Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiboss View Post
Thanks for the info Steve but that's a bit of a bugger as I always look at the New Zealand and Australian racing history first before proceeding and thought the Gardner Camaro was wedged been an old Ex-US Trans Am car, we know the Moffat 69 Mustang(which raced here) had the wedge nose hence why I done this to my 69 Mustang, its period correct and totally accurate for our New Zealand racing history but will now have to re-evaluate the Camaro wedge. My Camaro is a 68 and not a 67 so if Penske done this to 68 and 69's it could make it possible but not with NZ History, would make it close call and would still luv to do it but need to think on that one.........……..anyway, all interesting info.
The Gardner Camaro wouldn't have had the drooped nose in the Trans-Am when raced by Brown. That was really only something the factory teams did, and it didn't begin until 1968. There was a lot of work involved in doing it, only the big pro teams could do it. Its possible the SCA Freight team could have drooped the nose, but its pretty unlikely. One of the reasons for drooping the nose was to aid top speed, but as the British Saloon Car Championship rules allowed larger engines and more horsepower than the Trans-Am, straight line speed probably wasn't an issue. The factory Trans-Am teams were always looking for any tiny advantage because they all had 5 litre engines and roughly the same horsepower, but that wasn't an issue for the V8 cars in the BSCC.

But you could try asking Rowan Harman though Dale. He owned the car for many years and would know for sure.

Its likely the Rod Coppins '69 Firebird could have had a drooped nose, being a factory Trans-Am car. And Firebirds are pretty similar to Camaros; same body and most panels. The 1968 and '69 racing Firebirds even had Chevy engines!