Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Sierra RS Cosworth/RS500

Great thread, Im loving the old pics.

The Sierra was the car that got me interested in motorsport. It was in the early 90's There was a Shell service station next door to my primary school. I remember one of Dick Johnsons Sierras being parked out the front as a promo before a race at Oran Park.

That memory has stuck with me & I have been a fan of the Sierra & blue oval ever since.

I don't have any old photos of them back in the day, but here are a couple taken in the last couple of weeks on some car club cruises with the RSOC Australia.

Ok not the real deal, but still a genuine RS500.

Another from last weekends cruise to Bathurst

[

Really neat photos there Neale, nice work. The photo on Conrod at Bathurst, were you both moving here, or did you stop to get the shot?

Quote Originally Posted by superford View Post
    The Bagnall car within the Meidecke Motorsport prior to Bathurst 89; Photo credit unknown;

So what was the relationship between these three teams that required this photo? It looks like a team photo? I knew the Meidecke and Bagnall cars had teamed up, but had Waldock joined them also?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Really neat photos there Neale, nice work. The photo on Conrod at Bathurst, were you both moving here, or did you stop to get the shot?
    Thanks Steve, I was standing in the middle of the road while he was driving at me, lucky the speed limit is only 60kph down there at this time of year

So what was the relationship between these three teams that required this photo? It looks like a team photo? I knew the Meidecke and Bagnall cars had teamed up, but had Waldock joined them also?
    Bagnall and Meidecke had been together throughout 88 and 89. Both cars ran under the OXO banner in 88, but this was fairly small in the support department. I was just watching a bit of the 1988 Bathurst race and both of these cars were out before lap 8... Meideckie had Steve Soper with him, and Bagnall had Pierre Dieudonne in his car.

Into 89, Meidecke got some good sponsorship together from Kenwood and like of Blast Dynamics and Motorcraft for a serious assault on the ATCC - it all went bad at Lakeside with the big fire. The replacement car was quick and I think he had some solid results among some pretty good opposition, but at Bathurst when again teamed with Soper, he broke down on the first lap I think.

Anyway, to properly answer your question, I think the Waldock Sierra is there as they shared the Meidecke Motorsport faclities at the time.

Here are some more RS500 photos. Again, none are mine - I've just found them on the net over the years and saved them - Sharing them because they're great shots of awesome cars.

The REAL 1987 Bathurst Winner - taken at the WTCC round at the Calder Park Thunderdome;

The 1989 Spa 24 Hour Winner;

That day at the Silverstone TT in 1988:

Fantastic photos! I really loved the Eggenberger cars in the Bastos colours.

I really hated those clunky looking 7-spoke wheels many of the Aussie teams began fitting though. They never appealed to me for some reason.

Fantastic photos! I really loved the Eggenberger cars in the Bastos colours.

I really hated those clunky looking 7-spoke wheels many of the Aussie teams began fitting though. They never appealed to me for some reason.
    Same on the Bastos cars, all of them including the M3's in that livery looked great

I really LIKE those 7 spoke wheels!! The design mimicked the aftermarket 7 spoke alloy wheels Ford were selling at the time. DJR had them made, I believe to give better brake clearance than the BBS 3 piece wheels. Probably a stiffer design too. They have DJR cast in the front face.

Yes, it was on the DJR cars I saw them for the first time, and I think of all the cars I saw them on, I thought they looked best of the DJR cars, painted gold. I always preferred and loved the mesh BBS style wheels on the Sierra's, and the Wolf wheels. To me they just looked so much more exotic.

7 spoke DJRs look pretty good with fresh coat of paint. For the trainspotters there were 2 different castings of the DJR rims.

Quote Originally Posted by Haga View Post
    7 spoke DJRs look pretty good with fresh coat of paint. For the trainspotters there were 2 different castings of the DJR rims.
    NICE!! Are the wheels mag or ali? And what is the difference between the castings? Looks like really good brake clearance inside that rim.

More Bastos Eggenberger Sierra shots from 89 Spa;

Missed one other from 89

And then in 1990 - although this is a guess...

Didn't look quite as awesome as 89 with the extra Castrol logo and stripes...

Quote Originally Posted by superford View Post
    Bagnall and Meidecke had been together throughout 88 and 89. Both cars ran under the OXO banner in 88, but this was fairly small in the support department. I was just watching a bit of the 1988 Bathurst race and both of these cars were out before lap 8... Meideckie had Steve Soper with him, and Bagnall had Pierre Dieudonne in his car.

Into 89, Meidecke got some good sponsorship together from Kenwood and like of Blast Dynamics and Motorcraft for a serious assault on the ATCC - it all went bad at Lakeside with the big fire. The replacement car was quick and I think he had some solid results among some pretty good opposition, but at Bathurst when again teamed with Soper, he broke down on the first lap I think.

Anyway, to properly answer your question, I think the Waldock Sierra is there as they shared the Meidecke Motorsport faclities at the time.
    Kevin Waldock I believed owned Blast Dynamics - he had plans to let off heaps of explosions at various race meetings (shades of Gelignite Jack!) but I'm not sure whether he actually got the chance to...

Speaking of RS500's...
    I recall back in the 90's a prominant NZ motorsport personality owed a RS500, and a motor dealer arranged a meeting with him to purchase the car.
    However said dealer "kidnapped" motorsport personality, and threatened him with I believe, a syringe.
    Dealer got jailed, an accomplice however was found not guilty.
    Although I'm not mentioning any names, the "Motorsport Personality" has been involved at top level motorsport in recent years.
    I am not mentioning this to slur anyone's name or reputations, I have no axes to grind. It was common knowledge at the time it happened however.