known restorer of a Roycroft car.

A couple more one off cars...

The Maserati special finished in 2002 is truely a beautiful car

Name:  The Maserati special finished in 2002 is truely a beautiful car.jpg
Views: 2490
Size:  26.0 KB

And his last car, another Ferrari. GTO styled car by Ferris de Joux. Moulds and chassis were for sale

Name:  Recent GTO styled car by Ferris de Joux. Moulds and chassis for sale.JPG
Views: 2751
Size:  22.9 KB

Those moulds with another of Ferris' friends.

[QUOTE=Paul Wilkinson;14187]Just got this article today and thought I'd share.

I know he hated the name Ferraguar...

I spotted this Ferrari/Jaguar De Joux on a used car lot in Auckland about 1966/7 or so and fell in love with it...it must have been in my price range of about 500 pounds as I returned to look at it several times but on this occaision my head ruled over my heart as I really needed a family car at the time....I don't think the Ferrari badges were on the car at that time or I would have realised that the chassis was Ferrari, it was only some 30 years later that I realised that it was an F1 chassis after I heard what became of the car (restored to a 1951 F1 and in the possesion of B.Ecclestone I belive) - the Jaguar part was obvious and I was aware that it was built by Ferris de Joux.
    It strongly resembled the Lancia Flaminia by Touring.....if anyone has any decent photos of this beautiful de Joux I would love to see them.....Allan

Weekend Warrior

de Joux Ferrari Jaguar at Pukekohe April 1964

Name:  Ferrari-Jaguar.jpg
Views: 4644
Size:  105.4 KB

While living in Auckland in the 60s and 70s I worked, for a time, at Galt Motors, previously Shiells and Galt. Ferris was a regular visitor and I once did a service on this car and test drove it. Not wanting to burst any bubbles but this was an ex gran prix car and certainly showed it .The gearbox was unsyncrhonized and straight cut, unbeliveably noisey. Not many people today could actually drive it. Despite the very large brakes, they filled the wheels completely, the pedal pressure was right over the top, but it sure was a good thing to look at and well built as all Ferris' work was. There was another of these bodies which was also Jaguar powered but only a 2.4 and it was owned by a fellow called Carl Aucot who also worked at Galt Motors while i was there.

Pictures below are of the second car as it looked in 2008. It had been hacked around a bit. The scond car was originally built by Clive Sandman.
    Saw these pictures on Trade Me.
    Hopefully somebody bought it and it is now back on its way to former glory. I think the car was in Lower Hutt at this time.

Name:  Clive Sandman Special.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  101.4 KBName:  deJoux maybe car parts 2.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  111.0 KBName:  Sandman Special. now a bunch of car parts.jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  121.3 KBName:  Second DeJoux Ferari Special. Car back Has been hacked around to make a primitive fastback. Ferr.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  80.6 KBName:  The body above was built by Clive Sandman of Sandman Engineering. It has come out of the origina.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  106.9 KB
    Name:  The second car. Originally built by Clive Sandman. After many years it is now showingits age and.JPG
Views: 1923
Size:  135.3 KB
    Last edited by Patrick.Harlow; 02-01-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Sorry the above post looked so sad that I had to add this one. From the Ferris deJoux collection.

Name:  F deJoux- Ferrari Special m.JPG
Views: 2379
Size:  39.8 KB