Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Sierra RS Cosworth/RS500

The Brock Cosworth for sale in the Feb 1995 issue of Autocar:

I would hate to think what its worth now.

Quote Originally Posted by RSZWEI View Post
    The Brock Cosworth for sale in the Feb 1995 issue of Autocar:

I would hate to think what its worth now.
    I know the guy who bought it and took it to the UK (he is a Kiwi who was living in UK) It was for sale for ages, and I think he paid a lot less than asking price! I can remember good RS500's being sold for around the £20K mark in the UK in the early nineties. The E30 M3's were a similar proposition. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?

Conrad

Thanks for all that great info Conrad - much appreciated. I've attached a few other shots of the discussed cars;

The Whittakers Car;

I've also wondered what happened to the Andrew Bagnall Cossy; Anyone know?

I hadn't realised that Brocks car was the 1988 Rouse car. I always just assumed it was a Rouse customer car. In fact, Brock had at least two Cosworths, and possibly even three. He ran two cars in both 1989 and '90. Must have been depressing to then end up back in a Commodore in 1991. The reasons given for the switch at the time were the costs of running the Sierras.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I hadn't realised that Brocks car was the 1988 Rouse car. I always just assumed it was a Rouse customer car. In fact, Brock had at least two Cosworths, and possibly even three. He ran two cars in both 1989 and '90. Must have been depressing to then end up back in a Commodore in 1991. The reasons given for the switch at the time were the costs of running the Sierras.
    I think he may have had 3.
    I for one loved Brock back in a Commodore. The VN sounded amazing reving to 9,000RPM, and his Bathurst Top Ten shoot out lap was spectacular (if a setup cock up).

I dont think Brock ever ran a Ford sticker on his Cosworths.

I don't think there would have been a single person sad to see Brock return to Holden, but it must have been difficult for him to do, given how competitive the Sierras were, even with CAMS introducing a series of handicaps to try and stifle their performance.

So I take it then all the Brock Sierras were Rouse cars? Can anyone confirm what the histories of his othe cars were prior to his ownership? Were they ex-Rouse race cars, or brand new customer cars?

Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    Here are a few RS Cosworth photos from the 1988 BTCC at Oulton Park, Good Friday, April 1st. Cold and damp, and I think the first round of that seasons championship.
    8 Jerry Mahoney

16 karl Jones

22 Andy Rouse

20. Graham Hathaway
    These photos are fantastic! Thanks for posting them Gavin. Several of the earlier privateer Sierras were far less developed than the front running cars, with teams running on much smaller budgets, but its really great to see these cars. Just out of interest, the Mahony car would be ex-Rouse???

I think there is quite a large thread about the RS500 and their histories on the TNF forum. Short of attempting to unearh my great stack of Autosport magazines from the back of my storage container I can't really add any more to the photos I posted. Certainly some of the UK cars were run on minimal budgets compared to the factory supported teams, much more so in the following seasons. There were also a large number of Sierra Cosworths being run in the production saloon races in the UK at the same time.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Borrowed from the Passionford website which has a fairly comprehensive listing of what Sierra chassis was built by whom;
    North Yorkshire RS Spares
    10K+ Poster!!

Info given to me By Andy Lloyd , owner of DJR 1

DICK JOHNSON SIERRA’S HISTORY

Dick Johnson Racing built 6 Sierras. The first 2 were built for the start of the 87 ATCC.

DJR 1 a RHD car driven by Dick Johnson.

DJR 2 a LHD car driven by Gregg Hansford.

For the Sandown 500, Bathurst 1000, Calder 500 and Wellington 500 Johnson and Hansford were paired in the DJR 1 car with Neville Crichton and Charlie O'Brien in DJR 2 at the Australian rounds and Crichton and team manager Neal Lowe at Wellington. Although following the failure of their own car before the race Johnson and Hansford ended up sharing DJR 2 with Crichton at Sandown. DJR 2 wasn't raced by DJR after 87 and was sold at some point to Robb Gravett.

DJR 1 was raced by John Bowe in the 88 ATCC and by John Smith and Alfie Costanzo at the Sandown 500. The pair were due to share the car at Bathurst, but following the early demise of the other 2 cars, Bowe and Johnson commandeered the car from Smith after the 1st stint and the car eventually finished, second. It too was then sold to Robb Gravett.

DJR3 was built up for Johnson at the beginning of 88. After winning the ATCC this car was air freighted over to the UK for Johnson and Bowe to race at the Silverstone TT. It was then freighted back for Bathurst appearing as the # 28 Robb Gravett / Neville Crichton car, although it was driven off the line by Bowe but died during the 1st stint.

DJR 4 was debuted at the 88 Sandown 500 by Johnson and Bowe who again raced it at Bathurst. For the 89 ATCC DJR3 was raced by Bowe, DJR4 by Johnson.

DJR 5 was debuted at the 89 Sandown 500 by Johnson and Bowe who also it used at Bathurst. DJR4 was raced by Jeff Allam and Gravett. For the 90 ATCC DJR 4 was raced by Bowe and DJR 5 by Johnson. DJR 3 was sold to Ray Lintott and raced in the 90 ATCC in Valvoline colours as # 12.

DJR 6 was debuted at the 90 Sandown 500 by Johnson and Bowe who also raced it at Bathurst. DJR 5 was raced by Allam and Paul Radisich, while DJR 4 was the spare and used during the opening day of practice, being raced later that year at the Eastern Creek 500 and Wellington 500 by Johnson and Bowe.

Johnson stayed with DJR 5 for the 91 ATCC, while Bowe raced DJR 6 for the 1st few races while DJR 4 was refurbished. At Bathurst DJR entered all 3 of its Sierras, DJR 6 for Johnson and Bowe, DJR 5 for Radisich and Terry Shiel and DJR 4 which had been sold to Mark Petch, but as part of the agreement was run by DJR as # 19 with Kiwis Kayne Scott and Gregg Taylor. DJR 3 was also raced by Lintott and Tony Scott. DJR 4 was entered by Mark Petch Motorsport in the Wellington and Pukehoke 500s but driven by Johnson and Bowe.

For the 92 ATCC Bowe raced DJR 5 and Johnson DJR 6. For Sandown and Bathurst Johnson and Bowe teamed in DJR 5, with Shiel and Greg Crick racing DJR 6. The last DJR Sierra appearance was by Bowe at the Adelaide Grand Prix in DJR 5 in November 92.

As mentioned DJR 4 was sold to New Zealand and converted to a Sports Sedan, DJR 5 the 89 Bathurst winner and 90 and 92 runner up was retained by DJR and appeared on track at the Melbourne Grand Prix a year or two ago. One of the others was being raced as a Sports Sedan in Shell colours in the mid 90's.

Link to Forum here. http://passionford.com/forum/general...started-3.html

Semi-Pro Racer
    Car in #20 is the ex DJR 1 car.

Semi-Pro Racer
    History of Aussie Sierras in this link;
    http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114111

ARE RSC 0188
    Andy Rouse's 1988 BTCC Kaliber RS500 - TT Winner sharing with Alain Ferte and sold onto Peter Brock for use in 1989 ATCC (TBC)
    NOTE: If this is Rouse's 88 Kaliber car then it is the car driven by Peter Brock for most of 1989 ATCC. However, it was not this car that was re-shelled, it was the other ex-Rouse Mobil Sierra that may have been re-shelled. This was the car Robb Gravett drove in 1988 in ICS colours; possibly Pete Hall's car from the year before?

3rd car was built here.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Car in #20 is the ex DJR 1 car.
    If you mean the yellow Graham Hathaway car, no its not. That was a a UK built car, but I don't know any other history of it. You will notice 4 stud wheels, the DJR cars were centrelock. That was Grahams first 500, he sold this car and bought the DJR car from Trakstar, I think it was the car Gravett won the 1990 BTCC in. I was working for Graham at this time. The DJR car had all of the Australian parts fitted, like the Harrop 9" rear axle, and was quite original apart from the paint job.

Conrad

Semi-Pro Racer
    Cheers Conrod. My mistake. I did not even notice the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post

As mentioned DJR 4 was sold to New Zealand and converted to a Sports Sedan
    So did this car stay in NZ and become a sports sedan, or was it returned to Aus to become a sports sedan?

So what was the history of the Moffat cars then? I think they were Eggenberger cars? Moffat joined forces with Rouse in a couple of WTCC races in 1987, but this wasn't successful, and he then bought Eggenberger cars (or a single car to begin with?) in 1988. Were Moffats cars Eggenberger customer cars or ex-racing team cars?

All of the DJR cars are accounted for.

The only car which is not in period spec is DJR2 which was converted to RHD (was originally LHD) and then turned into a rally car in UK. This car has recently resurfaced and is being restored.

From my dodgy memory:

DJR1 Andy Lloyd - UK
    DJR2 Ian Goff - UK (Under restoration)
    DJR3 Holmes Family
    DJR4 Bowden collection
    DJR5 Bowden collection
    DJR6 Chris Stillwell
    Promo car? in Tasmania Motoring Museum

I donot beleive the DJR4 sport sedan story is correct. As the photos of DJR4 show it to be very period looking.

If Chris/Dan Bowden are reading this they can probably confirm that they have #4 and history.
    Last edited by Haga; 09-10-2013 at 04:38 AM.

DJR2 Resto Thread:

http://passionford.com/forum/restora...s-started.html

Contacted Dan Bowden and he responded:

"We have 4 and 5. we bought it from NZ and it was never a sports sedan, it was as it finished racing there, still in the shell livery.. Its a pretty well know story! But it ran in the all comers series, but was not modified"
    Last edited by Haga; 05-25-2012 at 06:51 AM.