Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Sierra RS Cosworth/RS500

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    Mark sold the car a couple of years ago to Andy Greenslade in Tauranga, who ran it at the BMW Festival at HD earlier this year, the first race since the NM500 1992! It is basically as it last raced, and unrestored. As you correctly stated, Kayne Scott and Greg Murphy did drive the car in 1992, but it did not win. I think top 6 placings in both Wellington and Puke was as good as it got.
    Thanks for that conrod - I've long wondered about that car. I'd so love to see footage of the Wellington race when Brancatelli stormed off and then had the big crash. Yes I knew Greg & Kayne hadn't actually placed all that well in each of the two races, but I have this vague recollection that everyone that did well in Wellington did lousy at Puke and thus the 'series' win went to Greg & Kayne. I do concede the years may have got the better of me.....

Does anyone know what ended up happening to the ex Brock RS500 that was purchased by Bruce Miles after the 1991 series? Was this the car that Peter Champion sought for his quite incredible collection of Brock cars? This car was another fantastic looker especially with the DJR wheels painted white.

Quote Originally Posted by superford View Post
    Thanks for that conrod - I've long wondered about that car. I'd so love to see footage of the Wellington race when Brancatelli stormed off and then had the big crash. Yes I knew Greg & Kayne hadn't actually placed all that well in each of the two races, but I have this vague recollection that everyone that did well in Wellington did lousy at Puke and thus the 'series' win went to Greg & Kayne. I do concede the years may have got the better of me.....

Does anyone know what ended up happening to the ex Brock RS500 that was purchased by Bruce Miles after the 1991 series? Was this the car that Peter Champion sought for his quite incredible collection of Brock cars? This car was another fantastic looker especially with the DJR wheels painted white.
    At the 1992 race Paul Radisich was driving the DJR Sierra with a guy Michael Preston. They did quite well at Wellington, finishing second. They qualified second at Puke, and Radisich probably had a good shot at the win, except Preston was very slow, and pretty much killed their chances. They finished third I think, behind Brock/Cros and the winning M3 of Pirro/Winkelhock. This was enough to give them the series win. The Schnitzer car of Pirro/Winkelhock had led Wellington most of the race, then blew an engine, handing the win to Longhurst/Morris. Then Longhurst/Morris were looking good for the series win, lying secoond at Puke, and their engine blew with only 6 laps to go.

The Brancatelli crash was 1990 I think? The ex Brock car you are talking about ended up back in England I think,and was changed back to its original Rouse colours.

Conrad
    Last edited by conrod; 05-22-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superford View Post

I believe I have an old 1995 NZ Autocar magazine that has an ad of this car for sale.
    I think I was told it ended back in the UK repainted in its original Andy Rouse livery.

Looking for something else and came across this shot of the Peanut Slab Sierra at Pukekohe.

Name:  Sierra Peanut Slab.JPG
Views: 2081
Size:  36.0 KB

The Brock Cosworth for sale in the Feb 1995 issue of Autocar:

I would hate to think what its worth now.

Quote Originally Posted by RSZWEI View Post
    The Brock Cosworth for sale in the Feb 1995 issue of Autocar:

I would hate to think what its worth now.
    I know the guy who bought it and took it to the UK (he is a Kiwi who was living in UK) It was for sale for ages, and I think he paid a lot less than asking price! I can remember good RS500's being sold for around the £20K mark in the UK in the early nineties. The E30 M3's were a similar proposition. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

Conrad

Thanks for all that great info Conrad - much appreciated. I've attached a few other shots of the discussed cars;

The Whittakers Car;

I've also wondered what happened to the Andrew Bagnall Cossy; Anyone know?

Andrew Bagnall and Graeme Crosby 1989 RS500 Group A car with Gullivers Travel / TV3 / Wynns sponsorship built by Ross Stone at Meidecke Motorsport found . I have this car in Aust , it was sold as a shell with parts by Meidecke and converted to a PRC rally car. It is being returned to gp A spec. Do you have any of its history ? Ronal wheels required . Neville 0412676734
    Last edited by 501racer; 08-30-2014 at 05:03 AM.

I hadn't realised that Brocks car was the 1988 Rouse car. I always just assumed it was a Rouse customer car. In fact, Brock had at least two Cosworths, and possibly even three. He ran two cars in both 1989 and '90. Must have been depressing to then end up back in a Commodore in 1991. The reasons given for the switch at the time were the costs of running the Sierras.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I hadn't realised that Brocks car was the 1988 Rouse car. I always just assumed it was a Rouse customer car. In fact, Brock had at least two Cosworths, and possibly even three. He ran two cars in both 1989 and '90. Must have been depressing to then end up back in a Commodore in 1991. The reasons given for the switch at the time were the costs of running the Sierras.
    I think he may have had 3.
    I for one loved Brock back in a Commodore. The VN sounded amazing reving to 9,000RPM, and his Bathurst Top Ten shoot out lap was spectacular (if a setup cock up).

I dont think Brock ever ran a Ford sticker on his Cosworths.

I don't think there would have been a single person sad to see Brock return to Holden, but it must have been difficult for him to do, given how competitive the Sierras were, even with CAMS introducing a series of handicaps to try and stifle their performance.

So I take it then all the Brock Sierras were Rouse cars? Can anyone confirm what the histories of his othe cars were prior to his ownership? Were they ex-Rouse race cars, or brand new customer cars?

I think there is quite a large thread about the RS500 and their histories on the TNF forum. Short of attempting to unearh my great stack of Autosport magazines from the back of my storage container I can't really add any more to the photos I posted. Certainly some of the UK cars were run on minimal budgets compared to the factory supported teams, much more so in the following seasons. There were also a large number of Sierra Cosworths being run in the production saloon races in the UK at the same time.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Borrowed from the Passionford website which has a fairly comprehensive listing of what Sierra chassis was built by whom;
    North Yorkshire RS Spares
    10K+ Poster!!

Info given to me By Andy Lloyd , owner of DJR 1

DICK JOHNSON SIERRA’S HISTORY

Dick Johnson Racing built 6 Sierras. The first 2 were built for the start of the 87 ATCC.

DJR 1 a RHD car driven by Dick Johnson.

DJR 2 a LHD car driven by Gregg Hansford.

For the Sandown 500, Bathurst 1000, Calder 500 and Wellington 500 Johnson and Hansford were paired in the DJR 1 car with Neville Crichton and Charlie O'Brien in DJR 2 at the Australian rounds and Crichton and team manager Neal Lowe at Wellington. Although following the failure of their own car before the race Johnson and Hansford ended up sharing DJR 2 with Crichton at Sandown. DJR 2 wasn't raced by DJR after 87 and was sold at some point to Robb Gravett.

DJR 1 was raced by John Bowe in the 88 ATCC and by John Smith and Alfie Costanzo at the Sandown 500. The pair were due to share the car at Bathurst, but following the early demise of the other 2 cars, Bowe and Johnson commandeered the car from Smith after the 1st stint and the car eventually finished, second. It too was then sold to Robb Gravett.

DJR3 was built up for Johnson at the beginning of 88. After winning the ATCC this car was air freighted over to the UK for Johnson and Bowe to race at the Silverstone TT. It was then freighted back for Bathurst appearing as the # 28 Robb Gravett / Neville Crichton car, although it was driven off the line by Bowe but died during the 1st stint.

DJR 4 was debuted at the 88 Sandown 500 by Johnson and Bowe who again raced it at Bathurst. For the 89 ATCC DJR3 was raced by Bowe, DJR4 by Johnson.

DJR 5 was debuted at the 89 Sandown 500 by Johnson and Bowe who also it used at Bathurst. DJR4 was raced by Jeff Allam and Gravett. For the 90 ATCC DJR 4 was raced by Bowe and DJR 5 by Johnson. DJR 3 was sold to Ray Lintott and raced in the 90 ATCC in Valvoline colours as # 12.

DJR 6 was debuted at the 90 Sandown 500 by Johnson and Bowe who also raced it at Bathurst. DJR 5 was raced by Allam and Paul Radisich, while DJR 4 was the spare and used during the opening day of practice, being raced later that year at the Eastern Creek 500 and Wellington 500 by Johnson and Bowe.

Johnson stayed with DJR 5 for the 91 ATCC, while Bowe raced DJR 6 for the 1st few races while DJR 4 was refurbished. At Bathurst DJR entered all 3 of its Sierras, DJR 6 for Johnson and Bowe, DJR 5 for Radisich and Terry Shiel and DJR 4 which had been sold to Mark Petch, but as part of the agreement was run by DJR as # 19 with Kiwis Kayne Scott and Gregg Taylor. DJR 3 was also raced by Lintott and Tony Scott. DJR 4 was entered by Mark Petch Motorsport in the Wellington and Pukehoke 500s but driven by Johnson and Bowe.

For the 92 ATCC Bowe raced DJR 5 and Johnson DJR 6. For Sandown and Bathurst Johnson and Bowe teamed in DJR 5, with Shiel and Greg Crick racing DJR 6. The last DJR Sierra appearance was by Bowe at the Adelaide Grand Prix in DJR 5 in November 92.

As mentioned DJR 4 was sold to New Zealand and converted to a Sports Sedan, DJR 5 the 89 Bathurst winner and 90 and 92 runner up was retained by DJR and appeared on track at the Melbourne Grand Prix a year or two ago. One of the others was being raced as a Sports Sedan in Shell colours in the mid 90's.

Link to Forum here. http://passionford.com/forum/general...started-3.html

Semi-Pro Racer
    History of Aussie Sierras in this link;
    http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114111

ARE RSC 0188
    Andy Rouse's 1988 BTCC Kaliber RS500 - TT Winner sharing with Alain Ferte and sold onto Peter Brock for use in 1989 ATCC (TBC)
    NOTE: If this is Rouse's 88 Kaliber car then it is the car driven by Peter Brock for most of 1989 ATCC. However, it was not this car that was re-shelled, it was the other ex-Rouse Mobil Sierra that may have been re-shelled. This was the car Robb Gravett drove in 1988 in ICS colours; possibly Pete Hall's car from the year before?

3rd car was built here.

So what was the history of the Moffat cars then? I think they were Eggenberger cars? Moffat joined forces with Rouse in a couple of WTCC races in 1987, but this wasn't successful, and he then bought Eggenberger cars (or a single car to begin with?) in 1988. Were Moffats cars Eggenberger customer cars or ex-racing team cars?

So what was the history of the Moffat cars then? I think they were Eggenberger cars? Moffat joined forces with Rouse in a couple of WTCC races in 1987, but this wasn't successful, and he then bought Eggenberger cars (or a single car to begin with?) in 1988. Were Moffats cars Eggenberger customer cars or ex-racing team cars?
    The 1987 Bathurst and Calder ANZ RS500 was a Rouse car easily identified by being Right Hand Drive. The following year Moffat bought an Eggenberger car out and contested a handful of ATCC races, the Sandown 500 (shown below) and Bathurst. I've read somewhere talk that this first car was originally a Texaco car with some indicating the black roll cage as evidence although I don't think anyone has really confirmed this. For 89, 90, 91 and 92 Moffat ran two full spec Eggenberger customer cars. One of the two cars was said to have only have 4 entries in it's CAMS log book - 4 Bathursts in a row.

1987 Bathurst - Rouse car;

1988 Sandown 500;

I've stolen a quote from another forum from what appears to be the owner of the 1988 car:

Greetings from Down Under guys. I'm on the hunt for any pics from the 1989 Intertec Fuji 500. In particular pics of the winning RS500 - the Allan Moffat Racing ANZ Sierra #39. This car was the very first Eggenberger 'customer' chassis, raced as #9 in Australia with Klaus Niedzwiedz employed as lead driver at Bathurst in 1988.

The 1989 Fuji 500 is significant as it was Moffat's last race & was done on his 50th Birthday but little, if anything of the race was reported in oz. I'm fortunate to know Allan personally & he speaks fondly of this race, even explaining the choice of race #39 (born 1939) & that he always told himself he would not be "one of those 50 year old race drivers"........he stuck to his word & went out a winner!

I think this is that #9 car;

and this is the #10 car;

The #10 car has been doing laps as recently as the 2012 Melborne F1 support races. I don't think the #9 car has been out since the Group A days. The #9 Rouse ANZ car is also in Aussie and is regularly seen doing the Group A races at classic events.

That's about as much as I know - but I'm sure there are others out there that know a whole lot more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post

As mentioned DJR 4 was sold to New Zealand and converted to a Sports Sedan
    So did this car stay in NZ and become a sports sedan, or was it returned to Aus to become a sports sedan?

So did this car stay in NZ and become a sports sedan, or was it returned to Aus to become a sports sedan?
    Yeah im pretty sure that bits wrong. farily sure it was never a sports sedan, in this country at least