This is my August E-mailout for Historic Muscle Cars, just sent today. If anyone wish's to be added to my E-mailouts please shoot me an E-mail, dmathers@xtra.co.nz Dale

First up, we must thank the HRC Committee Jim Barclay, Chris Watson, Tony Roberts and Steve Holmes for there undying support for HMC and what we are trying to achieve. These 4 guys want to see a "True" Historic Muscle Car class for O3L Saloons in New Zealand, and with events like the Festival of Speed at Hampton Downs having International exposure and attracting overseas drivers, its fast becoming the premier Historic meeting on the New Zealand racing calendar, all great stuff so lets get in behind these guys and give them our support.

We're just under 6 months out from the January Festival of Speed, http://www.nzfmr.co.nz/ and as this is the kick off for HMC several have asked about further race meetings, this is still been sorted, but it is plan'd to have at least 2 other events thoughout the summer using the Historic Racing Club format such as there Legends/Tasman meetings, we don't want to over do it in the first year as many have other commitments and we still want to nurture owners, and make sure there cars fit HMC rules, i'll keep you posted on this and will have those dates set in concrete before the years out.

We're pretty much past the dead of winter, and plenty has been happening amongst interested HMC racers. Five Vehicle owners have or currently are, converting their engines back to Cast Iron Cylinder Heads as per the MSNZ T&C rules, let alone HMC rules, this is good news!! But by far the greatest interest has been those interested in racing on the correct Goodyear Blue Streak 15" race tyres, we have 6 Vehicles making the change, remember, these are the actual tyres that they raced on in the day, very "period" and "correct" for what we are doing. Though a contact with the American Historic Trans Am group, i have got intouch with their Goodyear Blue Streak Tyre supplier and will be importing several sets in the next few months, if anyone is interested please let me know. And although more expensive than your regular DOT Road tyre, the better US exchange rate has helped close that gap.

I've had lots of positive feedback with what we are acheving, numbers are looking good for BMW, with a couple of purchase's happening and others reconfiguring there current vehicle. Its looking like a pretty even spread of Monaro's, Torana's, Camaro's, Falcons and Mustangs with the Javelin and possibly a Capri V8 or two, etc. And to all those making the extra effort, you need to know that you will not be racing against any NON conforming vehicles, the rules are the rules, NO Grandfathering, NO Mates deals, NO Sponsor's deals, NO Organiser's or Committe privilege's, NO let me race and i'll fix it next time deals, etc, when you're lined up on the dummy grid, and you look across that the guy next to you, you need to know he's "paid" the same price you have to be there. Im less concerned about numbers, we want QUALITY for HMC, if we only get 5 cars and they all 100% legal, thats a great grid to me, but i know we'll easliy better that!!

I spent Saturday afternoon and Sunday at the Auckland Speedshow recently, helping Chris, Tony, Clare, Melissa out at the HRC Stand, a fantastic show with good crowd numbers due too poor mid winter weather. I handed out fliers and spoke with many about HMC, lots more positive news and interest, and offcourse, many questions particulaly regarding rule deffinations. It was great to talk straight and answer these questions directly, and as i've mentioned in pervious mailouts, don't just presume, contact myself or Tony Roberts Tony@hamptondowns.com for a final answer.

Steve Holmes has a great article in the next issue of Classic Car Magazine and another preview in NZV8, he has finally got the HMC website up and running, all voluntary work on Steve's behalf, so check out www.historicmusclecars.co.nz this website is based around our own significant and uniquely rich NZ Saloon Racing History, HMC is about reliving this era.

There are few of you that haven't raced for sometime and are dragging out your race cars!! Check that your MSNZ Race Licence is up to date, if its lapsed you will need to resit it again!! hate for you to turn up at BMW with no licence and can't race!! an item thats easily over looked.

So thats about it for me this month, keep warm and keep working towards that end goal, and remember our HMC moto "The Cars are the Stars" otherwise you're racing with the wrong group, and make sure you join HRC http://www.grandprix.org.nz/Contact_Us.wse their membership deal at $50 is a bargain.