Thread: Cliff Bissett - Lotus 7 - Tasman Series Races

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cliff Bissett - Lotus 7 - Tasman Series Races

I'm trying to track down some history of a Lotus 7 (originally a 1959 Series 1) that I have just found out had a racing history presumably in the sports car races aligned to the Tasman Series.

The owner at that time (Cliff Bissett out of Christchurch) has told me that he bought the car from his brother Geoffrey but at that stage it wouldn't have looked much like a Series 1 car as it had a Ford engine with Webers, Cortina front hubs with disc brakes, larger fenders (so presumably much wider wheels) and was painted yellow with black fenders.

I'm not sure what season he raced it but he sold it in August 1975 and it was registered by him in 1974 (but may have had another plate in his ownership prior to this). He says he ran it at all the Tasman Series races at Teretonga, Renwick?, Pukekohe, Wigram, Ruapuna and Bay Park.

Cliff is still involved with race cars and has lived in California since 1981.

Does anyone have any knowledge or photos of this car?

Edit : On re-reading the message I got from Cliff he says he "went to" Teretonga, Renwick etc - maybe I'm wrongly assuming the car raced at these meetings - possibly he was a keen spectator?
    Last edited by RogerH; 05-17-2012 at 09:29 PM.