Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Sierra RS Cosworth/RS500

Ford Sierra RS Cosworth/RS500

Name:  rs500.jpg
Views: 12330
Size:  141.5 KB

Its interesting how we often remember the time and place, and what we were doing, the first time we set eyes on a significant car. For me, it was January 1987, I was on holiday with my family, we were visiting a Ford dealership, as my father likes to do on holiday, and I wandered up to the showroom and peered through the window. And right there, sat a sparkling new Ford Sierra RS Cosworth, in Moonstone Blue.

Anyone with even the remotest interest in motorsport in the mid-1980s knew about the new Sierra Cosworth Ford had developed for Group A Touring Car racing. At a time when turbo-charging in road cars was becoming very popular as a marketing tool, Ford went the whole-hog with the Cosworth. This was a car developed not to be a big seller on dealership showroom floors, but to homologate the Sierra for motor racing. The DOHC turbo-charged motor may have been one of the key ingredients that would set the Sierra for domination in Group A over the coming years, but it was a combination of the slippery curvaceous body work and that outrageous rear wing that were the subject of so much excitement on the cars release.

At a time when car design was still dominated by straight lines, where a designers favourite tool was a set-square, the Sierra, with its new jelly mold shape, was considered just a little too different for car buyers on its release in 1982, and took some time to gain acceptance. Remember, the Sierra was the replacement for the square-edged MkV Cortina! In 1986, when the Cosworth, which was built around the budget model 4-window Sierra hatch, was released, it was a revelation. Amazingly, it was 25 years ago I first saw that example in the Ford dealers showroom, yet, even today, the “flying rice bubble” still looks fresh and modern.

The Sierra Cosworth motor was based around the ubiquitous 1993cc Pinto block, onto which was fit a Cosworth designed DOHC alloy head. A Garrett T3 turbo-charger was added, along with Weber-Marelli computerised electronic fuel-injection. In standard form, this pushed the Sierra, with its low-drag body, to a top speed of just over 150mph, a staggering figure for what was, essentially, a modestly priced family hatch-back!

The Sierra Cosworth made its Group A race debut in early 1987. Examples were built up by racers in Britain, Europe, and Australia that year, but on the large, early showings were disappointing. Rudy Eggenberger, who’d raced the turbo-charged Volvo 240T in the 1985, and turbo-charged Sierra XR4 Ti in the 1986 ETCC, was really the first to grasp a balance of speed and reliability from the car, as he ran a team of beautiful black Texaco sponsored Cosworths in the 1987 World Touring Car Championship. Others really struggled.

The arrival of the RS500, of which only 500 cars were produced, addressed many of the original Cosworths issues, with the addition of a thicker walled cylinder block, and larger Garrett T31/T04 turbo-charger. Outwardly, the RS500 was distinguishable due to its additional front spoiler, larger front openings, and small lips added to the rear wing and deck lid. The RS500 was homologated on 1 August, 1987.

The Eggenberger cars dominated race results in the WTCC as the season wore on, while others, such as Andy Rouse, struggled. While often the measure of the Eggenberger cars on pace, Rouse rarely finished a race, having run the majority of WTCC races. He ran a limited campaign in the BTCC, where he fared much better. In Australia, Dick Johnson had a miserable season, with his two cars struggling throughout, with a rare highlight being his race win in Round 5 of the ATCC. In fact, Johnsons win was the first for the Sierra Cosworth, anywhere in the world.

The Eggenberger cars initially won the 1987 WTCC, but later had their Bathurst results stripped, on the basis their front wheel arches were illegal, which demoted Eggenberger driver Klaus Ludwig from 1st, to 2nd in the championship, one point behind BMW M3 driver Roberto Ravaglia. Ford did, however, win the manufacturers championship.

By 1988, most teams had gained a good understanding of the RS500, and were tapping greater potential from it, and it was from 1988 that the Sierra became the dominant force in touring car racing everywhere. Rouse and Johnsons teams dominated their respective championship race results, although Rouse lost out on the BTCC to Frank Sytners class winning BMW M3. The WTCC was scrapped after just one season, so Eggenberger concentrated on the ETCC instead, although again the class system worked against them, despite dominating the races.

There were really three significant races held during the reign of the Sierra; Bathurst WTCC 1987, Calder WTCC 1987, Silverstone TT 1988. These are the only occasions where the Eggenberger, Rouse, and Johnson cars met. At Bathurst, Johnson had a miserable time, with his two cars qualifying 9th and 10th, but were both out of the race within three laps. In fact, Andrew Miedecke in his OXO Supercube sponsored car, had a very good run at Bathurst, battling at the front in the early laps, and proving by far the best of the Australian Sierras after a very quiet season. Rouse, who teamed with Allan Moffat for the Australian races, as Moffat was looking to race Rouse built cars in Australia, was fast in the race, taking it to the Eggenberger cars, but retired on lap 31 with transmission failure. Before their exclusion, the Texaco Sierras finished 1st and 2nd, and were comfortably ahead of Peter Brocks Holden Commodore.

At Calder, the Eggenberger cars qualified at the front, and Steve Soper/Pierre Dieudonne in the second car won the race after the #1 Ludwig/Niedzwiedz car was struck with driveline issues, but still finished 12th, and gained points for being the 5th car eligible for WTCC points. Again the DJR cars had a bad time, with Johnson not even making the top ten in qualifying, although the second car did well to qualify 4th. But this car retired on lap 25, while Johnsons car finished well down in 13th, seven laps behind Soper/Dieudonne. After qualifying 5th, the Rouse/Moffat car retired on lap 21 with head gasket failure, and this car was not seen again in the WTCC.

With Johnson having had such a miserable time, and feeling his team had not shown what they were truly capable of against the Northern Hemiphere teams, Johnson took his car to Silverstone in 1988, with new team mate John Bowe, who’d replaced Greg Hansford. This was the Tourist Trophy event, and the only time both the Rouse and Eggenberger cars would be racing together. With Johnson now dominating in Australia, and having had his special 9” diff homologated for the RS500, this would be the final time these three teams would meet.

In qualifying, the Johnson car dominated, while now Rouse was also faster than Eggenbergers cars. Although he qualified 4th, Rouse soon moved ahead of the Texaco cars, but was no match for the pace of Johnsons Australian Sierra, which comfortable drew away, and even when it was brought back to the pack during a Safety-Car period, quickly drove away again. But Johnson didn’t win. He was heavily delayed with water-pump failure, and finished eight laps down on the winning Rouse Sierra, but he’d proven his point. Sadly, these three teams never met again.

The Sierra RS500 became the only real option for teams wanting to compete in Touring Car racing, and the success of Eggenberger, Rouse, and Johnson in their respective championships prompted a flourish of orders to build customer cars. But several teams and drivers went on to enjoy success of some sort driving RS500s in their respective championships over the next few seasons, and Group A grids were heavily populated in favour of the Sierra, no matter where it raced.

In many ways, the dominance of the RS500 brought about the downfall of Group A. Races became processional and predictable, and a far cry from the excitement and broad manufacturer involvement of 1985 and 1986. But as a race car, and as a road car, the Sierra RS Cosworth and RS500 was truly a special machine.

Ford Sierra RS500

They were great cars and we had a chance to see them in operation here in NZ. We might be a small country, but we have several of the original RS500's here including at least one Eggenberger car still in period colour scheme.

Robbie Francevic was really impressive in the Wolf Racing built RS500. He was a top contender at Bathurst in 1990 teamed with Gianfranco Brancatelli, and this pair were also very quick at the Wellington Street race, leading the race until Branca collided with Chris Lambdens Commodore while lapping him and the Sierra was out. The fiery Italian Brancatelli then had a major meltdown on national tv!

Name:  IMG_0148.jpg
Views: 11734
Size:  173.3 KB

The dominance of the RS500 in Australia was at its peak in 1989 and 1990. At Bathurst in '89, 9 of the 10 cars in the Top Ten shootout were Sierras, and the following year it was 8 out of the 10. Of course, in 1990, all the Sierra teams charged off and battled hard for the lead, and all wore each other out, leaving Win Percy and Allan Grice to take the win in the highly un-fancied Holden Commodore. That was the first Bathurst win for the newly formed Holden Racing Team!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

With Johnson having had such a miserable time, and feeling his team had not shown what they were truly capable of against the Northern Hemiphere teams, Johnson took his car to Silverstone in 1988, with new team mate John Bowe, who’d replaced Greg Hansford. This was the Tourist Trophy event, and the only time both the Rouse and Eggenberger cars would be racing together. With Johnson now dominating in Australia, and having had his special 9” diff homologated for the RS500, this would be the final time these three teams would meet.

In qualifying, the Johnson car dominated, while now Rouse was also faster than Eggenbergers cars. Although he qualified 4th, Rouse soon moved ahead of the Texaco cars, but was no match for the pace of Johnsons Australian Sierra, which comfortable drew away, and even when it was brought back to the pack during a Safety-Car period, quickly drove away again. But Johnson didn’t win. He was heavily delayed with water-pump failure, and finished eight laps down on the winning Rouse Sierra, but he’d proven his point. Sadly, these three teams never met again.
    I heard an interesting story a couple of years ago about this race, from an ex-Johnson team member. The Johnson car was very fast at the TT, and to the casual observer this looked to be due to having a lot more straightline power than the other competitors. The car did not actually have any "vapour lock" problems, as was claimed, nor any other problem for that matter! It was strategically "withdrawn" from the race, the team claiming "vapour lock" as the issue. The real reason was that the turbo exhaust housing had been cut open and ported extensively, and welded back together. This was said be worth as much as 50hp on these engines. If the car had won, it would have been subject to a check over by the scrutineers, and they may have discovered this "anomaly". The whole point of the exercise was to prove that he (Johnson) built the fastest 500's in the world, and by the time the car was withdrawn nobody was in doubt of that

Oh how I loved the RS500's - Here is a great quality 29 minute highlight clip of that 1988 Silverstone race. Do take the time to have a look;

And while I'm at it, here is a cracking duel between Andy Rouse and Steve Soper at Brands;

Here are a few RS Cosworth photos from the 1988 BTCC at Oulton Park, Good Friday, April 1st. Cold and damp, and I think the first round of that seasons championship.
    8 Jerry Mahoney

16 karl Jones

22 Andy Rouse

20. Graham Hathaway
    Last edited by pallmall; 05-22-2012 at 09:27 AM.

15 listerine car is Graham Goode, 14 mike Newman, 5 Tim Harvey.

The yellow car with "Soans" on the bonnet belonged to Graham Hathaway. I used to work for him a couple of years after this.

Thanks, small world, especially the motor sport world.

BMW Festival January 2012.

A RS 500

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Robbie Francevic was really impressive in the Wolf Racing built RS500. He was a top contender at Bathurst in 1990 teamed with Gianfranco Brancatelli, and this pair were also very quick at the Wellington Street race, leading the race until Branca collided with Chris Lambdens Commodore while lapping him and the Sierra was out. The fiery Italian Brancatelli then had a major meltdown on national tv!

Name:  IMG_0148.jpg
Views: 11734
Size:  173.3 KB
    A friend of mine purchased a new Texaco black RS500 whilst on an OE circa 87 , I spoke to him a couple of days ago regarding its welfare assuring me it was fine with 14000 miles on the dial . I recall removing the rusted front resonators from it years ago and road testing ( just to make sure it wasn,t too noisy ) possibly the most original example on our fair planet and the only one of these engines that has never had a teardown !

Thanks for posting up those fantastic photos pallmall!!!

Do you or anyone else know what's the current story with the ex Petch Whittakers RS500 - does Petch still own it? It still looks in very good condition - From memory the last time that car raced was in the 1992 Nissan Mobil Series with Greg Murphy & Kayne Scott -which they won I think.

The Ex Kevin Waldock Playscape example in the hands of Brett Stevens ?

Quote Originally Posted by superford View Post
    Thanks for posting up those fantastic photos pallmall!!!

Do you or anyone else know what's the current story with the ex Petch Whittakers RS500 - does Petch still own it? It still looks in very good condition - From memory the last time that car raced was in the 1992 Nissan Mobil Series with Greg Murphy & Kayne Scott -which they won I think.
    Mark sold the car a couple of years ago to Andy Greenslade in Tauranga, who ran it at the BMW Festival at HD earlier this year, the first race since the NM500 1992! It is basically as it last raced, and unrestored. As you correctly stated, Kayne Scott and Greg Murphy did drive the car in 1992, but it did not win. I think top 6 placings in both Wellington and Puke was as good as it got.

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    Mark sold the car a couple of years ago to Andy Greenslade in Tauranga, who ran it at the BMW Festival at HD earlier this year, the first race since the NM500 1992! It is basically as it last raced, and unrestored. As you correctly stated, Kayne Scott and Greg Murphy did drive the car in 1992, but it did not win. I think top 6 placings in both Wellington and Puke was as good as it got.
    Thanks for that conrod - I've long wondered about that car. I'd so love to see footage of the Wellington race when Brancatelli stormed off and then had the big crash. Yes I knew Greg & Kayne hadn't actually placed all that well in each of the two races, but I have this vague recollection that everyone that did well in Wellington did lousy at Puke and thus the 'series' win went to Greg & Kayne. I do concede the years may have got the better of me.....

Does anyone know what ended up happening to the ex Brock RS500 that was purchased by Bruce Miles after the 1991 series? Was this the car that Peter Champion sought for his quite incredible collection of Brock cars? This car was another fantastic looker especially with the DJR wheels painted white.

Thanks for that conrod - I've long wondered about that car. I'd so love to see footage of the Wellington race when Brancatelli stormed off and then had the big crash. Yes I knew Greg & Kayne hadn't actually placed all that well in each of the two races, but I have this vague recollection that everyone that did well in Wellington did lousy at Puke and thus the 'series' win went to Greg & Kayne. I do concede the years may have got the better of me.....

Does anyone know what ended up happening to the ex Brock RS500 that was purchased by Bruce Miles after the 1991 series? Was this the car that Peter Champion sought for his quite incredible collection of Brock cars? This car was another fantastic looker especially with the DJR wheels painted white.
    At the 1992 race Paul Radisich was driving the DJR Sierra with a guy Michael Preston. They did quite well at Wellington, finishing second. They qualified second at Puke, and Radisich probably had a good shot at the win, except Preston was very slow, and pretty much killed their chances. They finished third I think, behind Brock/Cros and the winning M3 of Pirro/Winkelhock. This was enough to give them the series win. The Schnitzer car of Pirro/Winkelhock had led Wellington most of the race, then blew an engine, handing the win to Longhurst/Morris. Then Longhurst/Morris were looking good for the series win, lying secoond at Puke, and their engine blew with only 6 laps to go.

The Brancatelli crash was 1990 I think? The ex Brock car you are talking about ended up back in England I think,and was changed back to its original Rouse colours.

Conrad
    Last edited by conrod; 05-22-2012 at 11:07 AM.

I believe I have an old 1995 NZ Autocar magazine that has an ad of this car for sale.
    I think I was told it ended back in the UK repainted in its original Andy Rouse livery.