Thread: prizemoney

prizemoney

Hi all, I just read that montoya got 2.5 million for winning indy, in little under 3 hours, not a bad hourly rate, even the guys starting off the back row, and crashed out on the first lap got 200k!!.
    So, does montoya and co get to keep all there prizemoney, or does it all go to the team/owner/s.
    Would like to hear any prizemoney/winning stories, I know the toyota racing series puts up a car and 20k for the series winner, what sort of thing have you won through your careers fellas?

Quote Originally Posted by paul lancaster View Post
    Hi all, I just read that montoya got 2.5 million for winning indy, in little under 3 hours, not a bad hourly rate, even the guys starting off the back row, and crashed out on the first lap got 200k!!.
    So, does montoya and co get to keep all there prizemoney, or does it all go to the team/owner/s.
    Would like to hear any prizemoney/winning stories, I know the toyota racing series puts up a car and 20k for the series winner, what sort of thing have you won through your careers fellas?
    Graham McRae had his only start in the 500 in 1973, qualifying in 13th place, credited with 16th place and being awarded rookie of the year.
    When he was out here the following summer for the Tasman Series he gave a talk at the Wellington Car Club about his previous years racing including his experience at Indy. 1973 was, of course, a terrible race with all it's carnage and there was a lot of talk of measures to stop anything like it happening again. There was serious consideration being given to drastically reducing engine size and even to building chicanes on the straights.
    In reply to a question from the audience for his thoughts on the subject he gave an interesting answer. He said it was calculated that in terms of prize money, product endorsements and future drives, winning the race was worth somewhere in the region of 1 million US dollars. That was a colossal amount of money in those days and was, in GMs opinion, for an afternoons work, not unreasonable to put your life on the line for.

David Hunter

World Champion
    Perhaps the US government will arrest them for stealing if they try to leave the country !
    Juan Pablo Montoya...born in Columbia.. First..( $ 2,449,055 US)
    Will Power..born in Australia.. Second ( $ 792,555 US )
    Charlie Kimball..born in England.. Third ( $ 564,055 US )
    Scott Dixon..born in New Zealand.. Fourth. ( $ 615,805 ..extra money for leading most laps ..81 )

Hey Americans take their racing seriously over here !
    ( http://fox59.com/2015/05/26/franklin...ar-vs-indycar/ )

(Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-26-2015 at 10:02 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    I remember reading an interview with Jim Clark after he won in 1965. I cannot recall the $'s he got for first place but he stated in the interview that the thing that surprised him most were the 'incidental' prizes. The list was extensive but included 5 brand new cars and even five years supply of sausages! It was all "in the fine print" which he obviously hadn't read well-at that stage he was still being contacted on an almost daily basis to be asked where he wanted certain things delivered-things he didn't know he had won.

When SS2000 started in the early days, I managed to win $13.50 from the class sponsor...
    It paid for lunch!

World Champion
    Prize Money for the 1969 NZGP at Pukekohe. Jan. 4th 1969.

Name:  1969 NZGP Prize money_0001_NEW.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  182.3 KB

( Ken Hyndman )
    p.s.
    I need help explaining why the first NZ driver won 3 times as much as the international drivers or was
    there appearance money paid to them as well ?
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-27-2015 at 02:45 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The prizes of champagne brought a smile to my face. Many years ago a local cider maker decided to support our local car club with donations of their product. The stuff was so vile that it quickly became the practice to give the winner of an event one bottle of cider, two bottles for second and so on down the order.
    After the cider factory closed their premises were occupied by a paint manufacturer and it was rumored that they marketed the remaining cider as paint stripper.

In the halcyon days of motorsport (1960s) champagne was a popular prize. I seem to remember a lap record could bring 100 bottles.

World Champion
    I found this on NBC Sports from 2 years ago. Dario Franchitti's 2012 prize money was similar to this year.

TOTAL BUDGET
    Top F1 team: $470 million; Top IndyCar team: $15 million

This includes the following key areas of spending:

THE CAR
    Top F1 team: $125 million; Top IndyCar team: $3 million

The largest single cost for most F1 teams is the design, development and construction of a bespoke chassis. F1 teams must construct their own chassis and although the manufacturing costs of an F1 car are a relatively small $15 million per year, top teams can spend well over $100 million on research and development.

All IndyCar teams must buy their chassis from series provider Dallara. The price is $345,000 per chassis, but the purchase of aerodynamic packages designed for different circuits can add another $150,000-$200,000. A team typically gets through three chassis per driver each year.

THE ENGINES
    Top F1 team: $130 million; Top IndyCar team: $2 million

F1 manufacturers such as Ferrari and Mercedes spend more than $100 million annually on engine development. This is principally to supply their own teams, but they are required to also supply other teams with engines and typically charge $13 million per season to do so.

Honda and Chevrolet typically charge IndyCar teams around $1 million per year per driver for an engine package which will allow the use of eight engines.

TESTING
    Top F1 team: $15 million; Top IndyCar team: $1 million

Restrictions on F1 testing in recent years have seen budgets slashed from $35 million to $15 million annually in order to cut costs. This is still far larger than the IndyCar teams’ $1 million annual spending.

DRIVERS
    Top F1 team: $47 million; Top IndyCar team: $3 million

Two times world champion Fernando Alonso is one of the highest paid sports stars in the world, receiving an annual salary of $40 million from Ferrari. In contrast leading IndyCar drivers receive $1-2 million per year. Unlike F1 drivers they also receive prize money – $2.5 million for Dario Franchitti when he won last year’s Indy 500 – but are usually expected to give at least half of this to their team.
    ENTRY FEE
    Top F1 team: $3.3 million; Top IndyCar team: $456,000

F1’s governing body, the FIA, operates a complex system for entry fees where each team is charged a basic fee of $500,000, plus $6,000 per point scored in the previous season for the constructors’ champion and $5,000 per point for everyone else. This has left 2012 champion Red Bull Racing with a bill of $3,260,000 this year. In contrast, IndyCar teams pay $12,000 per car per race.

HOSPITALITY
    Top F1 team: $13 million; Top IndyCar team: $1 million

Hospitality may seem like a frivolous extra but it is a crucial part of how an F1 team operates. Sponsors spend up to $100 million annually so expect to receive silver service treatment when they visit a Grand Prix. A top F1 team can spend more on hospitality in a season than an IndyCar team spends on its entire budget. In contrast leading IndyCar teams may spend up to $200,000 at a showpiece event like the Indy 500, but far less at other races.

KEY SUPPLIES
    Top F1 team: Free; Top IndyCar team: $1 million

One area where IndyCar costs far outstrip F1 is in the area of key supplies. Due to the high level of exposure F1 generates, many companies are keen to supply top level products free of charge in return for becoming an official partner of the team. Ferrari, for example, has sponsorship from a range of automotive companies including Shell (gas), SKF (bearings), NGK (spark plugs), Magneti Marelli (electronics) and Brembo (brakes). A typical top IndyCar team spends around $1 million a year on purchasing similar supplies.

OTHER
    Top F1 team: $136.7 million; Top IndyCar team: $3.5 million

*Includes salaries, travel and factory costs.

( Ken Hyndman )
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-27-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks for that ken, very interesting stuff.lots spent on r&d, I guess alot of that revolves around the wind tunnels, these days the new wind tunnels also cater for cross winds as well, not just front on aero, that explains why most f1 wings now have so many slits and winglets, huge money spent trying to get that perfect mix of smooth airflow, downforce, and of course, speed

I recall my big brother telling me re the prizes for winning indy 500...[as teens .. early twenties.]......the money , cars , gold watches etc it was endless........but I guess if you understand the laws of cause & effect they put their life on the line year after year ....[their choice] at the end of the day its only EGO.. sponsors.. money .... & not even a chocolate fish.........life moves on ..not sure who won three years ago or ten .....they drank milk I know that ....perception is magic..........but they drive well